Forums > Photography Talk > pro photography hosting software/sites/portfolios?

Photographer

HJM Photography

Malibu, California, US

What are your favorite pro photographer's websites which showcase their awesome portfolios?

What is the best hosting software/platform/website in your opinion?

Please share links to some of the best websites out there, which present the photographers' awesome portfolios in an optimum manner.

Thanks! smile

Oct 08 12 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Peter Wine

Dayton, Ohio, US

Can't speak to best, as I've not used all of them, but have been pretty happy with PhotoShelter over the past few years.
I have over 40,000 photos in my online archive, as I do my own fulfillment, but there's also options where all the sales are from the online files, and you just collect the money.
Take a look and see what you think:
http://www.photoshelter.com/referral/U0 … 1q3LY/user
(should also get you a discount if you sign up.)

Oct 08 12 10:20 am Link

Photographer

2020 Photography

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Peter Wine wrote:
Can't speak to best, as I've not used all of them, but have been pretty happy with PhotoShelter over the past few years.
I have over 40,000 photos in my online archive, as I do my own fulfillment, but there's also options where all the sales are from the online files, and you just collect the money.
Take a look and see what you think:
http://www.photoshelter.com/referral/U0 … 1q3LY/user
(should also get you a discount if you sign up.)

Peter, thanks for sharing this.  I just looked at PhotoShelter and it may just do what I need it to.  The site looks similar to SmugMug which I used to use but can no longer afford.

It looks like the site is template driven.  How customizable are the templates?  From what you wrote it appears that you are happy with the site.  Any bugs or glitches you are aware of?  It would be nice if you would share some of your impressions of PhotoShelter with us.  Thanks.

Oct 08 12 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

If getting an 'off the shelf' solution then the best are ones where you cannot tell it is such.

No to embedded 'music'; uneccesary flash; 'page being devloped' notices; broken links .........................

Being a showcase for one's images is not the same as being a gateway to your business. Some websites show a great set of images but no pertinent details about the business. Some are the other way around.

Oct 09 12 02:18 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Photo Shelter is great, especially if you are dealing with rights managed sales. If you are just using it to display photos, sell prints and novelty items or royalty free digital downloads I think there are others that are as good and less expensive.

I have a free site on Photo Shelter that is really not used because I at present do not need rights managed sales capability and use Zenfolio which at $120 a year is less expensive than $30 a month. PS is a great company and has a lot of educational programs available regardless of your using their site, as does Zen.

Oct 09 12 06:09 am Link

Photographer

Paul Pickard

Stafford, England, United Kingdom

For a lot of photographers a simple, crisp, clear design, fast loading and viewable on differing platforms is a priority,however, SEO is also vital to a lot of us relying on Google to point clients to our work

Wordpress
Sitewelder
Viewbook
Photoshelter
Zenfolio
Foliolink
Livebooks

Are amongst the market leaders

I am a little surprised that people baulk at pricing.

5% of turnover as marketing is not unusual but of course people get work in a variety of ways besides directing traffic to their sites

I agree on no sound, and alternatives to flash bit there has to be an exception to prove the rule ... www.albertwatson.net

Oct 09 12 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

http://aphotofolio.com is very popular among commercial pros. 

I use it:  www.zavesmith.com

Oct 09 12 02:08 pm Link