Forums > Model Colloquy > have some Portfolio questions

Model

Zack Barnes

Barre, Massachusetts, US

Hello - I'm just starting to build my portfolio and would love some suggestions, comments and advice. Some questions I have are:

1 - How often do you suggest that I  add new images?

2 - Is it the top row that counts? 

3 - What are the advantages and disadvantages of using albums?

4 - I'm feeling a bit disrespectful when thinking about deleting images with comments, lists or views, but is this expected and considered okay? 

THanks for any answers or other words of wisdom.

Oct 11 12 08:40 pm Link

Model

Kitty LaRose

Kansas City, Missouri, US

The answer: it's your portfolio, do what you want to do with it. smile

Oct 11 12 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Lee Nutter

Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

I've wondered about deleting images with comments and lists. Aside from being disrespectful, I guess it looks good to have people commenting or listing your photos.

At the end of the day, it's up to you though. If the photos you've posted no longer represent you as a model or where you want to go with your modeling career, then get rid of them.

For what it's worth, I don't mind if you rearrange your photos in albums or are selective with your top row, but if I don't see (or have to go looking for, and don't find) newish work in your portfolio, I'll probably wonder what you've been up to for the last X months, and seriously question how accurately they represent you now.

edit - grammar.

Oct 11 12 10:37 pm Link

Model

Zack Barnes

Barre, Massachusetts, US

Thanks for your responses.

I have a lot of new images to post and don't want them to get "lost".

I'm thinking that the ones that don't get as many views as others can go. 

BUT, since I do nudes which seem to get a lot of views and comments, my port can't be solely based on them. I want others to know that I do other genres and aren't limited.

I guess I'll learn with time. 

Thanks again.

Oct 12 12 04:31 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Zack Barnes wrote:
Thanks for your responses.

I have a lot of new images to post and don't want them to get "lost".

I'm thinking that the ones that don't get as many views as others can go. 

BUT, since I do nudes which seem to get a lot of views and comments, my port can't be solely based on them. I want others to know that I do other genres and aren't limited.

I guess I'll learn with time. 

Thanks again.

Just divide your images into nudes and non-nudes and drop the less popular ones in both camps (but I have retained some of my less popular ones because I think they deserve more views, so use your own judgment)

Oct 12 12 05:27 am Link

Model

Zack Barnes

Barre, Massachusetts, US

Thanks for your reply.

It's nice to get a feel for how others organize their portfolio (love your port BTW).

I understand about the lower viewed images.  Right now, I have new images to go up, but don't want the last one posted only a few weeks ago to get lost.  They're still generating views, comments and lists, so I guess I'll wait to post more to avoid replacing those in the top row.  Although I don't want to wait too long either, since I'm so new and these new images will add depth to my port.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Oct 14 12 12:55 pm Link

Model

Goodbye4

Los Angeles, California, US

I think albums look cluttered personally.

Definitely make sure you avatar is strong and that your top few rows are the strongest (to encourage people to keep scrolling). Update regularly but only with work that is strong. It's better tpo have fewer strong photos than a bunch of weak ones

Oct 14 12 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Zack Barnes wrote:
...words of wisdom...

Zack there is a single image that is critical to a models/actors book...
That is a strong, compelling headshot...  all else pales in comparison...

Agencies oft "brand" their talent and typically it is the headshot that is the visual used for the aforementioned...

Marketing is a strategic endeavor which benefits from a coherent and focused thread of continuity that speaks to a target audience...

Understand your audience... and market effectively to reach them...

btw, to many clients your perceived worth is no better than the weakest image in your book... think carefully here...

all the best on your journey...

Oct 14 12 02:45 pm Link