Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > What do I need to change or add?

Model

LisaInLondon

London, England, United Kingdom

I have a hard time finding photographers to shoot with. Usually hobby photographers will respond, but they're often not at the same level as I consider my portfolio to be. What do I need to change or add to attract better photographers and make them want to shoot with me? Right now, I mainly use facebook to contact photographers..

Nov 11 12 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jean Renard Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

You are in a catch 22.
Like so many others.

You need great photographers to package you and not hobbyists, this you know, but your presentation is weak and no different from the thousands of hobby models that populate this site (and Facebook) so why should they care?

If you want not to be considered an amateur, you will need to seek out these pros and go to them.  Pros have access to models and lots of opportunities they might reach out to a 15 year old who is 5'11 and with cover girl looks because that can help them tremendously, otherwise they will not, why should they?  You need to convince them. Research them, know their work, pay them, connect somehow.

Keep in mind that there is almost no work outside of the major capitals in Europe, Amsterdam, London, Brussels etc but those all have solid creative communities with ad agencies and a commercial marketplace.  You need to go where the money is.

If you want to have fun, have fun, if you want to work and be a pro, invest in establishing your career or you will be asking the same question next year.

Nov 11 12 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

DWShoots

Minsk, Minsk, Belarus

LizaK wrote:
I have a hard time finding photographers to shoot with. Usually hobby photographers will respond, but they're often not at the same level as I consider my portfolio to be. What do I need to change or add to attract better photographers and make them want to shoot with me? Right now, I mainly use facebook to contact photographers..

Travel to the States. smile

Seriously though, the weeding out process takes time.
Maybe contact some of the studios in your area and see if they could use you for anything?

Nov 11 12 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Ally Moy

New York, New York, US

I feel like I remember you posting in critique a while ago with a totally different port. If my memory is right at all, you are doing fantastically now!

I have to agree that unfortunately your area dictates your possibilities. There are artists everywhere but the majority of the best ones are all in major cities whether living or traveling.

edit: Sorry, my point being that you may have exhausted your area. Great entire post by Jean Renard also.

Nov 14 12 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

S A L B

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

LizaK wrote:

I consider your portfolio to be beyond the hobby level too. You have some really awesome shots in it - well done on working to get into the position where you've got such a strong port.

If you have the opportunity, I suggest you try travelling to attract work and new photographers. Jean Renard is spot on in this regard, so maybe see if you can travel to one or two big cities and do as much TF with quality photographers as you can.

You might also like to sit down with a prospective agent to see if they have any feedback for you as they would know your local market.

I've had a look at your Want to Do list and I'd jump at the chance to do pretty much anything you've got on it. You seem to like big gowns and strong styling/makeup - so your dilemma might be less about finding photographers but more about finding a full team for a shoot. So with that in mind, are there any fashion students/clothing designers/stores etc nearby that you could contact to model their clothing in exchange for images? What about hairdressers? Any of them looking for hair models for competitions? Network, network, network, but that being said I'd never use FB for setting up photoshoots (that's just me though).

Really though, you've got a strong port and maybe use whatever opportunities you can get for yourself to travel and open yourself up to new possibilities with fresh photographers (and MUA/hair/stylist teams).

Best of luck.

Nov 19 12 03:27 am Link