Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Glamour Modeling

Model

Alivia Autumn

Posts: 610

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Hi there.  I just started modeling in April of this year.  I've had about 15 photoshoots since then.  Most of my earlier stuff consisted in me not knowing what the hell I was doing and just basically taking a boat load of portraiture type stuff.  Since then I've decided to transition into glamour as my genre of choice.

A few questions, for a glamour model I'm aware that the model needs to have an "overall pleasing body type" and height isn't necessarily an issue but - should a drop a few lbs?

Second what can I do to improve on my portfolio?

As far as goals go I would like to be the best I can be.  At this moment I am persuing this as a hobby and would like to continue to better myself through TF.  So basically keeping the hobby inexpensive by continuing to produce better images so I have people who would like to work with me.

Image by image critique?  Please and thank you smile

Nov 21 12 07:44 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Posts: 1592

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

You know that many marriages have ended after the wife asked, "Do I look fat in this dress?"  Best answer to that is, "Do I look stupid?"  Only because we will never meet, will I wade into this question.   I think you look better with the extra weight.  Mostly.  If you can keep the extra weight but tone up the abdomen a little bit.  Otherwise a muffin top may be in your near future.  If that does happen, "I like muffins" is how I will respond smile

Not addressing your question- your eyes and hair are terrific and I think you have a great overall look.

Nov 22 12 05:32 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Posts: 1918

Oak Ridge, Tennessee, US

The cup size is pales in comparison to firmness.  A firm A cup beats most saggy shapes, regardless of cup size.  You are better-off keeping weight off; especially w respect to your longevity as a model.  i.e. keeping weight off is a good strategy.

Nov 22 12 08:45 pm Link

Model

Alivia Autumn

Posts: 610

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Hunter Wald wrote:
You know that many marriages have ended after the wife asked, "Do I look fat in this dress?"  Best answer to that is, "Do I look stupid?"  Only because we will never meet, will I wade into this question.   I think you look better with the extra weight.  Mostly.  If you can keep the extra weight but tone up the abdomen a little bit.  Otherwise a muffin top may be in your near future.  If that does happen, "I like muffins" is how I will respond smile

Not addressing your question- your eyes and hair are terrific and I think you have a great overall look.

Lol nice answer. I guess I'm just used to seeing fashion models do glamour ie Victorias secret.

Maybe some pointers on pose? Image by image advice.

Nov 24 12 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Posts: 1871

Los Angeles, California, US

To really go beyond TF and consistently rack up work as a glamour model I think the abdominal region in your case is crucial. Hour glass is tough to achieve and maybe not doable for you, but if it is, do so. The legs-tone them but not too much or you'll be fitness model territory. Since you have later asked about poses, you need a wardrobe that announces you're a glamour model and possibly a pinup as well. Do a lot of research and you may just do well. Good luck and Godspeed to you.

Nov 24 12 04:45 pm Link

Model

Alivia Autumn

Posts: 610

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

LA StarShooter wrote:
To really go beyond TF and consistently rack up work as a glamour model I think the abdominal region in your case is crucial. Hour glass is tough to achieve and maybe not doable for you, but if it is, do so. The legs-tone them but not too much or you'll be fitness model territory. Since you have later asked about poses, you need a wardrobe that announces you're a glamour model and possibly a pinup as well. Do a lot of research and you may just do well. Good luck and Godspeed to you.

Good point.  I'm at about 20-25% body fat, but my waist to hip ratio is still .7
I definitly don't want to go fitness as I'm not into that look.  Thanks

Nov 28 12 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Posts: 8842

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121128/23/50b708a1b7c46_m.jpg
This pose is best described as how to make a models mid section look as large as possible
Your hips are very square to camera, tinniest when placed on angle
Leaning forward will also increase the mass at the tummy area
Your form is lost because your arms are covering up one side of your mid section, so the viewer has no idea where it ends
Your right eye looks cut in half, not the most pleasing in appearance
When the knees are lower then your hips the legs will look their longest


http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121126/18/50b42c67b5ecc_m.jpg
Do not like the pose of hand to mouth
But if you look at your waist in this image see how it looks slimmer then the other photo I selected, because the viewer can see both sides, and you are not leaning forward


You have a great look, just need to learn how to pose it in front of a camera


Find a photographer that is good at posing, or a model that can help you pose during a shoot, till you get the hang of it.. Find a good book of posing see what works, then analyze your photos to see how they could be made better

Wish you well!

Nov 29 12 06:03 am Link

Photographer

Jay Lee Studios

Posts: 1238

San Diego, California, US

Your port is full of bad poses that do not flatter your body at all. If you really want to go after glamour you need to step your game up. You say you do not want fitness, but fitness is part of glamour. You must have a sexy physique to compete in glamour.

Nov 29 12 02:37 pm Link

Model

Alivia Autumn

Posts: 610

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Lee_Photography wrote:
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121128/23/50b708a1b7c46_m.jpg
This pose is best described as how to make a models mid section look as large as possible
Your hips are very square to camera, tinniest when placed on angle
Leaning forward will also increase the mass at the tummy area
Your form is lost because your arms are covering up one side of your mid section, so the viewer has no idea where it ends
Your right eye looks cut in half, not the most pleasing in appearance
When the knees are lower then your hips the legs will look their longest


http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121126/18/50b42c67b5ecc_m.jpg
Do not like the pose of hand to mouth
But if you look at your waist in this image see how it looks slimmer then the other photo I selected, because the viewer can see both sides, and you are not leaning forward


You have a great look, just need to learn how to pose it in front of a camera


Find a photographer that is good at posing, or a model that can help you pose during a shoot, till you get the hang of it.. Find a good book of posing see what works, then analyze your photos to see how they could be made better

Wish you well!

Thanks good advice.  I didn't really like the had there in the second photo myself but that's what I was given.

Nov 30 12 11:07 am Link

Model

Alivia Autumn

Posts: 610

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Jay Lee Studios wrote:
Your port is full of bad poses that do not flatter your body at all. If you really want to go after glamour you need to step your game up. You say you do not want fitness, but fitness is part of glamour. You must have a sexy physique to compete in glamour.

I understand being fit is important for a model, but being a "fitness" model is completely different.  I don't want to be cut.

Secondly I appreciate you looking at my portfolio, but telling me to step up my game is not feedback and gives me no direction of how to "step it up."

Nov 30 12 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Wendy Hurst Portrait

Posts: 245

North Salt Lake, Utah, US

This may or may not be your thing, but since modeling is heavily dependent on capturing body language frame by frame you might want to consider reading a book called The Definitive Book of Body Language. Despite its textbook-like title it's a comfortable read and continues to influence how I pose my models during shoots. You might benefit from it as well.

Nov 30 12 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Posts: 1730

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Jay Lee Studios wrote:
Your port is full of bad poses that do not flatter your body at all. If you really want to go after glamour you need to step your game up. You say you do not want fitness, but fitness is part of glamour. You must have a sexy physique to compete in glamour.

This is accurate

Even top plus size models are in good shape!

Dec 01 12 02:13 am Link

Photographer

Jay Lee Studios

Posts: 1238

San Diego, California, US

Alivia Autumn wrote:

I understand being fit is important for a model, but being a "fitness" model is completely different.  I don't want to be cut.

Secondly I appreciate you looking at my portfolio, but telling me to step up my game is not feedback and gives me no direction of how to "step it up."

Me saying step your game was we referring to everything. Your body is average at best. You need a tighter midsection and more tone on the rest of your body. No one is saying be cut and ripped. But being toned is part of the job.

Also look at your photos from an outside prospective.  Would Maxim hire you based on what you have here? Would playboy? Would sports illustrated? Would American Curves? I would say no. 

Not one of your photos shows your midsection. To me as a photographer that tells me you are hiding something. Usually means out of shape.  The quality of your photos from editing, lighting, and posing are lacking. I highly suggest hiring a pro photographer and paying the rates they ask for so you can see what a REAL photo shoot is like as well as get high quality images for your portfolio.

You will learn more in that one shoot that you will in a year from shooting with hobbyists and GWC's.

Good luck.

Dec 01 12 08:03 pm Link

Model

Alivia Autumn

Posts: 610

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Jay Lee Studios wrote:

Me saying step your game was we referring to everything. Your body is average at best. You need a tighter midsection and more tone on the rest of your body. No one is saying be cut and ripped. But being toned is part of the job.

Also look at your photos from an outside prospective.  Would Maxim hire you based on what you have here? Would playboy? Would sports illustrated? Would American Curves? I would say no. 

Not one of your photos shows your midsection. To me as a photographer that tells me you are hiding something. Usually means out of shape.  The quality of your photos from editing, lighting, and posing are lacking. I highly suggest hiring a pro photographer and paying the rates they ask for so you can see what a REAL photo shoot is like as well as get high quality images for your portfolio.

You will learn more in that one shoot that you will in a year from shooting with hobbyists and GWC's.

Good luck.

I appreciate you answering my initial question on getting into shape, but I think you over looked the fact that it says I'm a hobby model.  Maybe it's my fault for posting in the serious critique section but I was trying to avoid blanket "you need work" statements.

No I do not think nor would I expect a prestigious publication to hire me, as the OP says I am a hobby model.  I model for fun and for hobby photographers.

As far as my midsection goes I have it posted on facebook which is linked to my MM profile, my poses though in that outfit weren't up to par, hence them being on FB and not here since I have limited pic slots.

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u369/tightlacer7/websizeSabrina021.jpg

I used to look like this

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u369/tightlacer7/b83aac23b9528732c23cc7352950e880_20110616003446_720.jpg

I wasn't in shape, I certainly wasn't working out.  I was hyperthyroid, and I'm still hyperthyroid and balancing levels.  When you initally said get in shape I was imagining bodies in the 10% to 17% body fat range.

As for your last statement about learning from "professional photographers" obviously it would be a waste to invest money into that until I'm in shape, since an "average" body isn't desirable in the glamour field.

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u369/tightlacer7/61947_4285636776938_726452511_n.jpg

Personally I think the 17% - 30% catagories look best but who knows, I'm a woman, and you named men's magazines.

Dec 03 12 11:55 am Link