Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Mixed race afro hair..

Model

Alegra Thomas

London, England, United Kingdom

I have been wearing weaves for a long time and feel it holds me back modeling wise and would love to get top notch natural hair! I went to an interview at a great London agency and was turned down because my hair and skin wasn't agency standard sad Skin is another battle but I've been to the doctors and been prescribed some tablets which will hopefully help as I've tried everything else! So now it's just hair! Grrrr lol! xx

Nov 22 12 06:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

Aaliyah Oke

London, England, United Kingdom

Alegra Thomas wrote:
I have been wearing weaves for a long time and feel it holds me back modeling wise and would love to get top notch natural hair! I went to an interview at a great London agency and was turned down because my hair and skin wasn't agency standard sad Skin is another battle but I've been to the doctors and been prescribed some tablets which will hopefully help as I've tried everything else! So now it's just hair! Grrrr lol! xx

*I'll just throw this out there :I'm not a hairdresser at all but I've had lot's of experience with weave being black myself (with mixed race hair having Indian and Irish blood) and also doing weave for others to a high standard.*

If you want to get top notch natural hair first thing first you need to get rid of the weave! It's a bold move but it's the first step and it's one that works. I haven't worn extensions in any form for two years and I haven't relaxed my hair for two years too and the quality of my hair has improved drastically. I wear a headscarf so that probably helps too !

There are so many ways to improve the natural state of black hair were gonnah be here forever if I list them all. But firstly, bin the weave. The weave puts stress on your hair and pulls on it. Glue or sew it mashes it up.

-Next wear your hair in a protective style. Braid it before bed...every night without fail. Wear a silk scarf. Silk scarfs do my nut in because they slide around so I wrap one around my pillow instead. This stops friction and also stops absorbing the oils in your hair like a cotton case would. Cotton is your enemy smile

-Wash your hair ! There is a big misconception amongst black women that washing our hair isn't good and makes it dry. Use a moisturising shampoo. I like Aussies shampoo and conditioner. At least twice a week and con-poo inbetween.

-Products- Do you use DAX or any of those greases ? Stop, it does nothing for your hair just makes it heavy and greasy. For the last 6+ months I have only been using shampoo, conditioner and pure olive/coconut oil. Just that. No off the shelf stuff. I put it in whilst my hair is damp and then protective style it. On a girly night I put olive oil hair products in my hair but that's only in a blue moon.

-Reduce use of heat on the hair and when you do use a protectant. I air dry my hair always.

- Trim those split ends. I hate seeing my hair a tiny bit shorter but it helps in the long run.

This way might be hard for you to follow because protective styles don't look great. But lucky me I wear a headscarf so when I go out I'm wearing these ugly doo-doo plaits underneath aha but when I take the plaits out it's really nice and curly.(Being a muslim has it's benefits wink ) You Tube-braid outs.

If your not ready then I would suggest doing the above but instead wearing a wig/quick weave in the meantime. (Still damamging) If your hair is relaxed  I would advise you to stop doing that too. I bet your natural hair is gorgeous, you just have to let it be smile For modelling, I think you should invest in a full lace wig. A really good one costs alot of money but it is a investment. It should be human hair this allows you to put your hair up and style it as you wish smile

Nov 22 12 03:13 pm Link