Forums > Model Colloquy > Female/Male Photographers

Photographer

STT Photography

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

David J Martin wrote:

Wow, judging from your comment, you'd have us believe the difference between fe/male photographers is that male photographers are unprofessional and female photographers are professional.  That's very close minded of you.

David, you didn't know that all males are inept perverts that just want to see titties?

Dec 25 12 07:12 am Link

Photographer

ADB-Fotografie

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

JoJo wrote:
Pros of a female photographer...

a female photographer knows a little better how the female body turns/twists/bends thus eliminating "now lift your right foot... higher... great... now lift your left foot... wadda mean you can't float?"

a female photographer usually doesn't resort to "oh ya baby, gimme more of that" and "go girl, yer makin me hot" and "oh ya, you got my little friend paying attention now"

Wow, that's very... Judgemental.

An experienced male photographer knows how the female body turns and twists 1000x better then an inexperienced female photographer. Experience, not gender.

Plus, a male photographer  doesn't resort to any of the lines you mention above. If you heard those, you weren't working with a photographer, you were working with a GWC.

Dec 25 12 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

JoJo wrote:

a female photographer knows a little better how the female body turns/twists/bends thus eliminating "now lift your right foot... higher... great... now lift your left foot... wadda mean you can't float?"

a female photographer usually doesn't resort to "oh ya baby, gimme more of that" and "go girl, yer makin me hot" and "oh ya, you got my little friend paying attention now"

I've talked to several female photographers who say that a male would never get away with acting like they do.

Dec 25 12 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Pawlak

New York, New York, US

JoJo wrote:

Usually.

Dec 25 12 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Rollo David Snook wrote:
If you want a professional experience, then work with someone who has themselves assisted a professional, otherwise expect some chance of naivety, ignorance and "tourism". Only a chance though.

If you are dealing with self-taught beginners with no formal qualifications or work experience, then it's wasting your time to expect them to get everything right, be focused in the right directions, or to give you the best possible experience and learning curve.

My advice to some MM models would be to not complain, but go and watch an industry fashion shoot. That then equips you handsomely to know when your internet photographer is out of line or not.

I know very few fashion photographers who would refuse a student, beginner or model watching them, in return for a little assisting.

Because everyone knows that "real industry" people NEVER act inappropriately toward models, right?

Dec 26 12 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

my_other_profile wrote:
...I just realized that I don't think I've ever worked with a female photographer.  I don't think a female photographer has ever messaged me asking to shoot.  I get messages from female models...and not female photographers.  That didn't even occur to me until I saw this thread.

Is it because of what I shoot?

Huh.

I know of several females who shoot great art nudes.  Not that I want you to shoot with them instead of me.  smile

Dec 26 12 08:34 am Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Boston, Massachusetts, US

JoJo wrote:

Oh my head...please tell me someone hasn't said stuff like that to you.

Dec 26 12 08:54 am Link

Photographer

KA Style

Syracuse, New York, US

The only thing I know for me anyways.. is me being a female I can get away with more because they dont have that "this photographer is a perv feeling" and they dont always feel the need to bring an llama herder.

If I were to say I got ya creamin' like the above comment it would be more funny and not make them feel a bit weird. lol Its totally something I would say in that predicament just because Im a bit goofy! ha ha

Dec 26 12 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Shaune Saunders

St Thomas, Virgin Islands, US

twoharts wrote:
and female photographers can get away with stuff that males can't. i know one female boudoir photographer who is basically like "let's get you drunk and naked and make some fun pictures" (if a male advertised like that he'd probably wind up on a sex offender list).

Everyone can say that it doesnt matter, and it really doesnt if you are shooting commercial shots but for intimate shoots it makes a difference.

There was also a member who wrote that most (not all) of the more reveling shoots of female models are "for men." So who better to deliver a males perspective than a man. Same goes for male models. If a male model wants to do shots that evoke that wow factor with women, get a female tog.

Just my opinion.

Jan 05 13 12:30 am Link

Photographer

DCP Glamour

Dunwoody, Georgia, US

Shaune Saunders wrote:
Everyone can say that it doesnt matter, and it really doesnt if you are shooting commercial shots but for intimate shoots it makes a difference.

There was also a member who wrote that most (not all) of the more reveling shoots of female models are "for men." So who better to deliver a males perspective than a man. Same goes for male models. If a male model wants to do shots that evoke that wow factor with women, get a female tog.

Just my opinion.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. I know a lot of women who love to look at female nudes, and not for purposes of arousal. Just last night I had dinner with a friend of mine who is a model. She was showing me photos she liked on this site and others, all of which featured female models and most of which were nudes. Many times she'd say something like, "This is really hot," or "So sexy."

It seems like most women I've met are comfortable looking at pictures of naked women and evaluating how beautiful and/or sexy they are.

Jan 05 13 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Faze1 photography

Lawndale, California, US

JoJo wrote:

Huh? Lol! I just learned that I'm female. This is very interesting. wink

Jan 05 13 01:34 am Link

Photographer

M BEALS STUDIOS

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

RoryBanwellPhotography wrote:
I am a female photographer (don't let my name fool you) and was wondering which sex models (regardless of gender) feel more comfortable with..

Pro's and Con's of each??

Actually, I have noticed working with many models and listening to conversations while we work, that the comfort levels really can go either way depending on the demeanor of the photographer. I have been given names of photographers that "were seriously unprofessional and tried to go further than photography" all the way to "you would love working with that guy". I actually have one model that I work with that has made it clear that she will not do nudes with male photogs except me, but doesnt have a problem with females. It also goes the same way with male models-many wont get naked for a male photographer but have no problems with a female photographer. I was recently asked if my female partner could do this guys photos instead of me cuz he was uncomfortable nude around men. ...all in the outlook I guess.

Jan 05 13 07:24 pm Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

doesn't matter, as long as they know what they're doing and don't act like an asshole.

Jan 05 13 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Gonzales Pictures

Amarillo, Texas, US

When it comes to professional models being photographed, then I would agree that gender is irrelevant. When it comes to clients, there can be a major difference.  Part of photographing nonmodels or clients is knowing that they are likely stepping out of their comfort zone and need to be able to be comfortable on set.

Someone mentioned Christa Meola. She does state a lot about how to put your client at ease.  One thing she said I feel is very relevant: "Not everyone who calls is your client".  Some nonmodels will be comfortable with a specific gender of photographer for their very personal reasons.  If that's the case realize that for them it is an issue and let them go with someone they can be comfortable shooting with.  There's plenty of other people in the world to photograph.

Jan 05 13 11:47 pm Link

Model

Governor

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I wondered the same ... as I am just starting out.  My first instinct was to think that a female photographer would capture what women would like to see of me, from me, etc ... as in thru "her eyes", and consequently her lens.

But Idk.  Many of the comments make sense.

Being in St Louis seems to have it's limits for me and the fact I am new to this industry is not helping me find answers either. 

Anyone's advise, especially other men models, middle aged and otherwise, would be greatly appreciated!  And female photographers who agree or do not agree ... and are willing to share with me/us why.

Jan 19 13 04:50 pm Link

Model

Miroslava Svoboda

Seattle, Washington, US

I agree with Axioma. Professionally it doesn't and shouldn't matter. If I be absolutely honest it does.

Jan 19 13 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I cannot believe nobody wants to be the last man photographer in the world anymore... 3smile

Jan 21 13 11:49 am Link

Model

xMissLaurenElizabethx

Boca Raton, Florida, US

Lynn Elizabeth wrote:
I don't prefer one over the other. I just prefer a photographer who conducts themselves professionally.

Couldn't have said it better myself - I don't have a gender preference but I am a professional and I do expect the photographers I work with to conduct themselves in a professional manner as well, there's just no excuse to act any other way.

Jan 21 13 05:15 pm Link