Forums > Model Colloquy > What do you do when you don't like the editing...

Model

Maggie Xia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Have this ever happen to you? You are excited about pictures from a shoot, then you see the edited pictures from the photographer...

I don't want to sound unappreciative, I know the photographer puts a lot of energy and time into editing the photos. But pretty much every single picture he edited is worse than the original one! I really want to tell him to just give me the raw films and put his logo on it, but I know that he doesn't give out unedited photos (I have access to a spreadsheet of the originals, but they are too small for MM and have giant logos over them), and I don't want to sound rude.

Have this ever happen to you? what should I do?

Thanks

Dec 05 12 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

kitty_empire

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Talk to him smile

Dec 05 12 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Did you like the editing he did on the photos you looked at before deciding to work with him? If not - then you shouldn't be surprised by the outcome.
If you did, ask him why your images don't have the same quality of post his other images do.

Dec 05 12 12:32 pm Link

Model

Maggie Xia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

intense puppy wrote:
Talk to him smile

When he sent me the first edited photo earlier I told him that I didn't like the editing very much and how much I love the originals. I don't want to tell him that again since the first time didn't do too much.

Dec 05 12 12:33 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

I just thank them politely and use the pictures in one of my alternate online homes (facebook fan page, twitter, tumblr whatever) if they aren't quite portfolio pieces.

It isn't my business to tell a photographer how to edit, as they put the image out into the world the way they want their name/brand represented.

No hurt feelings, and nothing goes to waste.

Dec 05 12 12:35 pm Link

Model

Maggie Xia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

John Allan wrote:
Did you like the editing he did on the photos you looked at before deciding to work with him? If not - then you shouldn't be surprised by the outcome.
If you did, ask him why your images don't have the same quality of post his other images do.

The way he edited my pics...he only edited one out of ~30 pics in his port this way..yeah I probably should tell him I like the other edits he did better...but he hasn't been replying my text for over 10 days...I haven't got all of my edits back yet.

Dec 05 12 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Tell the photographer what you like to have done, exact and precise. Don't say things like do whatever to make it look good.

Dec 05 12 12:40 pm Link

Model

Maggie Xia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Paige Morgan wrote:
I just thank them politely and use the pictures in one of my alternate online homes (facebook fan page, twitter, tumblr whatever) if they aren't quite portfolio pieces.

It isn't my business to tell a photographer how to edit, as they put the image out into the world the way they want their name/brand represented.

No hurt feelings, and nothing goes to waste.

If it comes down to that I'll probably just put one or two pics on my mm account then delete them a wk later as I don't have a fanpage nor a website. I understand that it's a photographer's choice to edit the photos anyway they want to and I respect that. It's just sad that I have to let go of some potentially really good pics...=/

Dec 05 12 12:42 pm Link

Model

Maggie Xia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
Tell the photographer what you like to have done, exact and precise. Don't say things like do whatever to make it look good.

I'm think I have told him "these pictures really don't need much edits" before I knew what he was going to do. And to be honest, I am not very good at instruct ppl at editing. But I can definitely tell if the pic became better or worse after the editing. At this moment I just want to see what he has did with the rest of my pics so far then talk to him depends on that..but still...haven't got a reply from him for over 10 days...

Dec 05 12 12:46 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

get clear and specific about what you find objectionable with the edits and talk with the photographer... If you can make it specific enough it will become about the specific issue instead of how crappy he made them look... maybe he can do something about them.

Dec 05 12 12:49 pm Link

Model

Victoria MHP

Houston, Texas, US

I say just charge it to the game wink

Meaning, if your profile will not benefit from them...don't use them smile. I have not posted every single shoot I've done, I just think about it like I just gained a little more experience.

Dec 05 12 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Vincente Lopez

Seattle, Washington, US

Victoria Herrera wrote:
I say just charge it to the game wink

hahah! Best quote of the day.

Dec 05 12 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Emmiq wrote:
Have this ever happen to you? You are excited about pictures from a shoot, then you see the edited pictures from the photographer...

I don't want to sound unappreciative, I know the photographer puts a lot of energy and time into editing the photos. But pretty much every single picture he edited is worse than the original one! I really want to tell him to just give me the raw films and put his logo on it, but I know that he doesn't give out unedited photos (I have access to a spreadsheet of the originals, but they are too small for MM and have giant logos over them), and I don't want to sound rude.

Thanks

Ask him if he would consider giving a couple of select images to you so that you could have someone retouch them for you.

At worst he will say no and you are no worse off than where you are now.

The easiest way to to use it as a learning experience and move on to other photographers. Don't make a big deal out of it. The horse has already escaped the barn.

Your opportunity to discuss his work and processing ability has long past. Should have been taken care of up front if you had any concerns.

Dec 05 12 01:09 pm Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If you told him you didn't like the editing done to your other pictures and now he's ignoring you, chances are he's upset.

There isn't really a nice way of saying, "I hate what you did to this picture"

You can always find a picture in his port that is edited the way you like and ask him if he can edit yours the same way.

When I get back edits that I don't like I just say thank you and don't post it anywhere.

Dec 05 12 01:15 pm Link

Retoucher

Zoltan Retoucher

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

Ask him for raw images and simply hire good retoucher smile

My work
https://i.imgur.com/uSrrJ.jpg

Partner work
https://i.imgur.com/Gpoz5.jpg

http://highendretouchers.com/

Dec 05 12 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

"I like the images that you shot so much that I would like to send a few off to a professional retoucher to really make them the best they can be.

Could you provide a few of the best RAW files and I'll happily share the results with you if you would like to add them to your portfolio as well?

Thanks so much for your time..."

That would have been a better initial contact than "I really don't like what you did with these..." It might be too late for that now as it seems his feewings got hurt.

Dec 05 12 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

NicoleNudes wrote:
If you told him you didn't like the editing done to your other pictures and now he's ignoring you, chances are he's upset.

You can always find a picture in his port that is edited the way you like and ask him if he can edit yours the same way.

When I get back edits that I don't like I just say thank you and don't post it anywhere.

Best advice here.

Dec 05 12 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

L E O N A R D O  wrote:

You mean to say "ask him to hire a professional retoucher and give him/her permission to edit the photos".

OP: Do NOT ask the photographer for the RAW files and get them retouched without his permission. EVER.

Dec 05 12 01:52 pm Link

Model

Maggie Xia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
"I like the images that you shot so much that I would like to send a few off to a professional retoucher to really make them the best they can be.

Could you provide a few of the best RAW files and I'll happily share the results with you if you would like to add them to your portfolio as well?

That would have been a better initial contact than "I really don't like what you did with these..." It might be too late for that now as it seems his feewings got hurt.

NicoleNudes wrote:

I don't think he is upset at me because he sent me the spreadsheet of all my pics to choose from for editing after I told him that I didn't like the first edit that much. Hopefully he won't see this thread and realize I am talking about him lol

Yeah..maybe this is a lost cause...I'll try to call him in a few days to see if I could at least get the rest of the pics I picked out...

Dec 05 12 01:53 pm Link

Model

Maggie Xia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Opps double post =p

Dec 05 12 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

This. Compliments and flattery gets a model everywhere... just like real life. Keep things as positive always as possible.

Also sometimes when I worked for famous magazines, I hated what the designers or typographers did to the photographs sometimes, I can't remember ever complaining about it.

There's an art director in all of us, but it is a team effort and sometimes you have to accept not everything in a production will go your way, if you are not the producer/client.

Dec 05 12 01:54 pm Link

Model

Maggie Xia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

SPierce Photography wrote:

You mean to say "ask him to hire a professional retoucher and give him/her permission to edit the photos".

OP: Do NOT ask the photographer for the RAW files and get them retouched without his permission. EVER.

Yeah I learned that one the hard way lol Innocent mistake though....

Dec 05 12 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

Emmiq wrote:

Yeah I learned that one the hard way lol Innocent mistake though....

Hey, stuff happens. Especially if you didn't know, I wouldn't blame you. I would, however, smack the hell in real life out of any retoucher that implies to *anyone* that doing that is OK, so just had to say something!

I hope you get it worked out borat

Dec 05 12 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Permission of course. But I don't know how realistic it would be to expect the photographer to fund the retouches in this instance. He seemed to like the images and appears to be upset at the suggestion that they were less than ideal.

But you're absolutely right about informing the photographer that she is interested in outsourcing the retouching and getting permission. It might be a tough sell because she may have already burned that bridge. But it's a good lesson for future shoots if the post work becomes an issue.

Dec 05 12 02:00 pm Link

Model

Maggie Xia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Rollo David Snook wrote:

This. Compliments and flattery gets a model everywhere... just like real life. Keep things as positive always as possible.

Also sometimes when I worked for famous magazines, I hated what the designers or typographers did to the photographs sometimes, I can't remember ever complaining about it.

There's an art director in all of us, but it is a team effort and sometimes you have to accept not everything in a production will go your way, if you are not the producer/client.

Agree. I just hope that I can get at least 1-2 pics from a good shoot that I am proud to use lol. I actually have some unflattering pics on some photographers' port..I don't really care about those pics as long as they are not on my port.

Dec 05 12 02:03 pm Link

Model

Maggie Xia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hey, stuff happens. Especially if you didn't know, I wouldn't blame you. I would, however, smack the hell in real life out of any retoucher that implies to *anyone* that doing that is OK, so just had to say something!

I hope you get it worked out borat

that was a diff photographer I worked with...I don't think he wants to talk to me anymore but well...we all learn from our mistakes smile

Dec 05 12 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Simple, tell them you would like to submit them to local agencies and they want unretocuhed images.  It's not untrue, all the agencies in the area want unretocuhed images (OK a few will take minimal retocuhing).

Dec 05 12 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

deathendroad

Bowling Green, Kentucky, US

i find as a photographer (in the making) ill use myself to explain this. if i were the one who took your photos, sent you ones i edited and you sent me a message back saying i dont like this edit. what i would do is go back to the original and try again. however, if you send me another saying i like the originals better what i will do is do a slight edit for the site intead of going over the top. meaning id more likely just adjust the lighting and would slightly tone you up a bit. but if a photo really dosent need retouching i wouldnt do anything to it.

i would IN NO WAY ignore your opipion on your own photos. regardless of if i took them or some one else did. what im saying is its a bit rude for a photographer to just not reply to their models. regardless of if they disagree with something they change in a photo or not. i understand most take a TON of time to do an edit. but in my opipion if some one took all that time to edit they should either let the model know this is what i do i spend x amount of time on editing these photos. if you dont like some thing please let me know what you would LIKE to see and ill see what i come up with.

Dec 05 12 02:15 pm Link

Model

Victoria MHP

Houston, Texas, US

Vincente Lopez wrote:

hahah! Best quote of the day.

I can be a little gangster sometimes wink tehe.

Dec 05 12 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

L E O N A R D O  wrote:

My work
https://i.imgur.com/uSrrJ.jpg

Partner work
https://i.imgur.com/Gpoz5.jpg

Following this advice is likely to make the situation worse:
     1- Most photographers won't give you the raw images, especially if they think
         you're going to have them retouched in a style different from theirs.
     2- Most ethical retouchers (in the U.S. at any rate) won't do it without the
         photographer's authorization.  And would you want to depend on the
         other kind?
All IMHO, as always.

Dec 05 12 02:39 pm Link

Model

E e v a

Nashville, Tennessee, US

A lot of the photographer's I've worked with, like taking photos, not so much editing fine details for eight hours. If I want something retouched to the best I can get (not saying the photographers I've worked with suck at editing or anything. They're actually pretty good. I'm just picky) I offer to pay a retoucher to contact them and have them fix up the raw images.

This means I never have to touch the raw images, and add that to the deal of both of us getting really good quality images, its a win win deal. Most accept, because the images come out good.

Dec 05 12 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Beautifully Soft Focus

Plano, Texas, US

Emmiq wrote:

When he sent me the first edited photo earlier I told him that I didn't like the editing very much and how much I love the originals. I don't want to tell him that again since the first time didn't do too much.

move on lots of other great photog around the ATL wink

Dec 05 12 03:26 pm Link

Retoucher

Zoltan Retoucher

Samantha Emme wrote:
A lot of the photographer's I've worked with, like taking photos, not so much editing fine details for eight hours. If I want something retouched to the best I can get (not saying the photographers I've worked with suck at editing or anything. They're actually pretty good. I'm just picky) I offer to pay a retoucher to contact them and have them fix up the raw images.

This means I never have to touch the raw images, and add that to the deal of both of us getting really good quality images, its a win win deal. Most accept, because the images come out good.

+1

Dec 05 12 03:49 pm Link

Model

Goodbye4

Los Angeles, California, US

I'd say in this situation, unfortunately, you're shit out of luck.

Dec 05 12 04:48 pm Link

Retoucher

Zoltan Retoucher

Kelleth wrote:

Plus one lol

Dec 05 12 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

move on, make more.  just because a picture is taken and edited doesn't mean it will be useful.  if more thought in those terms there wouldn't be so much crap in portfolios.

Dec 05 12 07:01 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Emmiq wrote:

Thanks

It depends on your relationship with the photographer. Most I would recommend is asking if you may have one without the editing for your own use. However, the photograph belongs to the artist/photographer who took the shot. If you didn't like what he/she did with their work before you shot with him/her or had a specific idea in mind of how you did want them edited then prior to the shoot would have been the time to discuss it.

Jen

Dec 05 12 07:22 pm Link

Model

- Aina -

Redlands, California, US

Kelleth wrote:

And, unfortunately, I have to completely agree. Though, a couple pictures I ended up tweaking when I first started modeling. Thankfully, I never got ripped for it. A photographer later told me that I need to have permission to do such things (he was educating me on the industry and we covered this exact topic, haha). You'll live. Don't use them if you don't like them or feel they would market you well.

Dec 05 12 10:55 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

i usually just suck it up and move on.
especially if the photographer paid me.

Dec 05 12 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Coogan Photo

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Chuckarelei wrote:

Offer to sit next to the photographer while he edits your images... I have never once had a model offer to do that, they usually want their images fast and don't seem to understand that we have multiple paying clients to take care of,and want to do a quality job on the editing (often times I send 1-2 hours on an image, and it's exhausting some days)...  and as much as I would love to turn around their images in a couple of days, there are not enough hours in the day for me to accomplish everything all want/need to get done, including editing for my own portfolio.

Dec 06 12 12:36 am Link