Forums > Photography Talk > Agency Approved First Year Photographers?

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

my work has been published by most of the major, top tier publishers in the country
and a good amount of my images can be seen on the women's boards in some of the better known agencies...

and i have never been "agency approved"...

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Dec 13 12 06:36 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Starsquid wrote:
I'm a bit confused, we're in the process of trying to get signed by an agency and being represented. Is there a difference between "agency approved" and "getting signed by an agency and being represented"?

an artist's representative will normally find work for an artist, much like a model agency will find work for a model.

and while they effectively work for the artist, they are very selective as to whom they work for. it's very tough to get a good rep unless you are billing more then $100k already (or you have some crazy talent/potential). in order for a rep to expose you to his valuable list of clients, he needs to be sure you have something to offer his clients, that he doesn't already have to offer.

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Dec 13 12 06:44 am Link

Photographer

Starsquid

s-Gravenhage, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

S W I N S K E Y wrote:
an artist's representative will normally find work for an artist, much like a model agency will find work for a model.

and while they effectively work for the artist, they are very selective as to whom they work for. it's very tough to get a good rep unless you are billing more then $100k already (or you have some crazy talent/potential). in order for a rep to expose you to his valuable list of clients, he needs to be sure you have something to offer his clients, that he doesn't already have to offer.

That's what I though this was all about, until I read something with model agencies and testing so I got confused with this 'agency' approved thing and what it meant. Agency represented is what I'm after in my case.

Dec 13 12 06:50 am Link

Photographer

DennisRoliffPhotography

Akron, Ohio, US

ChiMo II wrote:
God, whatever you do, don't go into them saying you want to "become agency approved." They'll go WTF and peg you as a MM guy.

You tell them you want to test with some of their new faces and show them your work.

beat me to it. https://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/wink.gif

Dec 13 12 09:14 am Link

Photographer

J E W E T T

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

Anne Le Monde wrote:
1st year male photographers often think they're better than they actually are. Keep working on your skills, look at models' published pics to learn what agencies want. Deep down you know the answer to your question. :-)

Wow.  Just wow.

Especially after reviewing your...oh, wait; you are a girl.  Your work is perfect.  Sorry about that.

Dec 13 12 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Matt Forma

Denver, Colorado, US

This article has some very useful information on the "how" part of approaching an agency from a photographers perspective. Hope it helps out - http://lucimablog.blogspot.com/2010/10/ … roved.html

Dec 13 12 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Ben Hinman

Westwood, California, US

Starsquid wrote:

That's what I though this was all about, until I read something with model agencies and testing so I got confused with this 'agency' approved thing and what it meant. Agency represented is what I'm after in my case.

From what i understand there's far less agencies out there for photographers and they're far more prestigious and selective... You'll have a much easier time joining a collective or alliance. Not saying you shouldn't aim for it as an eventual goal, but it'll take a while.

Dec 13 12 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Ben Hinman

Westwood, California, US

Matt Forma wrote:
This article has some very useful information on the "how" part of approaching an agency from a photographers perspective. Hope it helps out - http://lucimablog.blogspot.com/2010/10/ … roved.html

Already read that one! Great blog smile

Dec 13 12 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Photomezzo

Venice, California, US

OP, assuming you're not a hobbyist, there's an alternative methodology: You can shoot for fashion clients. You are then--usually but not always--de facto shooting with agency models and are more valuable to an agency than someone who just tests. A fashion "client" can range from a student at FIDM to a full on fast fashion retailer/distributor of which there are dozens in LA. Its then pretty easy to make the pivot to seeing if the model will test and then you follow up with her agency.

Dec 13 12 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Ben Hinman

Westwood, California, US

Photomezzo wrote:
OP, assuming you're not a hobbyist, there's an alternative methodology: You can shoot for fashion clients. You are then--usually but not always--de facto shooting with agency models and are more valuable to an agency than someone who just tests. A fashion "client" can range from a student at FIDM to a full on fast fashion retailer/distributor of which there are dozens in LA. Its then pretty easy to make the pivot to seeing if the model will test and then you follow up with her agency.

I've been reaching out to aspiring stylists in the fashion program here at Ai Los Angeles. FIDM is a good idea too. I've also been applying for part time and freelance photography jobs at swimwear and fashion boutiques. Don't worry, i dont get models and clients confused... There's a very small market for paid testing and i'd be lucky to even make a living from it.

Dec 13 12 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Starsquid

s-Gravenhage, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Ben Hinman wrote:
From what i understand there's far less agencies out there for photographers and they're far more prestigious and selective... You'll have a much easier time joining a collective or alliance. Not saying you shouldn't aim for it as an eventual goal, but it'll take a while.

I agree, it's not easy because most of the already signed photographers already have a whole career/credits and stuff, but fortunately we're already in talks with some agencies and received an invite from one already. I do believe we have a good shot. So fingers crossed! smile

Dec 14 12 04:07 am Link

Photographer

Amul La La

London, England, United Kingdom

Anne Le Monde wrote:
1st year male photographers often think they're better than they actually are. Keep working on your skills, look at models' published pics to learn what agencies want. Deep down you know the answer to your question. :-)

Nice, way to get a decent rapport going in the thread.

Dec 14 12 07:24 am Link

Photographer

D-Fotograf

Frankfurt, Hassia, Germany

S W I N S K E Y wrote:
my work has been published by most of the major, top tier publishers in the country
and a good amount of my images can be seen on the women's boards in some of the better known agencies...

and i have never been "agency approved"...

In the 30+ years I have been involved with photography I've found that agencies are relationships like a new girlfriend. At first *(she) or they are great, but as time progresses its all about them. Use them for what you need them for, and keep a good relationship, but remember there are others too.
Agency approved? Bah-humbug!

Dec 14 12 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Ben Hinman

Westwood, California, US

Starsquid wrote:

I agree, it's not easy because most of the already signed photographers already have a whole career/credits and stuff, but fortunately we're already in talks with some agencies and received an invite from one already. I do believe we have a good shot. So fingers crossed! smile

Congratulations! I hope everything goes well for you.

Dec 14 12 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

sanjayb

Los Angeles, California, US

OP while it is not particularly difficult to get "agency approved" (model wise). One thing that these agencies often look for in addition to outstanding photography is a book full of agency models (unless you find an "in" somewhere). The LA agencies have a number of photographers to choose from that have a ton of quality shots (especially the top ones). While I am not allowed to critique your portfolio here consider that before you approach them.

Dec 15 12 12:13 am Link