Forums > General Industry > First photoshoot with three models. Tips?

Photographer

William Wu

New York, New York, US

Hey guys,

I am new to fashion photography and I got a gig for my friends ad campaign. He has a women's clothing line and there are going to be three models that I will be shooting. Do you guys have any tips on shooting multiple models? I've done just one model and it's pretty smooth and easy, but I can see how three models can get chaotic. How do I split up the shots? What if one model wants the same shot I had with another model? Etc.

Opinons, tips, comments are all welcome.

Thanks!

Dec 10 12 01:27 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

WWPhotography  wrote:
What if one model wants the same shot I had with another model? Etc.

well who is directing the shoot?
you or the models or your friend?

meet with whoever the artistic director is and plan the shots ahead of time based on the brand. smile

if its generic catalog stuff, then its probably ok for the models to all do the same few poses in the different outfits and then sort out later which will be used.

Dec 10 12 01:37 am Link

Photographer

William Wu

New York, New York, US

I will be directing the shoot. The models are either first timers or amateurs, so I will most likely be telling them what do to. I'm just worried I can't break them in to making the right poses. I made an album of fashion photos that would be a good template for the model to work with and I also made a music playlist. Do you guys recommend music during a photoshoot?

Dec 10 12 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Starsquid

s-Gravenhage, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

make a time schedule
and yes, play music, breaks the ice.
And when you want certain poses, do direct them if they're first timers. Its important to interact with your model, when they're doing a good job, praising them also helps making them feel comfortable.

AND GOOD CATERING!

*double thread?

Dec 10 12 02:50 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

WWPhotography  wrote:
Hey guys,

I am new to fashion photography and I got a gig for my friends ad campaign. He has a women's clothing line and there are going to be three models that I will be shooting. Do you guys have any tips on shooting multiple models? I've done just one model and it's pretty smooth and easy, but I can see how three models can get chaotic. How do I split up the shots? What if one model wants the same shot I had with another model? Etc.

Thanks!

I find it difficult to recreate a specific shot.  Just tell the model, "OK," and see how things work out.  You don't have to include that image in your final cut.

I make no attempt to guess what music the models might like.  Tell them to bring their own music.  Adult models will do so anyhow if they want music.

Dec 10 12 03:20 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Are all three models going to be in the same shot or are you going to rotate them in and out of the shots ?  If they are rotated let your friend that you are shooting for decide which model in which outfit and which backgrounds.  If the three are going to be in the same shot you need to google geometric progression to get an idea of how much trouble you're in.

Dec 10 12 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Do every thing you can to let you focus on the models during the shoot.

Good preparation with lighting, backdrop etc sorted well before the shoot.

Use proven camera settings and methods (if you normally don't use a tripod for example don't have a brain fart and decide this is the day to try one).

See if can get a buddy (chick buddy) to be an assistant, keep track of things like time/ progress make up schedule, coffee etc

If you get flustered don't be embarrassed. Just ask for thirty second cause something not gelling yet.

And post some of the results here :-)

Dec 10 12 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

WWPhotography  wrote:
...I made an album of fashion photos that would be a good template for the model to work with...

Since they are all inexperienced this is a great idea. I'd stick to this album like a playbook, but relax a little, as the day goes on, if they seem to be creatively adding on to these looks. When I have sketches or a play book, I put them on a music stand that the models can easily see just off camera and I can easily turn to direct. The number one mistake they make is not coordinating the models' left in the picture with their left. For some reason they always start out thinking it's their right.

My first fashion shoot with three models also included balloons, on a windy day, on a rooftop in SF. Fortunately one of the models was experienced, but I tell you the balloons (and their hair) in the wind was a nightmare.

Dec 10 12 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

William Wu

New York, New York, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
Are all three models going to be in the same shot or are you going to rotate them in and out of the shots ?  If they are rotated let your friend that you are shooting for decide which model in which outfit and which backgrounds.  If the three are going to be in the same shot you need to google geometric progression to get an idea of how much trouble you're in.

I will be doing both. I'm going to work with each model individually first, and then see how that goes. I might have them in the same shot and see how that works out. Any suggestions on how to direct group poses?

Dec 10 12 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

William Wu

New York, New York, US

Natural Means wrote:
See if can get a buddy (chick buddy) to be an assistant, keep track of things like time/ progress make up schedule, coffee etc

If you get flustered don't be embarrassed. Just ask for thirty second cause something not gelling yet.

And post some of the results here :-)

Yeah, I will definitely find an assistant to help me through out the day. I cannot even imagine how stressful this would be if I didn't have one.

The shoot isn't for another week. I'll get them up as soon as I can (:

Dec 10 12 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

William Wu

New York, New York, US

Toto Photo wrote:

Since they are all inexperienced this is a great idea. I'd stick to this album like a playbook, but relax a little, as the day goes on, if they seem to be creatively adding on to these looks. When I have sketches or a play book, I put them on a music stand that the models can easily see just off camera and I can easily turn to direct. The number one mistake they make is not coordinating the models' left in the picture with their left. For some reason they always start out thinking it's their right.

My first fashion shoot with three models also included balloons, on a windy day, on a rooftop in SF. Fortunately one of the models was experienced, but I tell you the balloons (and their hair) in the wind was a nightmare.

That's a great idea. I think I will use the "music stand" idea.

Balloons, wind, rooftop, SF. Those words in a sentence in a nightmare.

Dec 10 12 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

William Wu

New York, New York, US

Starsquid wrote:
*double thread?

Yeah, I accidentally had the other one in the category "Hair/Make-up".

Dec 10 12 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Prismatic Hawk

Rohnert Park, California, US

When I do a group shoot I shoot in bursts of three shots, that way you get all eyes on the camera by the third shot otherwise you'll get a lot of images with one model looking away or blinking.  smile

Dec 10 12 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I guess I'm unclear -- will you have all three models in the same image, or are you cycling through three models & photographing them one at a time?

In any case, you need to be able to command each model's attention when you are making exposures.  With a lot of people on the set, and especially when there are a lot of people in the shooting area, it's easy for them to get distracted.  So, more than anything, talk with them and commend their attention; don't allow them to set up their own little world in which you are excluded.

If you are photographing them one at a time, stagger their off-set process, so that "ready" models are not just sitting around waiting.  Minimize their idle time.

Discipline yourself to pay attention to each model -- force yourself to look at each in turn.  Don't lock in on your favorite model or outfit.

Here's a hint:  put the best model/outfit in the center -- you can always crop.

When working with all the models in the same image, think levels -- don't get locked into having them stand side-by-side-by-side.  Get one to sit, one to lie down, one to lean over, anything to create levels.

Ask your models to invade each other's personal space.  Get them really close.  Get them touching each other -- not necessarily in a sexual way, but in a "sisters" way.

Good luck.

Dec 10 12 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

WWPhotography  wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!

This is a shooting for a clothing line which means the focus is on the clothing & less on the model(s) 

You should only be shooting one outfit @ a time giving the other model time to change.

WWPhotography  wrote:
What if one model wants the same shot I had with another model? Etc.

Whos cares what the models want the clothing line owner is the client & you need to provide their needs.

Just my thoughts ~ MR

Dec 10 12 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Hall - Fine Art

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

my tip....bring a big jar of honey

Dec 10 12 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

WW,

Did you do the shoot yet? how'd it go?

Dec 10 12 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

GoldieImages

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

My tip is to save any group shots until last, when the models have warmed up. But I'd probably skip them entirely because if you're struggling to get them to pose individually, your chances of getting a good shot with all 3 in the photo are not so good.

I'd keep your lighting simple, and stick with tried and tested setups. This frees you up to focus on getting more out of the models.

Dec 10 12 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

William Wu

New York, New York, US

Prismatic Hawk wrote:
When I do a group shoot I shoot in bursts of three shots, that way you get all eyes on the camera by the third shot otherwise you'll get a lot of images with one model looking away or blinking.  smile

Thanks for that! I'll keep that in mind for the group shots.

Dec 11 12 01:27 am Link

Photographer

William Wu

New York, New York, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
When working with all the models in the same image, think levels -- don't get locked into having them stand side-by-side-by-side.  Get one to sit, one to lie down, one to lean over, anything to create levels.

Ask your models to invade each other's personal space.  Get them really close.  Get them touching each other -- not necessarily in a sexual way, but in a "sisters" way.

Good luck.

Yeah, I'm just worried about the group shots and how I will direct them. I'm probably gonna look up some template photos online and work from there.

Dec 11 12 01:44 am Link

Photographer

William Wu

New York, New York, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
WW,

Did you do the shoot yet? how'd it go?

Not yet! It's on the 19th of December.

Dec 11 12 01:47 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Starsquid wrote:
make a time schedule
and yes, play music, breaks the ice.
And when you want certain poses, do direct them if they're first timers. Its important to interact with your model, when they're doing a good job, praising them also helps making them feel comfortable.

AND GOOD CATERING!

*double thread?

And maybe find a couple of good lists that are heavy in fashion work, or the portfolios of fashion photographers you admire, print them out and show the poses you want to the models asking them to give you something similar (but not exactly the same).  Describing poses can be a frustrating business.

Dec 11 12 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Have a game plan. Like, by the hour. They call this a production schedule. Type it out and send it to everyone involved in the shoot. Be realistic with your time expectations and try to stay on schedule.

You might also include "inspirations" for each shot which would be tears and images you find online that show the lighting, feel, and poses you are going for.

Be sure to include time for lunch.

Dec 11 12 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

WWPhotography  wrote:

I will be doing both. I'm going to work with each model individually first, and then see how that goes. I might have them in the same shot and see how that works out. Any suggestions on how to direct group poses?

Make sure no two faces are on the same line either horizontally or vertically.

Dec 11 12 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

William Wu

New York, New York, US

I had my photoshoot and I also uploaded the photos. If any of you guys were interested, I uploaded them onto my FB page. I'll link the URL.

They are titled Natasha, Jennifer, and Beverly. Let me know what you guys think!

Dec 24 12 02:02 am Link

Photographer

William Wu

New York, New York, US

Dec 24 12 02:03 am Link