Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > To all you workout gurus...

Model

DarcieK

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I have been cleared by my physiotherapist to go back to the gym, but I have to avoid any exercises that arch my lower back too much (I can bend forward but arching backward still hurts).

Besides cardio and yoga (most positions anyway), what weight training type exercises can I do that won't exasperate my back?

Dec 28 12 10:00 am Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

:lurks:

Dec 28 12 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

what is too much?

Dec 28 12 10:04 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

This thread makes so much more sense when you realize the word is physiotherapist and not PSYCHOTHERAPIST as you first read.  lol

Dec 28 12 10:08 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Damon Banner wrote:
what is too much?

Ummm, well that's something I'd have to test out really. I'd say slightly more (maybe .5 to 1 inch) than what my back is normally arched at, or anything that would repeatedly arch it.

For example, I can't do some Zumba moves or lat pulls because it hurts too much.

Dec 28 12 10:11 am Link

Model

DarcieK

DougBPhoto wrote:
This thread makes so much more sense when you realize the word is physiotherapist and not PSYCHOTHERAPIST as you first read.  lol

I probably need one of those, too tongue

Dec 28 12 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

DarcieK wrote:

Ummm, well that's something I'd have to test out really. I'd say slightly more (maybe .5 to 1 inch) than what my back is normally arched at, or anything that would repeatedly arch it.

For example, I can't do some Zumba moves or lat pulls because it hurts too much.

okay, well squats are the best exercise anyone can do.  ever.  in the history of ever.

Your arch would be about the same as what you'd use when sitting properly or maybe a little more arched, but not more.   You can start super light while you get the form down.

Dec 28 12 10:13 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Damon Banner wrote:

okay, well squats are the best exercise anyone can do.  ever.  in the history of ever.

Your arch would be about the same as what you'd use when sitting properly or maybe a little more arched, but not more.   You can start super light while you get the form down.

Awesome. Squats are the devil but they will make my legs and butt look purdy smile

Thanks, Damon.

Dec 28 12 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Damon Banner wrote:

This.
Also,steps while holding weights/kettlebells
Cable corssover machine,endless possibilities there

Dec 28 12 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

DarcieK wrote:

Awesome. Squats are the devil but they will make my legs and butt look purdy smile

Thanks, Damon.

they work everything from your ankles up to through your core.

will help prevent knee, hip and lower back problems.

Dec 28 12 10:24 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Chris Rifkin wrote:

This.
Also,steps while holding weights/kettlebells
Cable corssover machine,endless possibilities there

When you say step are you talking lunges or just doing side steps?

Dec 28 12 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

DarcieK wrote:

When you say step are you talking lunges or just doing side steps?

you can do both.  (side  deep squats.  like a sumo wrestler) they work different groups.  BUT, squats are still better.

Dec 28 12 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Marc Damon

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

Grab a pair of 100lb dumbbells and walk up about 10 flights of stairs with perfect posture and a book balanced on your head. Take the elevator back down. That should be just enough rest before your next set. smile tongue

ok, for real... No gym required. Walk up stairs slowly with good posture, placing each foot completely and flat on each step. Use ankle weights instead of dumbbells to increase difficulty and keep extra weight off your back. Remove ankle weights and walk back down on your toes (like you're wearing heels but with out the Jimmy Choo's) to work different muscles and avoid hitting your heels which could jar your spine.

Dec 28 12 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Damon Banner wrote:

Imma have to go with "reverse cowgirl" over squats.

Dec 28 12 12:37 pm Link