Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Dallas MUST get rid of ROMO!!!

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Ed Woodson Photography wrote:

Danny White was the first in a long string of mediocre QB's.  Last "real" QB Dallas had was Staubach.

I loved Staubach - he will always be my favorite quarterback in the history of the NFL...but you know what - Romo has better skills than he did...BUT Staubach was a WINNER with a captial W - he had that special intangible spark that WINNERS have...that Romo absolutely and totally lacks!!  He is a LOSER!!

Dec 30 12 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

Gary Melton wrote:
I loved Staubach - he will always be my favorite quarterback in the history of the NFL...but you know what - Romo has better skills than he did...BUT Staubach was a WINNER with a captial W - he had that special intangible spark that WINNERS have...that Romo absolutely and totally lacks!!  He is a LOSER!!

how did staubach fare against that idiot bradhaw in the super bowl games they played against each other?

but i will agree with you that romo is a born loser. some guys just are, and he certainly is. you could fill bluray discs full of his blunders.

Dec 30 12 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
If you're REALLY insistent that Romo must go....

Dallas can haz Tebow !!  big_smile

I would love to see Tebow join the Cowboys if it meant we could cut Romo!!

Dec 30 12 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Gary Melton wrote:

I would love to see Tebow join the Cowboys if it meant we could cut Romo!!

really? really? lol that would leave elephants on the sidelines as the only missing piece of that three ring circus.

Dec 30 12 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

GK photo wrote:

how did staubach fare against that idiot bradhaw in the super bowl games they played against each other?

but i will agree with you that romo is a born loser. some guys just are, and he certainly is.

Hey now.... 

this year has been bad enough for the Steel Curtain, no need to bash Bradshaw.

I thought we had a deal that people could bash Roethlisberger, lay off TD Terry.

Dec 30 12 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

DougBPhoto wrote:
Hey now.... 

this year has been bad enough for the Steel Curtain, no need to bash Bradshaw.

I thought we had a deal that people could bash Roethlisberger, lay off TD Terry.

you're missing my point. i'm a die hard steeler fan. it was in reference to the reverential treatment those myopic cowslut fans attribute to staubach. he was 2-2 in super bowls.

Dec 30 12 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

GK photo wrote:

but i will agree with you that romo is a born loser. some guys just are, and he certainly is.

You know, one of the things I dislike the most about Romo is his attitude.  No matter how bad things go - especially how bad HE plays - he tries to put a positive spin on it.  He always acts so confident - NEVER does he act like he's sorry he's let everyone down.  I kinda liked his attitude in the beginning - he always acted SO confident...but it has REALLY gotten old.  He just seems to be totally clueless how much all the Dallas fans HATE him!!

Dec 30 12 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

GK photo wrote:

really? really? lol that would leave elephants on the sidelines as the only missing piece of that three ring circus.

If Tebow can't save Dallas, nothing can.

I mean, didn't they have a hole left in the roof of the old stadium so God could watch?

Who better than Tebow to try to lead them to the promised land.

Dec 30 12 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

GK photo wrote:
you're missing my point. i'm a die hard steeler fan. it was in reference to the reverential treatment those myopic cowslut fans attribute to staubach. he was 2-2 in super bowls.

Okay, you're forgiven smile

I also agree with Gary, one of the things I hate most about Dallas lately (aside from them being Dallas) is the incredible level of cockyness.

Dec 30 12 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

GK photo wrote:

REALLY - that's how much I hate Romo!  Tebow is a circus act, but at least he has some potential for making things happen.  There aren't many really high caliber, "franchise" quarterbacks out there just hanging around looking for a team to play for.  Tebow is probably the highest caliber quarterback available on the market.  I don't see how he could do worse than Romo!

Dec 30 12 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Gary Melton wrote:

You know, one of the things I dislike the most about Romo is his attitude.  No matter how bad things go - especially how bad HE plays - he tries to put a positive spin on it.  He always acts so confident - NEVER does he act like he's sorry he's let everyone down.  I kinda liked his attitude in the beginning - he always acted SO confident...but it has REALLY gotten old.  He just seems to be totally clueless how much all the Dallas fans HATE him!!

there you go. if i WERE a romo fan, his blasé attitude would fucking kill me. plus, it is the qb that has to own big losses. if you don't LEARN how to win, you never will win.

i love seeing the crack wagon fail time after time after time. i think their run in the 90's was a fluke, and god is paying them back for all that shit. smile

jim kelley is hoisting a beer tonight somewhere in western pa. smile

how 'bout them cowboys!!!!!!

Dec 30 12 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

HWM Photography

Naperville, Illinois, US

penn wrote:

Umm,, Aikman?

Thank you.  He has a face at Canton too.

Dec 30 12 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Gary Melton wrote:
REALLY - that's how much I hate Romo!  Tebow is a circus act, but at least he has some potential for making things happen.  There aren't many really high caliber, "franchise" quarterbacks out there just hanging around looking for a team to play for.  Tebow is probably the highest caliber quarterback available on the market.  I don't see how he could do worse than Romo!

dude, did you see what washington, seattle and indie were able to pull off this year? with rookie qbs. and washington TWICE! jerruh has made his bed with romo and the ginger, and he's going to ride with them until they hit the bottom of the atlantic.

they should make a play for rivers. he is almost as much a loser as romo, but with a better arm.

Dec 30 12 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I am a Redskins fan and I admire Tony Romo -  I'll keep RGIII but I think Tony is a great player and a class act. 

I can understand being frustrated -  but he did not get all of the help he could have in the game - 

really unfortunate call on the 3rd and 8  roughing the passer -  I wanted the 'skins to win but I don't like seeing a call like that play such a huge role in a virtual playoff game....

I think what you need is a real GM.   Maybe a change in coaching staff as well.  Some better talent scouting.  You've got some guys that are "names" but are not quite living up to their rep.   Many of the same problems the Redskins have had - but a lot less bad.....

If you all throw over Tony Romo someone will be glad to pick him up - maybe Philadelphia smile

Dec 30 12 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
...I thought we had a deal that people could bash Roethlisberger, lay off TD Terry.

Roethlisberger is the one NFL quarterback for which I have absolutely NO respect for!  How can the people of Pittsburgh stand that conceited man who thinks that the world revolves around him, that laws don't apply to him.  He's the archtypical example of an athlete who's been pampered and treated like royalty his whole life - like he's better and above other people just 'cause he can score touchdowns!

Dec 30 12 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

GK photo wrote:
dude, did you see what washington, seattle and indie were able to pull off this year? with rookie qbs. and washington TWICE! jerruh has made his bed with romo and the ginger, and he's going to ride with them until they hit the bottom of the atlantic.

they should make a play for rivers. he is almost as much a loser as romo, but with a better arm.

And what are the chances of the Cowboys drafting someone like RGIII?  Exactly zero.  Rivers?  Naw - bigger loser than Romo.

Romo owns just about all franchise quarterback records for the Cowboys - he's passed Staubach, Aikman, Danny White, Craig Morton and Don Meredith.  Romo IS actually extremely talented - he's only had a handful of sub 300+ yard games his whole career (which is longer than you realize).  The trouble with Romo is that he doesn't have the "winner" gene...and he never will. 

Rivers isn't nearly as talented as Romo and is just as big a loser.  I'm not trying to say Tebow would or could be a big success - just that he has shown flashes of possible big success.  Like I said, hard to see how he could be worse than Romo!

Oh and one of the areas that people are forgetting about with Romo - he's a very good scrambler and runner (though he certainly didn't show it tonight).  Staubach is the only better scrambler/runner that Dallas has ever had.

He had several opportunities tonight where he could have run for first downs but for some reason chose not to.  He is SUCH a LOSER!

Dec 30 12 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Woodson Photography

Savannah, Georgia, US

GK photo wrote:

First off, please don't classify me as being a Cowboy fan.  I am not.

I simply don't think there's been a great QB in Dallas since Staubach.  If Aikman had to face the same defenses that Staubach did, or if he'd been the actual play caller, he'd be 0'fer in the Superbowl win department.

But, that's my opinion.  Whether, or not, you agree with it is inconsequential.

Dec 30 12 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

First off, please don't classify me as being a Cowboy fan.  I am not.

I simply don't think there's been a great QB in Dallas since Staubach.  If Aikman had to face the same defenses that Staubach did, or if he'd been the actual play caller, he'd be 0'fer in the Superbowl win department.

But, that's my opinion.  Whether, or not, you agree with it is inconsequential.

I'd definitely disagree with you, Aikman is maybe the most accurate passer there's been since Namath.  He was money.

Dec 30 12 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Gary Melton wrote:
And what are the chances of the Cowboys drafting someone like RGIII?  Exactly zero.  Rivers?  Naw - bigger loser than Romo.

Romo owns just about all franchise quarterback records for the Cowboys - he's passed Staubach, Aikman, Danny White, Craig Morton and Don Meredith.  Romo IS actually extremely talented - he's only had a handful of sub 300+ yard games his whole career (which is longer than you realize).  The trouble with Romo is that he doesn't have the "winner" gene...and he never will.

they could have drafted cousins. they choose to keep romo and not even consider another qb. you get what you get with him.

and would you rather have a guy with all the records (especially in an age where running has become a third option), or a guy who wins big games?

Dec 30 12 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

GK photo wrote:
they could have drafted cousins. they choose to keep romo and not even consider another qb. you get what you get with him.

and would you rather have a guy with all the records (especially in an age where running has become a third option), or a guy who wins big games?

Romo does have that "third" option - he's the best scrambler/runner Dallas has ever had after Staubach (who was one of the best scrambler/runners in the history of the NFL - in my opinion, only Fran Tarkenton was a better scrambler/runner than Staubach).

I want a quarterback who wins the big games - which means Romo has to go...he will NEVER win a big one!!  Dallas has surrounded Romo with tons of talented receivers, one of the best tight ends of the last couple of decades and a total franchise running back - if he could only stay healthy (Demarco Murray - who was averaging OVER 8 yards a carry over most of the season last year) - yet it is Romo who keeps blowing it with interceptions and fumbles at the worst possible times.

Get this - Romo holds the franchise record for most touchdown passes thrown - in the 52 year history of the Cowboys - and he did it in half the time of the next most prolific touchdown passer for the Cowboys - Troy Aikman!

Dec 30 12 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Gary Melton wrote:
yet it is Romo who keeps blowing it with interceptions and fumbles at the worst possible times.

believe me, i feel your pain (not really, it's comic fodder for me). if i were a cowgirl's fan, i'd be livid. this dude is a born loser, and as long as you keep him around, the results will be the same.

cue terrell owens blubbering; "he's my quarterback, man." lol

Dec 30 12 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Andy Welch

Richmond, Virginia, US

Good game.

Dec 30 12 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Gary Melton wrote:
Romo is a LOSER!!!!!!!

Dec 31 12 04:08 am Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Romo STILL must GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..............

Jan 17 13 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyStavros

Bainbridge Island, Washington, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
And....Jerry Jones..must stop being the hands on owner...You cheap bastard hire a GM!!!

I think this is the biggest problem. It worked for awhile. I mean a couple of championships. But that was more than a decade ago. Unlike a lot of people. I grew up rooting for a few teams.   The Falcons, Saints and Cowboys. Family ties in the NOLA area. Having lived in Georgia most of my life. And an uncle, a huge Cowboy fan ever since I can remember. It's because of him that i had Dallas Cowboy cheerleader posters on my wall long before I liked girls.

Jan 17 13 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Cat Shadows Photography

Gorham, Maine, US

I will trade you Sanchez (Jets) for Romo -- straight-up trade.

Jan 17 13 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

beta

Nashville, Tennessee, US

The Signature Image wrote:

Now you are just being desperate, appropriate, but desperate..  lol

Jan 17 13 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

no, no, no...you do not know what you are talking about.  Romo is EXTREMELY talented...even more talented than Sanchez...but Romo is ultimately (like Sanchez) a LOSER.  Romo MUST leave professional football (and take Sanchez with him).

Jan 17 13 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Kyle T Edwards

St Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Sanchez for Romo?  Uh...no thanks.  We'll keep Romo.  The only thing worse than that trade would be getting...well...Tebow! https://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-scared008.gif

Jan 17 13 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Kyle T Edwards wrote:

Sanchez for Romo?  Uh...no thanks.  We'll keep Romo.  The only thing worse than that trade would be getting...well...Tebow! https://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-scared008.gif

As a Dallas Cowboy fan, I can tell you that I'd take Tebow (hell, I'd take Homer Simpson) over Romo!!!

Jan 17 13 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

Los Angeles, California, US

If Aikman had to face the same defenses that Staubach did, or if he'd been the actual play caller, he'd be 0'fer in the Superbowl win department.

No, he'd stil be 3-0 given the defense the Cowboys had the competition he had to face in his SB wins: Buffalo twice and the Steelers when Neil O'Donnell won the game single handedly for the Cowboys.

Jan 17 13 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

Los Angeles, California, US

K E E L I N G wrote:
Aikman is maybe the most accurate passer there's been since Namath.  He was money.

Not according to the numbers.  Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Steve Young were all more accurate passers than Aikman.  His career QB rating was 81.6 vs. 94.3 for Brees, 96.8 for Young and 104.4 for Rodgers.  And the TD:INT ratio for Aikman was marginally better than 1:1 vs. almost 2:1 for Brees and Rodgers and more than 2:1 for Young.

Jan 17 13 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

If I were assembling a dream team - with all players in the history of the NFL available - there is NO QUESTION who my quarterback would be: Roger Staubach!

He had the throwing skills, the scrambling skills, and the decision skills...but most importantly: the man was a frickin' WINNER...who never gave up, and who never believed in the possibility of defeat!!!

Jan 17 13 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Gary Melton wrote:
If I were assembling a dream team - with all players in the history of the NFL available - there is NO QUESTION who my quarterback would be: Roger Staubach!

He had the throwing skills, the scrambling skills, and the decision skills...but most importantly: the man was a frickin' WINNER...who never gave up, and who never believed in the possibility of defeat!!!

he lost two super bowls.

Jan 17 13 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Let There Be Light wrote:

Not according to the numbers.  Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Steve Young were all more accurate passers than Aikman.  His career QB rating was 81.6 vs. 94.3 for Brees, 96.8 for Young and 104.4 for Rodgers.  And the TD:INT ratio for Aikman was marginally better than 1:1 vs. almost 2:1 for Brees and Rodgers and more than 2:1 for Young.

Aikman was a decent quarterback, but his greatest asset was the team around him - especially the other two triplets (Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin), and his incredible offensive line.

Jan 17 13 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

GK photo wrote:
he lost two super bowls.

The Cowboys should have won both of those games - they were better than the Steelers both times, and they outplayed them both times.  I'd still take Staubach over any other quarterback in NFL history - the guy was a winner in every sense of the word!

Jan 17 13 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Gary Melton wrote:
The Cowboys should have won both of those games - they were better than the Steelers both times, and they outplayed them both times.  I'd still take Staubach over any other quarterback in NFL history - the guy was a winner!

uh, scoreboard. the seahawks should have won last weekend. and no, they didn't outplay the steelers in either super bowl. if you look at staubach's numbers in the sb victory against miami, he did no better than tebow used to do as a starter in denver.

look, we all have our heroes, but staubach has been elevated to god-like status in texas, even though he was two bad outings from being fran tarkenton...who ironically was a better quarterback over his career than roger was.

Gary Melton wrote:
Aikman was a decent quarterback, but his greatest asset was the team around him - especially the other two triplets (Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin), and his incredible offensive line.

and staubach's greatest asset were his teammates as well, especially the defense they had in the mid 70's. his greatest weapon was preston pearson...yes, preston, not drew. that guy was one of the best possession receivers ever. all these lame-ass dallas clones going on about whitten now have no clue how money that guy was on third down.

Jan 17 13 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

GK photo wrote:
and staubach's greatest asset were his teammates as well, especially the defense they had in the mid 70's. his greatest weapon was preston pearson...yes, preston, not drew. that guy was one of the best possession receivers ever. all these lame-ass dallas clones going on about whitten now have no clue how money that guy was on third down.

I'm totally with you on Preston Pearson.  If it was 3rd down and anything, the ball was going to go to Preston (and he was gonna catch it).

What I could never quite figure out: everybody on both teams knew it was gonna happen, the refs knew it was gonna happen, everyone in the stands knew it was gonna happen, and everyone watching on TV knew it was gonna  happen...yet somehow, someway - nobody could seem to stop it.

Yes - Preston Pearson was as MONEY ON THIRD DOWN as anyone could possibly be.  I've wondered why and how so many people have forgotten about that.  Honestly - I don't think anyone has EVER (in the history of football) been a more dependable 3rd down receiver than Preston was - he WAS incredible!!!!

The other historically underappreciated player for Dallas around that time was running back Calvin Hill.  He was not like one of the greatest backs ever, but what he WAS was someone who seldom lost yards on a given play.  He had a great knack for always falling forward.  If it's 3rd and one, I can't think of any back I'd rather see get the ball.  Even if he gets hit at the line of scrimmage - he falls forward for that 1 yard!

ALL TIME DREAM SKILL PLAYERS (from any team, any era):

quarterback:    Roger Staubach

running back:  Emmitt Smith

fullback:         Larry Csonka (don't know how he ever made less than 4 yards on any play...the guy was a tank!)

tight end:        Preston Pearson (with Witten a close second)

wide receivers:  Michael Irvin, Drew Pearson

Jan 17 13 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Gary Melton wrote:
The other historically underappreciated player for Dallas around that time was running back Calvin Hill.  He was not like one of the greatest backs ever, but what he WAS was someone who seldom lost yards on a given play.  He had a great knack for always falling forward.  If it's 3rd and one, I can't think of any back I'd rather see get the ball.  Even if he gets hit at the line of scrimmage - he falls forward for that 1 yard!

dude, you should know of (if you are a true cowhumper's fan) the sad tale of duane thomas. go on all you want about roger the dodger, but in sb VI, while staubach was putting up tebowesque numbers, thomas was running roughshod over the "no name" defense of miami, and was the overwhelming choice for mvp of the game.

don't eff with me, dude. tongue smile i am a football junkie from way back. i watched that game as a tyke, and remember it distinctly. and i hate dallas.

staubach was very good, but he was mainly a myth. aikman was a better qb. and he has no loser's rings to prove it. smile

Jan 17 13 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

GK photo wrote:
dude, you should know of (if you are a true cowhumper's fan) the sad tale of duane thomas. go on all you want about roger the dodger, but in sb VI, while staubach was putting up tebowesque numbers, thomas was running roughshod over the "no name" defense of miami, and was the overwhelming mvp of the game.

don't eff with me, dude. tongue smile i am a football junkie from way back. i watched that game as a tyke, and remember it distinctly.

staubach was very good, but he was mainly a myth. aikman was a better qb. and he has more rings to prove it. smile

I am one who never cared for Duane Thomas.  (Hell, I hardly knew who he was - I was in Germany during that time...fighting the 'rads in the bars, and saying machs nicht a lot).

Anyone who watched Staubach every game saw a man bring a team back from the jaws of defeat time and time and time again.  Staubach is NO myth - he was the real deal...a REAL WINNER!!!

Jan 17 13 11:06 pm Link