Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Photoshop Annoyance

Photographer

John Jebbia

Posts: 27614

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Does anyone know if there's a way to make Photoshop go to a default folder when using "save as"? I'm constantly having to navigate to the folder I want all the way from the C Drive root.

Jan 04 13 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Posts: 7861

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mine does on the Macs, does not on the PCs. Not saying buy a MAC... but there has to be some setting somewhere, I have just never looked.

EDIT, just looked: It is an OS issue. For XP (and I would assume Win 7)

You cannot modify the default save location but you can try modifying the places bar so that you can have easy access to the folders that you need:

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-customize-d … ialog-box/

Here's one configuration item that sets whether Photoshop remembers where you opened a file, or separates the remembered folder from which a file was opened from the remembered default for saving.  That configuration item is in the Edit - Preferences - File Handling dialog and is called [ ] Save As to Original Folder.

Jan 04 13 10:01 pm Link

Retoucher

Cosplay-Mate

Posts: 10

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I make a copy of the pictures I want to edit and put them in the same folder so I just have to use save instead to save as. It write over the copy so you dont have to choose the path

Jan 05 13 12:53 am Link

Photographer

DavidCoward Photography

Posts: 629

Sandy Springs, Georgia, US

Mine tries to save to the folder where the original file is located. When I start working on the photos from a shoot, I make a subfolder called Edits, then when I do a Save-as, it opens the original folder and I just double-click the Edits folder and save.

Jan 05 13 01:02 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Posts: 33568

Los Angeles, California, US

When you are in the deep folder drag the path onto your desktop, which will create a shortcut there.

Then from photoshop navigate to your desktop and then to the shortcut and you will be saving to the deep folder.

Jan 05 13 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Posts: 5210

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

John Jebbia wrote:
Does anyone know if there's a way to make Photoshop go to a default folder when using "save as"? I'm constantly having to navigate to the folder I want all the way from the C Drive root.

Annoying isn't it - but think yourself lucky; mine regularly tries to save my files to the refrigerator and microwave oven in the kitchen.

Jan 05 13 01:09 am Link

Photographer

scubie

Posts: 50

Worthing, England, United Kingdom

DavidCoward Photography wrote:
Mine tries to save to the folder where the original file is located. When I start working on the photos from a shoot, I make a subfolder called Edits, then when I do a Save-as, it opens the original folder and I just double-click the Edits folder and save.

+1

Jan 05 13 01:26 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Posts: 6688

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Make an action smile

Jan 05 13 04:08 am Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Posts: 619

Buffalo, New York, US

Doesn't windows have a way to bookmark locations in the file browser yet? If not that's really pathetic, not to start a flame war hmm  I use an older version of Win at work and it's a massive pain dealing with the file browser, especially over a network.

Jan 05 13 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Posts: 7861

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JJMiller wrote:
Doesn't windows have a way to bookmark locations in the file browser yet? If not that's really pathetic, not to start a flame war hmm  I use an older version of Win at work and it's a massive pain dealing with the file browser, especially over a network.

Network problems, when it comes to file saving has always been an issue with Windows. And I am not bashing Windows either. I own alot of Windows based machines, along with Mac's and Linux machines. Each have their own pluses and minuses.

If you map network drives in Windows, it does make things easier.

Jan 05 13 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Dontez Akins

Posts: 326

Douglasville, Georgia, US

Jan 05 13 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

CDphotography

Posts: 22

Norman, Oklahoma, US

What I do is find the file folder in the "save as" menu path, then right-click and select "save to favorites".  Then the folder appears on the left side each time you "save as".  This saves me lots of time.

Jan 09 13 11:11 pm Link