Photographer

Alejandro Cerdena

New York, New York, US

Hello,
Curious about IPS monitos, are they the best type of monitor for photo editing?

Alex

Jan 06 13 05:04 pm Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Santa Cruz, California, US

Pretty much, yes.

Jan 06 13 06:08 pm Link

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

IPS and PLS are the best, TN the worst...
Good of info at https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st17626143

Jan 06 13 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Alejandro Cerdena

New York, New York, US

What about these LED monitors?

Jan 07 13 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Becks

Rochester, New York, US

My retina macbook pro is a sexy, sexy beast with it's insanely sharp IPS based display, so, IPS in an actual oversized monitor is like a photoshopping wet dream. That will be my next huge purchase, more than likely-- I maxed out the specs on this baby for reason (eventually, to convert to a desktop replacement with a couple of nice externals). lol The 15 inch display on here just makes editing on a regular external LCD monitor kind of depressing, frankly, so I'm saving up tongue

Jan 07 13 06:58 pm Link

Retoucher

FLEXmero

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

Alejandro XLII wrote:
What about these LED monitors?

The nature of a monitor's backlighting and the type of panel are two different things. IPS, PVA and TN are some panel types (PVA and IPS being used in professional monitors and TN in cheaper office monitors). Backlighting can be fluorescent or it can be LED based. LED is still not being used in professional monitors, but sooner or later it might be. LED monitors are already very common in entertainment monitors and semi-pro monitors. Once the technology proves useful and can guarantee the specs that a professional needs, higher end brands like Eizo and NEC will start using it on their graphics professionals' models.

Jan 08 13 07:08 am Link

Retoucher

WeNeals Retouching

Lakewood, Colorado, US

Found a great IPS for $400.  Auria!  Check it out!

Jan 08 13 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Feliciano

New York, New York, US

What's the end result of your retouching? You want the best result possible, but in the end, if you're photos are being seen online, most people don't have color-calibrated monitors. I have an RGBLED laptop screen that has 100% of the Adobe Gamut, but it's a TN panel, not IPS. IPS is better for viewing angles. TN is better for first-person gaming if you're directly in front because you can get a higher refresh rate.
Most LED monitors don't have the full spectrum of color, though they are thin. Fluorescent back-lighting gives a wider color gamut, but those monitors are thicker and not as energy efficient. I have a 30" Dell IPS with fluorescent back-lighting, it's awesome.
If you're retouching for clients that are sending work to CMYK separation, you want the best possible monitor you can afford and want to calibrate it. If you're work is being seen on everything from iphones to android tablets to grandma's 7 year old LCD, I wouldn't sweat the details.

Jan 11 13 10:04 pm Link