Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Frozen Special Effects Advice

Makeup Artist

crazypretty

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm wanting to work with ice, snow, frozen effects for the face. Wondering if anyone can give me a place to purchase products for this and if so, what should I look at getting?

I live in NYC and would love to even meet up with an FX artist and learn how to apply the products to get the best look possible.

Jan 09 13 02:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BMR-MUA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

crazypretty wrote:
I'm wanting to work with ice, snow, frozen effects for the face. Wondering if anyone can give me a place to purchase products for this and if so, what should I look at getting?

I live in NYC and would love to even meet up with an FX artist and learn how to apply the products to get the best look possible.

See Ice FX Makeup. If you're looking for a realistic frostbite effect, try Ben Nye Monster Wheel white/cool colors mixed with Smashbox Artificial Light (Diffuse). The Smashbox product gives the frostbite application a realistic "waxy" look.

Jan 09 13 04:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

crazypretty

Barry  M  Robinson wrote:
See Ice FX Makeup. If you're looking for a realistic frostbite effect, try Ben Nye Monster Wheel white/cool colors mixed with Smashbox Artificial Light (Diffuse). The Smashbox product gives the frostbite application a realistic "waxy" look.

Thank you ... however, I'm looking for something more realistic. Not a "makeup" version with crystals. There are products from Ben Nye, PAM etc but the manipulation of the product or additional ones out there for film grade FX makeup is what I need.

Jan 09 13 07:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BMR-MUA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Barry  M  Robinson wrote:

crazypretty wrote:
Thank you ... however, I'm looking for something more realistic. Not a "makeup" version with crystals. There are products from Ben Nye, PAM etc but the manipulation of the product or additional ones out there for film grade FX makeup is what I need.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for. If you're looking for snow and ice to use on the clothing or hair, there are several products available usually a polyacrylate salt. These products are very realistic, even close-up. Many of these products are inert and safe for contact but are not makeup (see the MSDS for individual products). Since these products absorb water keep them away from the eyes. Use on the clothing or carefully on the hair. You can purchase these products from places like Trengove Studios.

Ice and snow coming into contact with human skin quickly melt. Snow landing on hair and clothing in cold weather will remain frozen if it is cold enough out. The only time that snow or ice will form on skin is when the skin is very, very cold. Long before that the blood flow will have shut down and the skin will be very pale or pale/mottled purple depending on the area affected.

Jan 09 13 08:29 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

How realistic the SFX product will depend a ton on the skill of the makeup artist.....

An Ice Queen is a "rite of passage" so that's what gets most of the attention with these products.

Jan 09 13 08:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

I've used the Ice FX on an actor's face & hair for a TV commercial and it was quite realistic-looking.

Jan 10 13 02:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

SianRJJ

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom

Another way of doing it is to get a double boiler and melt 60% Paraffin wax and 40% vaseline together, make sure to mix well it can be put it on both paint brushes or mascara spoolies (spoolies for the eyebrows, mustaches and lashes), be aware of the temperature and be careful near lashesand the more Vaseline you use, the softer the wax will be and the easier it comes off the hair.

This is a method told to me by a Bob Brown owner of TraumaFX.

Sian

Jan 10 13 05:31 am Link

Makeup Artist

E E S

Barry is right- Ice FX is what you want. Very simple to use- it's a gel and powder combo. You can buy it Alcone's.

Here is what it looks like in photos (please disregard the thing photoshopped on Detox's head (delicious drag queen on the right):

https://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/pkittie/ScreenShot2013-01-12atJanuary12071247AM_zps7ab5d5d1.png

Jan 13 13 06:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

Bethany Ruck Makeup

My avatar was done with snow from Naimies. The directions say to apply it and then spray with water but I mixed it with water and gently blotted on the skin. Look on my site for a better example of the snow look. Hopefully this is one if the effects you're looking for.

Jan 13 13 08:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

crazypretty

Thank you! You are all amazing with your suggestions .... My fear is the ice/snow looking campy which I feel ends up happening when the artist isn't well versed in the proper application or the appropriate products. Thus my desire to find a strong artist to learn from and possibly tips other than using something sold as halloween makeup.

I have talked to Alcone, unfortunately they were out of what I needed. I'll probably purchase a few products and play around with them until I find exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you again everyone for your great suggestions and experiences!

Lindsey

Jan 15 13 08:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

crazypretty

This is only one of several inspiration photos ... I'm not loving his face exactly, but I LOVE the way the snow/ice looks in his beard!
http://finnohara.com/blog/?p=2397

Jan 15 13 09:05 pm Link