Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > New Ground for me, some pointers!

Photographer

Amul La La

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi Guys and Girls, I just wondered what you thought of (Photo scape) if you've used it? is it good for basic editing, what are the limitations?.

Also there's a chance I may get to access to (PS elements 8), I wondered what are the real benefits, users opinions of both these editing programs would be great, just so I can get some insight.

I currently use the tools already on the computer to do a little bit of basic amateur editing, but I don't much editing generally.

Jan 15 13 08:44 am Link

Retoucher

Joann Empson

Walnut Creek, California, US

You seem to be seeking an alternative to Photoshop. For that, I always recommend the GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP).

The main reason to use GIMP is because it respects users' four essential software freedoms. In other words, it is free software.

A secondary reason to use GIMP is because it will do essentially everything Photoshop does, and more.

The most shallow reason to use GIMP is because it's gratis. In other words, users are not required to pay to use the program.

https://i.imgur.com/FTB2D.png

Jan 16 13 02:06 am Link

Photographer

terminated

Wells, England, United Kingdom

Picasa 3 (FREE download from Google).

Collects and files ALL your pictures. Any "adjustments" you make are instantly reversible with one click - so no disasters!

It works for me!

Jan 16 13 02:15 am Link

Retoucher

Joann Empson

Canonpics wrote:
Picasa 3 (FREE download from Google).

Altough Picasa does not cost users money, it has the disadvantage of being nonfree software.

Picasa does not respect the users' four essential software freedoms.

Jan 16 13 02:19 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

Joann Empson wrote:
You seem to be seeking an alternative to Photoshop. For that, I always recommend the GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP).

The main reason to use GIMP is because it respects users' four essential software freedoms. In other words, it is free software.

A secondary reason to use GIMP is because it will do essentially everything Photoshop does, and more.

The most shallow reason to use GIMP is because it's gratis. In other words, users are not required to pay to use the program.

https://i.imgur.com/FTB2D.png

Out of curiosity, what are the things that Gimp does and Photoshop can't?

Jan 16 13 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Moderator Note!

Joann Empson wrote:

https://sweetbiandbi.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/soapbox.jpg
Your soapbox showed up yet again.

Please remain at least vaguely on-topic, and keep the religious arguments in the Soapbox.

Jan 16 13 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Amul La La

thank you everyone really appreciate your advice.

Jan 16 13 09:21 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Joann Empson wrote:

Altough Picasa does not cost users money, it has the disadvantage of being nonfree software.

Picasa does not respect the users' four essential software freedoms.

You seem to have at least one thing in common with Adobe, you both love to advertise.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/GNUImageManipulationPro

Maybe you could take a short break from spamming every retouching thread with your four software freedoms schtick.

Jan 16 13 09:32 am Link

Retoucher

Joann Empson

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
You seem to have at least one thing in common with Adobe, you both love to advertise.

Hee hee. I take your apparent annoyance as a compliment. I'm just one person going against an effective (and also very annoying) marketing team at Adobe.

However, if people consider this a form of "spam," I will duck out for a while until someone posts a question specifically about the GIMP. I do hope someone posts a question soon, but until then, happy hacking, everyone!

Jan 16 13 12:48 pm Link