Forums > Photography Talk > Help, there is a hair in my lens...

Photographer

TheCustomTs

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Was wondering if anyone had any advice on where/how to get ones lenses cleaned? My kit lens (currently my only one) has a hair in it. I'm in Toronto Canada for any locals who know, of if anyone knows a multinational company to recommend that would be great too. Thanks!

Jan 16 13 09:10 am Link

Photographer

DevilMayCare Photo

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

TheCustomTs wrote:
Was wondering if anyone had any advice on where/how to get ones lenses cleaned? My kit lens (currently my only one) has a hair in it. I'm in Toronto Canada for any locals who know, of if anyone knows a multinational company to recommend that would be great too. Thanks!

How big is the hair? Eyelash? Inch or two? In any event, it's unlikely to show up on your images, so don't worry about it.

If you insist, Canon and Nikon both have service centers in Mississauga. What make is your lens?

Jan 16 13 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Extrosy

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Wow, so I guess it's not weather proof eh?  Any place that does lens repair I would think could pull it out...

Reminds me of when I saw actual leaves stuck in my car vents.  So much for their supposed "cabin air filter"  - if an entire leaf can get through it.

Jan 16 13 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

If it doesn't show in your photos, leave it there...

Jan 16 13 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Azimuth Arts

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You can check with the repair desk at Vistek in Toronto (on Queen E.) to see if they can help.

Jan 16 13 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Azimuth Arts

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Marin Photography wrote:
If it doesn't show in your photos, leave it there...

If it is not moving at all then this is the correct advice. But if it shifts around inside the lens then you never know when it will make its way into a spot where it does show, and you may not notice it on the view screen.  Do you want to wait until it ruins a shoot to have this happen?

Jan 16 13 09:31 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Open it up...at the top of the lens..be careful not to scratch...and blow out all the debris. That simple.

Jan 16 13 09:33 am Link

Photographer

wr not here

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Azimuth Arts wrote:

If it is not moving at all then this is the correct advice. But if it shifts around inside the lens then you never know when it will make its way into a spot where it does show, and you may not notice it on the view screen.  Do you want to wait until it ruins a shoot to have this happen?

Umm, it doesn't matter where in the lens a hair is, it isn't ever going to show up in a picture.

Jan 16 13 10:08 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

WR Photographics wrote:

Umm, it doesn't matter where in the lens a hair is, it isn't ever going to show up in a picture.

Correct.
A basic understanding of how lenses work will reassure you of this.
Just leave it if it isn't moving - I have a 135mm DC-Nikkor with a noticable bit of crud - I think it's a paint-fleck from one of the inner barrels - sat towards the rear of the lens-groups... Pissed me off when i noticed it, but as the lens was bought 2nd hand, all the dealer would do was offer my money back if I returned the lens - after testing I decided to keep it - there's no noticable effect on the images and it remains my favourite (and sharpest) lens...

The only possible worry is if it migrates into the diaphragm and causes a jam - but it'll only do that if it's adjacent to it.

Jan 16 13 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

TheCustomTs wrote:
Was wondering if anyone had any advice on where/how to get ones lenses cleaned? My kit lens (currently my only one) has a hair in it.

Buying a new kit lens similar to the one you use may be cheaper than having the current lens cleaned.

Jan 16 13 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Best

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

kit lens .. toss it .. buy another cheap or get some primes .. use a uv filter just to protect your lens ..or shave lol

Jan 16 13 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

If you shoot Canon, it might be time to buy a 50mm f/1.8.

Jan 16 13 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

TheCustomTs

Viator-Defessus Photos wrote:
If you shoot Canon, it might be time to buy a 50mm f/1.8.

It is Canon, I can't even recall what it is as it's definitely not my fav. I am planning to buy a 50mm f/1.8 or 1.4 (not sure if the cost is really worth it to go with the 1.4) as I want to be able to create a more cropped/close up portrait look.

Jan 16 13 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Dragos Codita

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

The EF 50mm f/1.4 has more robust construction.
EF 50mm f/1.8 is all plastic except lenses itself, more fragile, but to be onest i am shooting below f/1.8 in very-very few ocasions. It will get sharper as you close it down, but the value for the money is exceptional.
A lens which is nearby as value is the newer 40mm f/2.8 STM.

Jan 17 13 05:00 am Link

Photographer

Crazy Old Guy

Richland, Washington, US

TheCustomTs wrote:
I want to be able to create a more cropped/close up portrait look.

Can you link to an example? 50mm on a 1.6 crop body is still only 80mm. If you are close enough to full frame a face at 80mm it will be noticeably distorted. You might want a much longer lens like the 70-200mm f4 as a minimum if you shoot tight headshots.

If you are talking about a 3/4 crop 40mm is probably adequate to avoid obvious distortion of features.

Jan 17 13 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Paul Best

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

get a 85 1.8 very good and i have the 50mm 1.4 you will never shoot at 1.4 but overall sharp lens and you wont be dissipointed .. i picked up 40mm 2.8 very good lens and got rid of plastic fantastic ..

Jan 17 13 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

Paul Best  wrote:
get a 85 1.8 very good and i have the 50mm 1.4 you will never shoot at 1.4 but overall sharp lens and you wont be dissipointed .. i picked up 40mm 2.8 very good lens and got rid of plastic fantastic ..

My problem with the f/1.4 is the reputation for repeated autofocus motor failures with that lens. If I had the money, I'd love to get the 50mm f/1.2.

Jan 17 13 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

C and J Photography

Hauula, Hawaii, US

Viator-Defessus Photos wrote:
My problem with the f/1.4 is the reputation for repeated autofocus motor failures with that lens. If I had the money, I'd love to get the 50mm f/1.2.

Get a shade, put it on the lens, leave it on the lens permanently.

The failures are due to cheap gearing and seemingly minor bumps to the extended lens cause the failure.

If you prefer not to have a shade on the lens you can reduce the length of the shade to about 1/3 of original and still protect the lens. I did this by grinding mine on a section of concrete then neatening it up a bit with an emery board.

That said I highly prefer the 85 to the 50. But, I shoot full frame.

Jan 17 13 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

TheCustomTs

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
Open it up...at the top of the lens..be careful not to scratch...and blow out all the debris. That simple.

Lol, if only it were this easy.... I've tried that soo many times but it just moves around inside...

Jan 17 13 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Image Works Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Doesn't matter if you buy prime lenses- dirt and other matter still gets in. I know because it has happen to me on two primes that were brand new and I took care not to take them to dusty environments. Its better to leave the hair there like mentioned. Taking it somewhere to get it out might cost what the lens is worth on that kit.

Jan 17 13 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

Most likely will not show - takes a lot of stuff to show up.

See what happens with a chain link fence in front of a lens - sometimes it just disappears.

Jan 17 13 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Somers

Los Angeles, California, US

Canon kit lenses are mainly useful for keeping dirt out of the camera body. They are not something that would make sense to spend $100+ on a internal cleaning.

Buy a *decent* lens and see what you've been missing....

Jan 18 13 07:56 am Link

Photographer

TheCustomTs

Andrew Somers wrote:
Canon kit lenses are mainly useful for keeping dirt out of the camera body. They are not something that would make sense to spend $100+ on a internal cleaning.

Buy a *decent* lens and see what you've been missing....

Do you have some examples of what would be compatible with a canon?

Jan 18 13 11:07 am Link