Forums > Critique > Grumpy Critique

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

NOTE:  I'm back, I'm super grumpy and I'm showing no mercy.

I'm not feeling too great and I'm tired.  I'm usually a nice person, but I'm not promising anything today.

That said, I'll critique ONE (1) thing only.  Your pick:  overall portfolio, single image (post in thread, link if 18+) or bio. 

I may go in depth, I may not.

Can't follow directions?  I'll skip you - no second chances.

I'll go until I'm disgusted or until the cold medicine kicks in - whichever comes first.

EDIT:  If you want to argue, troll, be butthurt, or otherwise be a general pain in the ass, I'm going to tell you to bug off.

Jan 18 13 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Sashka of SME

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Bek Ruszin wrote:
I'm not feeling too great and I'm tired.  I'm usually a nice person, but I'm not promising anything today.

That said, I'll critique ONE (1) thing only.  Your pick:  overall portfolio, single image (post in thread, link if 18+) or bio. 

I may go in depth, I may not.

Can't follow directions?  I'll skip you - no second chances.

I'll go until I'm disgusted or until the cold medicine kicks in - whichever comes first.

I am a newbie and interested to know your opinion about my portfolio. Thanks!

Jan 18 13 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Jan 18 13 03:45 pm Link

Model

ClassicAshley

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Overall portfolio?
Thanks
*gulp*

Jan 18 13 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Moodscapes

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Overall port please. Hope you're better soon.

Jan 18 13 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Sasha R Expressions  wrote:

I am a newbie and interested to know your opinion about my portfolio. Thanks!

Get rid of all those self-portrait "test" location shots.  If you want to keep a location on the backburner or for future reference, fine.  Your portfolio is not the place to store such shots, though.

This would function better as a plain landscape shot: 
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120630/09/4fef2a8816691_m.jpg
The model seems an afterthought.  Dump it.

I want to like this...
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130117/22/50f8ee61cdbef_m.jpg
...but I don't.  I don't think it does anything for the model.  The framing and angle make her look short and squat.  I will, however, give you kudos on her eyes being the area of focus and for having catchlights in them.

This is probably your best:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130117/08/50f8213272c44_m.jpg

You have potential, but need to keep working...especially with lighting your models and getting them to stand out - they sort of blend in with the background in several of your images. 

And please, get rid of the soccer image.  It has no business in your portfolio and looks like a snapshot.

Jan 18 13 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
Brenda,

should I remove this one:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/21906448

and should I remove this one:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/8129573

Derrick,

Yes and yes.  You've work in your portfolio that surpasses those.  Leave 'em behind and keep moving forward.

Jan 18 13 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

TDSImages

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Please critique my overall portfolio.

Jan 18 13 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

ClassicAshley wrote:
Overall portfolio?
Thanks
*gulp*

Honey, you have, like, six images in your portfolio that make my eyeballs scream "same, same, SAME!!!"  You know which ones I'm talking about, too.  All those sunbleached, highlight blown, "I'm standing in the woods wearing a red cardi" shots.  Pick one and only one...as long as it's not one of the first two.  I can't tell you which one I'D personally suggest keeping, because the third image is not loading for me, so you'll have to pick for yourself.

Do yourself another favor.  Get rid of this, please:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121025/16/5089cb2165273_m.jpg
Not flattering.

I'd like to see some full-length images of you.  Images where you're standing and not laying in the leaves.  Images where you're doing SOMETHING. 

I'd also llike to see you work on emoting.  Get some different expressions in there.  You have a lovely, genuine smile and this is probably your best:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121022/19/5085fe7fa2a47_m.jpg
Reminds me of a pin-up smile.  You might want to give that genre a go.

Jan 18 13 04:15 pm Link

Model

sasweets

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Jan 18 13 04:18 pm Link

Model

Maggie Xia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

overall port critic pls smile

Hope u feel better soon!

Jan 18 13 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I've always loved this one. ESP the shadows  in her eye sockets  (and she's wearing heavy black eye shadow to add to that) and yes she is mean muggin because I told her to haha
But everyone hates this photo.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121120/16/50ac2670106be_m.jpg

Jan 18 13 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Bek Ruszin wrote:

Derrick,

Yes and yes.  You've work in your portfolio that surpasses those.  Leave 'em behind and keep moving forward.

Spank you berry mush smile

Jan 18 13 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Moodscapes wrote:
Overall port please. Hope you're better soon.

Ugh.  Way too much.  Trim that shit down.  The only way you're going to get away with having a portfolio THAT big is if you're Neil Snape or Stefano and filling it with stunning shots.  It's just too cumbersome too look at every image.

You've got too many multiples from the same shoot.  I could over look this if there were outfit changes or something, but there isn't.  Single out your best one or two from each shoot and dump the rest.

You've got some really good stuff, but you've got some not-so good stuff that I feel negates your experience level.  Very experienced?  Nah.  Experienced?  Yes, once you trim the fat.

I've got to ask, why is there not more like this in your portfolio?
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120416/19/4f8cdb6fb7ca5_m.jpg
It's beautiful.  So much so, that it feels like THIS is the direction your portfolio should be going.

Jan 18 13 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Thoughts on this...

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130115/13/50f5ccd811f44_m.jpg

Jan 18 13 04:37 pm Link

Model

Model Dariana

New York, New York, US

overall port critic pls

Jan 18 13 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

TDSImages wrote:
Please critique my overall portfolio.

Ok, I'd really like to see you move in a more edgy/faux fashion/artistic sort of direction.  Like this:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120320/07/4f6893c8a5340_m.jpg
The only problem?  Bad crop.  Bad, BAD CROP!  YOU GO SIT IN A CORNER, CROP!

I don't know what else to tell you.  Your stuff isn't bad and it shows a degree of know-how, but there's nothing that's really jumping out at me (save for the image above).  Push the envelope a little more.  Head in that artistic direction.  Oh, and once you do, dump the maternity shots.

Jan 18 13 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

sasweets wrote:
This photo?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 4#31340959

Eyes not in focus, color off...bleh.

Jan 18 13 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Maggie Xia wrote:
overall port critic pls smile

Hope u feel better soon!

Quite lovely.  A few things I could nit-pick about, but nothing you'd be able to do anything about as a model. 

I would, however like to see some bigger, bolder gesturing from you.  Posing that goes beyond, "I am now going to put my arm up and push my hair around with my hand."  Be adventurous, be daring, be willing to take some risks and I think you'll continue in building an ever-improving portfolio.

Jan 18 13 04:53 pm Link

Model

sasweets

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Bek Ruszin wrote:

Eyes not in focus, color off...bleh.

That was the point. I still like it~. Thanks anyways.

Jan 18 13 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Rachel Reilly wrote:
I've always loved this one. ESP the shadows  in her eye sockets  (and she's wearing heavy black eye shadow to add to that) and yes she is mean muggin because I told her to haha
But everyone hates this photo.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121120/16/50ac2670106be_m.jpg

You know why they hate it?  Because the pose is off.  The eyeshadow - fine, the expression - tolerable.  That pose?  Not workin'.  I don't think the attire she's wearing helps, either.  There's no fluidity to the image, no good lines.  Just a bunch of boxy awkwardness.

Why the hell isn't this your avatar?!?!
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121024/21/5088c37e543f9_m.jpg

Jan 18 13 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

sasweets wrote:

The point was to ask about a mediocre image when you don't really care about my input so you wasted my time?  Super.  Have fun with that.

Jan 18 13 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Bek Ruszin wrote:
You know why they hate it?  Because the pose is off.  The eyeshadow - fine, the expression - tolerable.  That pose?  Not workin'.  I don't think the attire she's wearing helps, either.  There's no fluidity to the image, no good lines.  Just a bunch of boxy awkwardness.

Why the hell isn't this your avatar?!?!
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121024/21/5088c37e543f9_m.jpg

I can understand that, it makes sense.
Im So sad her outfit wasnt better!

Anyway I had that one as my avatar a long time ago., trying something new.

Thanks and feel better!

Jan 18 13 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

sasweets wrote:

I don't know what photographers you ve been talking to but eyes not in focus 99.99% of the time never looks good..ESP in a close up "beauty" shot

Jan 18 13 05:06 pm Link

Model

sasweets

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Bek Ruszin wrote:

The point was to ask about a mediocre image when you don't really care about my input so you wasted my time?  Super.  Have fun with that.

I just wanted feedback. Doesn't mean that I'm weak minded and going to agree with a 100% of what you're saying. I can't like the photo just because you don't? :S I'm not a sheep thanks. I didn't get anything out your critique so it was a waste of time for me.

Jan 18 13 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

overall portfolio please - and get well soon

Jan 18 13 05:08 pm Link

Model

sasweets

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Rachel Reilly wrote:

I don't know what photographers you ve been talking to but eyes not in focus 99.99% of the time never looks good..ESP in a close up "beauty" shot

When did I say I was talking to photographers? I just like the photo.

Jan 18 13 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Images by MR wrote:
Thoughts on this...

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130115/13/50f5ccd811f44_m.jpg

Honestly not sure how I feel about it.  I know I don't love it, but I don't hate it, either.  It seems a bit different from what's in your portfolio.

I don't know, I get the feeling that something is off.  I think it has something to do with the lighting and the overall dark colors in the photo.  Whatever it is, something's not quite working, but, if this is your attempt at trying something different, consider it a stepping stone.  In other words, I think it warrants attempting again.

Jan 18 13 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Moodscapes

Bek Ruszin wrote:

Ugh.  Way too much.  Trim that shit down.  The only way you're going to get away with having a portfolio THAT big is if you're Neil Snape or Stefano and filling it with stunning shots.  It's just too cumbersome too look at every image.

You've got too many multiples from the same shoot.  I could over look this if there were outfit changes or something, but there isn't.  Single out your best one or two from each shoot and dump the rest.

You've got some really good stuff, but you've got some not-so good stuff that I feel negates your experience level.  Very experienced?  Nah.  Experienced?  Yes, once you trim the fat.

I've got to ask, why is there not more like this in your portfolio?
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120416/19/4f8cdb6fb7ca5_m.jpg
It's beautiful.  So much so, that it feels like THIS is the direction your portfolio should be going.

Very helpful feedback - much appreciated. The reason I don't have more like that shot is just the hassle of having to provide shots to all the TFP participants - this one had separate model, mua and hairstylist each entitled to 5 edited shots from the shoot so that makes 15 shots to edit. At 2-3 hours per shot I ended up with about 40 hours editing from the one shoot. But one day when I become a fabulously wealthy very experienced photographer I'll start paying people so I only have to edit my own shots :-) Then I can do more of this style which I really did enjoy. Thanks again.

Jan 18 13 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

sasweets wrote:

When did I say I was talking to photographers? I just like the photo.

If you like it and you're happy with it, why would you even bother asking for a critique?  I don't get, but I'm done with it...have a nice day.

Jan 18 13 05:15 pm Link

Model

sasweets

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Bek Ruszin wrote:

If you like it and you're happy with it, why would you even bother asking for a critique?  I don't get, but I'm done with it...have a nice day.

Just wanted advice, you gave none. .-. Fatigué des personnes qui parlent en rond.

Jan 18 13 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Moodscapes wrote:

Very helpful feedback - much appreciated. The reason I don't have more like that shot is just the hassle of having to provide shots to all the TFP participants - this one had separate model, mua and hairstylist each entitled to 5 edited shots from the shoot so that makes 15 shots to edit. At 2-3 hours per shot I ended up with about 40 hours editing from the one shoot. But one day when I become a fabulously wealthy very experienced photographer I'll start paying people so I only have to edit my own shots :-) Then I can do more of this style which I really did enjoy. Thanks again.

You're a rare bird if you're going through all that.  I don't know of many photographers willing to give each and every member of the team their choice of five and then going from there. 

Is your time not as valuable as theirs?  If it is, YOU need to pick what you feel are the best 3 or 4 images, work on those and give those (and only those) to the members.  I'd rethink how you're negotiating your TF shoots.  Besides, what if someone, say your MUA, wants you to retouch an absolutely dreadful image?  Would you be comfortable having less than your best floating around on the internet.

You really need to do more beauty work.  I think it's your forte.

Jan 18 13 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

sasweets wrote:

Just wanted advice, you gave none. .-. Fatigué des personnes qui parlent en rond.

No.  You asked "This photo?" and I told you what I thought of "this photo".  Plain and simple.  Go play somewhere else, now.

Jan 18 13 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

People may be confused...

In this thread the OP is supposed to be grumpy, NOT the people being critiqued.

Get with the program, people!!

Shape up, or ship out !!!

Jan 18 13 05:27 pm Link

Model

sasweets

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Bek Ruszin wrote:

No.  You asked "This photo?" and I told you what I thought of "this photo".  Plain and simple.  Go play somewhere else, now.

No constructive criticism. Just disrespectful and belittling. Great job. Don't even get why you bothered to reply since you said you were done with the conversation. .-. Anyways I'm just going to go it's boring talking to a sick person. Dans tous les sens du mot.

Jan 18 13 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Ariana Varg wrote:
overall port critic pls

I see potential.  In your full-body shots, you seem to photograph taller than 5'5". 

Sadly, you've got a lot of headshots that are less than flattering (gaussian blur irks me). 

By far, these two are your best and I feel you'd be doing yourself a favor to use one of them as your avatar:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130117/15/50f882a773b32_m.jpg
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130110/11/50ef19a19a18f_m.jpg

Keep shooting and shooting often...beginning with getting some better headshots.  You should be able to work your way up to shooting with some half decent photographers in no time.

Jan 18 13 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

sasweets wrote:

No constructive criticism. Just disrespectful and belittling. Great job. Don't even get why you bothered to reply since you said you were done with the conversation. .-. Anyways I'm just going to go it's boring talking to a sick person. Dans tous les sens du mot.

:eyeroll:

You obviously have a hard time paying attention in addition to not being able to take any criticism.

Be careful playing in traffic, dearie.

Jan 18 13 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
People may be confused...

In this thread the OP is supposed to be grumpy, NOT the people being critiqued.

Get with the program, people!!

Shape up, or ship out !!!

LOL, Dan!

The butthurt is strong in this one.

But anyway...back to the GRUMPY critique.  Other people are patiently waiting...

Jan 18 13 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Rachel Reilly wrote:

I can understand that, it makes sense.
Im So sad her outfit wasnt better!

Anyway I had that one as my avatar a long time ago., trying something new.

Thanks and feel better!

If at first you don't succeed...

Personally, I think it's your best.  You should be putting that front and center.

Jan 18 13 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Moodscapes

Bek Ruszin wrote:

You're a rare bird if you're going through all that.  I don't know of many photographers willing to give each and every member of the team their choice of five and then going from there. 

Is your time not as valuable as theirs?  If it is, YOU need to pick what you feel are the best 3 or 4 images, work on those and give those (and only those) to the members.  I'd rethink how you're negotiating your TF shoots.  Besides, what if someone, say your MUA, wants you to retouch an absolutely dreadful image?  Would you be comfortable having less than your best floating around on the internet.

You really need to do more beauty work.  I think it's your forte.

Hmmm - well you've really given me a lot to think about and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your feedback. Yeah maybe I'm being too democratic re my TFPs - I will really give that some thought.

I honestly had never considered Beauty as an area I should go more into. I did love the collection of shoots in that style I did. Mind you the editing on Beauty is murderous I have to say compared to conceptual and art nude. But it is also incredibly satisfying.

Thanks heaps. I really liked your work I have to say although couldn't help smiling at the multiple images from the same shoot - great models and poses though - isn't it hard to choose sometimes! Anyway I was inspired enough after your comments to cull 30 shots - I know just a start but it's already made a difference I think.

Jan 18 13 05:42 pm Link