Forums > General Industry > Where to draw the line as a model

Model

Sandra Vixen

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You emphasized the word "forced", what do you think she meant by that? maybe you should ask her?

I sometimes use my own costumes/outfits, other times whatever the choreographer wants.

But I'm a dance model, and more of a dancer, so things are kind of different for us. We actually have to do a LOT of work.

I once had to light, direct, and help out with choreography and wardrobe for an inexperienced photographer trying to put on a fashion show. I ended up being there for 6 hours and only danced for 15 minutes.

Feb 01 13 12:08 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Erika Muse wrote:
A friend of mine who use to model told me that a model should NEVER be forced to do her own hair and makeup, or to buy the clothes for the photoshoot esp. if she's not getting paid.

How can a model be forced to do her own hair and makeup or buy clothes? At gunpoint?

It's all a matter of prior agreement. At least between amateurs and/or semi professionals.

That everything the model needs should be there upon ARRIVAL because the model's only job is to sell the look and not create it.

Doing a professional photoshooting with professional models it would be a weird idea to waste time (and above all money) by not having anything prepared...

If you book professional models via a professional model agency people will expect professional standards. And that means that mua, hair, styling, clothes etc. are provided by the customer. The model fly in and does her/his job. No more, no less.

Feb 01 13 04:04 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Erika Muse wrote:
LOL at some point yes, i want to shoot artistic and anonymous nudes (i think its obvious that i'm leaning towards that genre) smile

& Luckily any photographer who shoots with me has a model who does her own hair and makeup, my friend's comment just made me believe that i was doing something wrong.

you are not doing anything wrong. What your friend described was the life of a well known agency model. Even then, when I worked for CBS and we hired models for a commercial we often told the agent to have them bring this or that with them..and even hair and makeup ready on occasion. Now if it were a commercial for Nieman Marcus they had EVERYTHING on set and yes those models were just told to come in freshly washed, clean faced and to wear lose clothing. And sometimes they even got to wear the commercial clothes home as a bonus for doing an extra great job. Depended on the person the store sent to "keep me in line". LOL! Some were nicer than others. At the end of the shoot I signed the Agency Vouchers for the models and they got paid in 30-60 days by their agency.

Feb 01 13 04:20 am Link

Model

Oliv Oil

Atherton, England, United Kingdom

I always do my own make up for shoots, but because I do my own make up really well.
I am hoping to start working with MUA'S and hair stylists this year though.

I agree about the buying outfits, nah!
I've bought new outfits to use for shoots before, of my own will... mostly because I knew I would wear them lots in general everyday life also.

Feb 08 13 06:52 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Being able to help create a look can help you get modelling work, whether paid or for trade. That can include wardrobe, hair, makeup, and accessories.

Don't expect the photographer to provide very much unless they have a client that requests you wear a specific item. Being able to do your own basic hair and makeup is important as well. The more you are able to offer, the more likely someone will want you to work with them.

It doesn't need to cost a lot to build a wardrobe if you shop at thrift stores or resale shops. Just as an example, every single article of clothing I am wearing in any of the pictures in my portfolio (in the ones where I have anything on) came from thrift stores. In the first composite of six shots, I bought the vintage looking dress the day before for $3 and it was simply perfect for the look that the photographer had requested. 

There have been several times when an artist or photographer has dressed me up in vintage looking lingerie, stockings, whatever their vision for the moment was, but that is the exception and not the rule.

Feb 08 13 07:37 am Link