Forums > Model Colloquy > Comp Cards for a Freelance Model

Model

Greeneyed Goddess

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I am a freelance llama.

Models and photogs, what is your opinion?

Do freelance llamas need comp cards? Why/Why not?

Models, do you have them and if yes, what is the best way to use them for marketing?

Photogs, what are your thoughts a freelance llama using comp cards? Is her online portfolio enough for you to make a decision?

Feb 08 13 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Greeneyed Goddess wrote:
I am a freelance model.

Do freelance models need comp cards? Why/Why not?

Models, do you have them and if yes, what is the best way to use them for marketing?

Photogs, what are your thoughts a freelance model using comp cards? Is her online portfolio enough for you to make a decision?

D you go on a lot of in-person castings for work?  At those castings, are there agency girls leaving Comps behind?

If so, you need comps.  If you never go on in-person castings or go-sees, probably not.

Feb 08 13 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

JONATHAN RICHARD

New York, New York, US

Greeneyed Goddess wrote:
I am a freelance model.

Do freelance models need comp cards? Why/Why not?

Photogs, what are your thoughts a freelance model using comp cards? Is her online portfolio enough for you to make a decision?

As  I have expressed in a recent post in regards to  comp card and portfolio and as mentioned here

…Your competition will be arriving at castings with such so why not you ?

A comp card is the main marketing   tool for commercial situations Yet it may also benefit  to also have a portfolio along with you as some clients ask to see it and I have found it is good for a model to bring to shoots to show the photographer or a client.

Feb 08 13 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jonathan Richard wrote:

As  I have expresses in a recent post in regards to  comp card and portfolio and as mentioned here

…Your competition will be arriving at castings with such so why not you ?

A comp card is the main marketing   tool for commercial situations Yet it may also benefit  to also have a portfolio along with you as some clients ask to see it and I have found it is good for a model to bring to shoots to show the photographer or a client.

That sounds backwards to me.  Your portfolio is your main tool and I always expect to see one at a go see while your comp card is your leave behind, but regardless you should have both.

Feb 08 13 03:49 pm Link

Model

Greeneyed Goddess

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I read through the answers and it seems like I did not clarify that I do not go to castings. I book my shoots online.

I probably meant to ask if emailing a photog a comp card made in photoshop would be more beneficial instead of sending a few requested photos and/or a link to my MM profile (the way I usually do it)

Feb 08 13 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Greeneyed Goddess wrote:
I read through the answers and it seems like I did not clarify that I do not go to castings. I book my shoots online.

I probably meant to ask if emailing a photog a comp card made in photoshop would be more beneficial instead of sending a few requested photos and/or a link to my MM profile (the way I usually do it)

It would not be more helpful.  But it also won't hurt either.  There is no harm in trying this method and seeing if you get good feedback about it.

Feb 08 13 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Greeneyed Goddess wrote:

Online comp cards should be welcomed by most photographers IMO, you get to see talent you might not otherwise see.

That being said ...

I have hired 2 models in the past that I never would have known about had I not received their comp card in the (postal) mail.

So to that point yes it may be beneficial. Also note, I did not hire about 4 or 5 that I received comp cards for.

So you need to consider just random mailings, is it worth the cost to have them printed, and then mail them? As far as email goes, some will see it as spam, but then you do not have the associated costs.

Feb 08 13 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Greeneyed Goddess wrote:

I looked at your portfolio, then looked at your credited photos and, if you were in OZ, would have been happy to discuss a shoot with you.

For me, your credited photos were far more influential than any comp card (electronic or physical) could be because they show what you can achieve with other people (the absence of credited photos is a real red flag - anyone can pay to get good photos for their portfolio, but credits show that you can work with people).

So, spend the money if you wish, but, given that you work on-line and not in person, I would suggest that you save your money.

Feb 08 13 06:48 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Greeneyed Goddess wrote:
I am a freelance llama.

Do freelance llamas need comp cards? Why/Why not?

Photogs, what are your thoughts a freelance llama using comp cards? Is her online portfolio enough for you to make a decision?

I always have one, never once needed it!

Feb 08 13 06:51 pm Link

Model

Goodbye4

Los Angeles, California, US

If you just book shoots online, then there's no point in having comp cards.

If you attend in-person castings regularly then sure.

Feb 09 13 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Kelleth wrote:
If you just book shoots online, then there's no point in having comp cards.

If you attend in-person castings regularly then sure.

This right here

But you are gorgeous. If a model that looked like you sent me your comp card I would definitely take notice and keep it in on file.

That said I don't know the market in Utah but if you were in a major market I would encourage you to seek representation with a legitimate commercial agency.

Feb 09 13 06:38 pm Link

Model

Greeneyed Goddess

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

UltimateAppeal wrote:

Online comp cards should be welcomed by most photographers IMO, you get to see talent you might not otherwise see.

That being said ...

I have hired 2 models in the past that I never would have known about had I not received their comp card in the (postal) mail.

So to that point yes it may be beneficial. Also note, I did not hire about 4 or 5 that I received comp cards for.

So you need to consider just random mailings, is it worth the cost to have them printed, and then mail them? As far as email goes, some will see it as spam, but then you do not have the associated costs.

That is a wonderful idea, thank you tons!!! I am going to make and print some comp cards to mail to various photographers in my area.

Feb 09 13 08:39 pm Link

Model

Greeneyed Goddess

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

natural beauties of qld wrote:
I looked at your portfolio, then looked at your credited photos and, if you were in OZ, would have been happy to discuss a shoot with you.

Your portfolio is gorgeous and I would love to work with you some day as well!

Feb 09 13 08:40 pm Link

Model

Greeneyed Goddess

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

hassanchop wrote:

This right here

But you are gorgeous. If a model that looked like you sent me your comp card I would definitely take notice and keep it in on file.

That said I don't know the market in Utah but if you were in a major market I would encourage you to seek representation with a legitimate commercial agency.

Thank you! However, I hate the very idea of wasting my time driving to various castings, beg to be chosen, get rejected, etc... That is why I prefer freelance.

Feb 09 13 08:41 pm Link