Forums > General Industry > Kids Photographing older

Photographer

Joe Alca Photography

Aurora, Colorado, US

What are your thoughts about kids photographing like older models ?
Why do people get so offended by it. Keeping it [PG]

Yes its unusual but its not bad.

www.facebook.com/modelhaileygutierrez

Feb 11 13 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Joe Alca Photography wrote:
Why do people get so offended by it. Keeping it [ PG ]

Kids... like a 5 yr old?

Feb 11 13 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Alca Photography

Aurora, Colorado, US

Feb 11 13 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

like 8- 15 around their

Maybe more info would be great!!

How old are the models?

Feb 11 13 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

If you get a chance watch " Born into brothels " kids can take amazing photos!

Feb 11 13 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Alca Photography

Aurora, Colorado, US

Images by MR wrote:

Maybe more info would be great!!

How old are the models?

I updated the first post with a link

Feb 11 13 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I updated the first post with a link

I see what you done there...

Feb 11 13 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Alca Photography

Aurora, Colorado, US

George Ruge wrote:
If you get a chance watch " Born into brothels " kids can take amazing photos!

I'll take a look at it thanx , but i was referring to kid models photographing them as adult models [PG] and people finding that offensive,

Feb 11 13 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp- Homme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Feb 11 13 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

A 9 year old? I hope 1) The parents are running the page and 2) They are doing a lot to take care of her and keep her protected.

Feb 11 13 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp- Homme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

To answer the question: I think that photographing children as adults can really work. Thylane Blondeau was 10 when she participated in an editorial that satirized the obsession with youth and beauty. A bunch of Americans lost their shit, it was great. Also, one of my favorite photographs ever is Sally Mann's "Candy Cigarette" which featured a child who was presumably smoking.

The child on your like-page just looks like a kid in dramatic lighting, not like an adult or in any kind of adult situation.

Feb 11 13 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Shon D.- Homme wrote:
To answer the question: I think that photographing children as adults can really work. Thylane Blondeau was 10 when she participated in an editorial that satirized the obsession with youth and beauty. A bunch of Americans lost their shit, it was great. Also, one of my favorite photographs ever is Sally Mann's "Candy Cigarette" which featured a child who was presumably smoking.

The child on your like-page just looks like a kid in dramatic lighting, not like an adult or in any kind of adult situation.

Pretty much.

I can't say much without getting into a critique but suffice to say those images are not what agencies are looking for if you are asking if those images are commercially viable.

Feb 11 13 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

I know you didn't shoot her header image

that picture is not flattering at all.

Not sure what the intent is of the photos but again -- if they are seeking representation that is not what agencies are looking for.

If they are something that the parents wanted then and you got paid I guess that's all that matters.

I don't find the images offensive.

Feb 11 13 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Shon D.- Homme wrote:

That's one side of it. The other side is that other photographers aren't satirizing the obsession with youth and beauty, but abusing it and exploiting it. Taking it too far, sexualizing little children should make us uneasy. Satirizing it should make us think about the issue. It shouldn't trivialize the issue.

For the record, I thought Sally Mann's series was brilliant.

The OP's Facebook work is well done.

Feb 11 13 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

Does anyone recall the case of JonBenet Ramsey? Pageant pictures of her were creepy in the extreme.

Feb 12 13 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Stanley L Moore wrote:
Does anyone recall the case of JonBenet Ramsey? Pageant pictures of her were creepy in the extreme.

Yep. And there was the little girl dressed up like the prostitute from Pretty Woman. That whole pageant scene is creepy.

Feb 12 13 12:06 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

Stanley L Moore wrote:

IMO most children's beauty pageants are creepy. Fake teeth, fake tans, fake hair on children and stage moms on roids no thank you

The facebook pics were not like pageant pics.

Feb 12 13 12:10 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

hassanchop wrote:
IMO most children's beauty pageants are creepy. Fake teeth, fake tans, fake hair on children and stage moms on roids no thank you

The facebook pics were not like pageant pics.

The question of kids being photographed looking like adults is too vague for me to discuss, however I do find those "beauty pageants" and those like Honey Boo Boo offensive!

Feb 12 13 12:15 am Link

Model

Miroslava Svoboda

Seattle, Washington, US

Personally I don't find it offensive I just find it sad. Kids are kids and there is lots of beauty in just that fact alone and wonder, if you photograph them as adults you take that away.

Feb 12 13 12:20 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Why do people get so offended by it. Keeping it [PG]

www.facebook.com/modelhaileygutierrez

I don't think people get offended by children photographing older, they usually get offended by the attempt to shoot a child to look sexually appealing.

Darren
www.facebook.com/darrenbradephotograpy

Feb 12 13 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Darren Brade wrote:

I don't think people get offended by children photographing older, they usually get offended by the attempt to shoot a child to look sexually appealing.

Darren
www.facebook.com/darrenbradephotograpy

To bring back the Sally Mann thing ... a lot of the controversy of that work wasn't just because she photographed naked kids ... little kids are naked all the time.  I'd be shocked if there were more than a handful of people in this thread whose parents don't have at least one nudie photo of them as a little kid.

So no, the nudity itself was not the problem.

The problem was that the kids in the images were displaying a level of self-awareness that is usually only seen in adults.  When you look at your baby photos, you probably have no idea you're naked in them - you're just running around, having a bath, whatever.  But Mann's kids look like they are intentionally naked, or at the very least aware that they are being photographed in the nude.  How much of this is direction and how much is the kids' upbringing I can't say, even after reading/watching a lot on the subject.

But when the subject's demeanor changes, it changes the relationship between image and viewer, and as a result the viewer's response to the image changes.

How much shit you're willing to get yourself into is up to you.  It's potentially a lot ... or absolutely none at all.  One thing is for sure though:  if I were to do that, I'd only photograph kids from my own family.  It's a lot harder to shake the accusations of pedophilia when they're strangers that you've brought in to photograph.  In my mind, the only time you should be photographing kids you don't know as adults, PG or otherwise, is if you already have an established body of innocent work, preferably something published, or if you're looking to make a statement and you don't mind possible controversy.

Feb 12 13 07:22 am Link