Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > What do I need to work on for my portfolio?

Makeup Artist

ShannonJennings MUA

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

I want to start approaching agencies & start to try to get some paid work. I have been doing tonnes of TF (and assisting) & am now starting to be a lot more selective as some (most) of the photos I have received back have been pretty useless for my portfolio as far as I'm concerned.

I want to work more in fashion & advertising. Although due to my location I will also have to learn to love bridal to make a living.

Is there anything I am really missing for my port & are there some looks I should scrap?

Many thanks.

Feb 15 13 02:49 am Link

Model

angel emily

Boston, Massachusetts, US

ShannonJennings MUA wrote:
I want to start approaching agencies & start to try to get some paid work. I have been doing tonnes of TF (and assisting) & am now starting to be a lot more selective as some (most) of the photos I have received back have been pretty useless for my portfolio as far as I'm concerned.

I want to work more in fashion & advertising. Although due to my location I will also have to learn to love bridal to make a living.

Is there anything I am really missing for my port & are there some looks I should scrap?

Many thanks.

You need to start working with (more) agency caliber models if your goal is to approach fashion agencies.

More stuff like this:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130121/03/50fd2a3477127_m.jpg

Less stuff like this:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130128/01/5106451adbef0_m.jpg

While fun, that image is of no use to a MUA - it's upside down, for one, and for you, you need the focus to be on the face, which means headshots.

Take a look at my friend Teague's portfolio - she does lots of testing with agencies in the Boston market - https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1672284/viewall

You'll notice they're mostly all headshots, tightly cropped, and photographed well, with minimal to no photoshop.

You'll want to have some bridal work in there, too, if that is also your goal.

Teague is very selective.  Find models who have GREAT skin, are young, and have great facial features -- and try several different looks that would work in a fashion/commercial market - from natural to dramatic.  Work with great photographers and hair stylists too, if you don't do hair, to make the shot great.

She has no problem asking a photographer for headshots if she's working on a trade basis (which is rare these days), because that's what SHE needs.  Work with photographers who understand this.

Feb 15 13 06:41 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

If you are trying to sell your ability to do makeup then you might want to invest in quality headshots, that way you can actually show your work

Feb 15 13 09:06 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I want to start approaching agencies

Research the agencies in your local market...
decide which agency you feel is a good fit...
Study the books of their top talent, make your book mirror their visual statement...

Every market is different, albeit the methodology is the same...
give the agency a book that mirrors their visual statement
In my market in Washington DC there is only one legit agency for stylist...
T.H.E. Artist Agency
Look at their top artist, that is what you have to meet &/or exceed to work for them...

start to try to get some paid work.

Have you considered a serious focus Bridal?  This indeed is the major revenue stream for most working artist.  As you already realize...

Although due to my location I will also have to learn to love bridal to make a living.

there is much wisdom in the aforementioned...

I want to work more in fashion & advertising.

Maybe rethink this unless you are independently wealthy... I work for advertizing agencies now and again... mostly corporate video work... predominately male talent... airbrush and anti-shine and their done... Fashion is the least likely to generate a revenue stream... brutal but true reality...

Is there anything I am really missing for my port

You should consider ethnic diversity as a top priority... and you seriously need more male talent... male grooming is a MAJOR source of advertising agency work... it pays well... swap out the rock guitarist for a corporate shot of a gentleman in a three piece suit... In the industry this type of work is called "editorial portraiture" not to be confused with fashion editorial... for a REAL commercial photographer "editorial portraiture" i.e. shooting a professional in their working environment is a huge source of revenue... here in Washington DC doing MUA for this can and does pay better than bridal...

bottom line?  Add a focus on male grooming... and broaden the ethnic diversity in your book... lose any imagery that isn't agency quality, your perceived worth is only as good as your weakest image... better to have only four exceptionally strong images than 20 "good" ones...

final thoughts... if you don't have formal training credentials then say nothing... indicating you are self trained does not create worth and value in your BIO...

all the best on your journey...

Feb 15 13 09:56 am Link

Makeup Artist

ShannonJennings MUA

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

ArtistryImage wrote:

I want to start approaching agencies

Research the agencies in your local market...
decide which agency you feel is a good fit...
Study the books of their top talent, make your book mirror their visual statement...

Every market is different, albeit the methodology is the same...
give the agency a book that mirrors their visual statement
In my market in Washington DC there is only one legit agency for stylist...
T.H.E. Artist Agency
Look at their top artist, that is what you have to meet &/or exceed to work for them...

start to try to get some paid work.

Have you considered a serious focus Bridal?  This indeed is the major revenue stream for most working artist.  As you already realize...

Although due to my location I will also have to learn to love bridal to make a living.

there is much wisdom in the aforementioned...

I want to work more in fashion & advertising.

Maybe rethink this unless you are independently wealthy... I work for advertizing agencies now and again... mostly corporate video work... predominately male talent... airbrush and anti-shine and their done... Fashion is the least likely to generate a revenue stream... brutal but true reality...

You should consider ethnic diversity as a top priority... and you seriously need more male talent... male grooming is a MAJOR source of advertising agency work... it pays well... swap out the rock guitarist for a corporate shot of a gentleman in a three piece suit... In the industry this type of work is called "editorial portraiture" not to be confused with fashion editorial... for a REAL commercial photographer "editorial portraiture" i.e. shooting a professional in their working environment is a huge source of revenue... here in Washington DC doing MUA for this can and does pay better than bridal...

bottom line?  Add a focus on male grooming... and broaden the ethnic diversity in your book... lose any imagery that isn't agency quality, your perceived worth is only as good as your weakest image... better to have only four exceptionally strong images than 20 "good" ones...

final thoughts... if you don't have formal training credentials then say nothing... indicating you are self trained does not create worth and value in your BIO...

all the best on your journey...

Thank you so much, I can use all of this.

Feb 15 13 12:51 pm Link