Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > New Retoucher - Harsh Criticism Welcome!

Retoucher

Luke from Photoggle

Independence, Kentucky, US

Feb 22 13 11:28 am Link

Retoucher

Alejandro Crespo

Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, Bolivia

Luke from Photoggle wrote:
Please critique...

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … fb53bf.jpg

Try adding [img]link to image[/img] in the future, it will embed the picture here, like this:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130221/12/5126833fb53bf.jpg

For my taste, the eyes look too fake and like if they were pasted there from a drawing. Try to lower a littlebit the opacity of them to give them back some 3D effect. There are some dark spots in the skin aswell, try checking some of the Dodge and Burn threads in the retouching forum, you can fix these things in a couple of minutes smile. Plus try to sharpen a little the overall image to reduce the washout feeling that the image get from the skin blur.

You can also remove some of the straight hair with paint brush or clone stamp in darken mode, picking colors from the surroundings of that hair smile

Feb 22 13 01:22 pm Link

Retoucher

Retouch007

East Newark, New Jersey, US

I like the original way better. If you really look at the original it didn't need much work with d&b and a clone here and there. I would have focused on getting a good conversion and color story for the image instead.

Feb 23 13 01:44 pm Link

Retoucher

Luke from Photoggle

Independence, Kentucky, US

R G wrote:
I like the original way better. If you really look at the original it didn't need much work with d&b and a clone here and there. I would have focused on getting a good conversion and color story for the image instead.

Okay so I tried to take your advice. I think I made improvements based on your comments but I'm concerned I'm still "over doing it". Please critique...

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130225/09/512ba1dcc7874.jpg

Mar 01 13 01:03 pm Link

Retoucher

Retouch007

East Newark, New Jersey, US

First reconsider not water marking anything ask any working retoucher even check retouching studio/houses online portfolio's the good ones won't mark anything.

It seems to me you have a real good eye and can spot when things are off, which is 101% gold and if not you can develop it just takes a little time I was somewhere in between when I started and I am still learning.

I see a couple of things I would consider doing differently like the color and skin, etc. that is if you agree with my style of retouching.

Question:

what do you see that is objectionable?

what are you going for with this image? a natural look or a more retouched look i.e. painterly or glamour look, it's all good.

Look online for a image that looks like this one that is done in the direction you want to go then try to match that story with this one with the retouching, color story etc.

I am curious paste a reference so I can see where you want to go with this (potentially). Also, you can send me a message if I don't respond I am on a job but do take breaks.

Mar 01 13 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Adam S Morris

New Albany, Ohio, US

I like the second retouch much better - much more detail in the skin, and yet you still reduced the patchiness, which improves the skin, but keeps it looking real.  Reducing the wrinkles slightly in the hands is nice - makes her look younger.

I may have removed the hair above the eye, but that might depend on what it's being used for, and possibly cleaned up the whites of the eyes a bit more (taking out the veins).

Also, not sure if you were trying to increase the blush on her cheek - it's nice effect - but I probably would have reduced the redness.

Mar 18 13 02:31 pm Link