Forums > Critique > I want to improve!

Photographer

Vukres Mirna

Posts: 6

Zagreb, Grad Zagreb, Croatia

Hello people. This is my first time writing in the forums! I'm kinda scared. tongue

Anyway, I would really like to hear what you think about my work. I know I don't have much stuff in my portfolio here on MM, but still would love to hear your advice! big_smile Thanks!

Feb 26 13 12:59 pm Link

Model

FranklinElsey

Posts: 71

Omaha, Nebraska, US

I wish I was a photographer so I could help you, but I took a look at the pictures in your port and I liked what I saw. Maybe a photographer will pop onto this thread and give you something substantial to work with. In my opinion: keep on doing what you are doing. These pictures are taken with your creative eye and I think you are using it well.

Feb 26 13 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Posts: 3090

Walnut Creek, California, US

FranklinElsey wrote:
I wish I was a photographer so I could help you, but I took a look at the pictures in your port and I liked what I saw. Maybe a photographer will pop onto this thread and give you something substantial to work with. In my opinion: keep on doing what you are doing. These pictures are taken with your creative eye and I think you are using it well.

+1

But just one worthless opinion.   smile

Feb 26 13 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

whaze

Posts: 47

Chicago, Illinois, US

Very good start - keep shooting! Love what you do and you will succeed. It's that simple.

Feb 26 13 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jacob Howe

Posts: 41

Jasper, Alabama, US

I like what you have so far. smile

Feb 26 13 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

Posts: 7319

New York, New York, US

You are doing great so far! Keep shooting, don't worry.

Feb 26 13 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Lim

Posts: 63

Falls Church, Virginia, US

I have seen better but i have seen many worse..smile Meaning: I like what you have so far....

Feb 26 13 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

MichaelClements

Posts: 1739

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Try shooting out of your comfort zone

Feb 26 13 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

Posts: 2918

New York, New York, US

Welcome Vukres,

Not a bad start for a new photographer.  A weakness may be your attempt at story telling- your avatar looks contrived as does the other black and white.  These two pics plus I have some issues with and then the red hair woman as well with the extreme hair, but at least you are trying to tell a story in the B&W shots.

So- just shoot some pretty pics with less of a story and ease up on the stylin- just for now.  Capture some real life moments some candid shots some joy too.

All the best

Mark

Feb 26 13 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Vukres Mirna

Posts: 6

Zagreb, Grad Zagreb, Croatia

Thanks guys, glad you like it. smile

MichaelClements wrote:
Try shooting out of your comfort zone

You really got me there, for I am always afraid to shoot out of my comfort zone. I always worry will the llama like the pictures and so on... Thank you. smile

Mark wrote:
Welcome Vukres,

Not a bad start for a new photographer.  A weakness may be your attempt at story telling- your avatar looks contrived as does the other black and white.  These two pics plus I have some issues with and then the red hair woman as well with the extreme hair, but at least you are trying to tell a story in the B

Feb 26 13 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

J E W E T T

Posts: 2525

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

You are on the right track; just shoot, shoot, shoot.

Feb 27 13 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Vukres Mirna

Posts: 6

Zagreb, Grad Zagreb, Croatia

Robert Jewett wrote:
You are on the right track; just shoot, shoot, shoot.

Thank you, I will!

Another question - should I post a collage of a photoshoot or just pick one image (the best) and put it here in my portfolio? smile

Feb 27 13 02:50 am Link

Photographer

Damian Burcher Photogra

Posts: 2

Solihull, England, United Kingdom

I'm no expert more an enthusiastic amateur.

As there are only a few pictues in your portfolio hard to judge but I liked what I saw.

Photos one and four are lovely portraits, great depth of field and lovely bokeh on the fourth one.

The nun and the guy are great concept images and I like the composite. My only bits of advice would be to maybe step further away, all the images seem to have the subjects filling most of the frame, step back or shoot wider to show some context of location. And also mix up the angles, your standing position seems pretty safe (i.e most beginners would stand at their normal standing height or crouch), so lie down on the ground, climb a tree, get high, get low, mix it up a bit.

Good Luck.

damo
www.damianburcher.com

Feb 27 13 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Vukres Mirna

Posts: 6

Zagreb, Grad Zagreb, Croatia

Damian Burcher Photogra wrote:
I'm no expert more an enthusiastic amateur.

As there are only a few pictues in your portfolio hard to judge but I liked what I saw.

Photos one and four are lovely portraits, great depth of field and lovely bokeh on the fourth one.

The nun and the guy are great concept images and I like the composite. My only bits of advice would be to maybe step further away, all the images seem to have the subjects filling most of the frame, step back or shoot wider to show some context of location. And also mix up the angles, your standing position seems pretty safe (i.e most beginners would stand at their normal standing height or crouch), so lie down on the ground, climb a tree, get high, get low, mix it up a bit.

Good Luck.

damo
www.damianburcher.com

Thank you, great advice! I will try that. smile

Feb 27 13 11:27 am Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Posts: 1743

Washington, District of Columbia, US

i agree with everyone.
onthe right track, keep practicing
maybe invest in at least one travel light, might enhance your outdoor photography.
work with more models and stylists/ muas

Feb 27 13 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Vukres Mirna

Posts: 6

Zagreb, Grad Zagreb, Croatia

RachelReilly wrote:
i agree with everyone.
onthe right track, keep practicing
maybe invest in at least one travel light, might enhance your outdoor photography.
work with more models and stylists/ muas

I agree, thank you. big_smile
I'm soo glad you guys think I'm on the right track haha, yay! smile

Feb 27 13 11:45 am Link