Forums > Model Colloquy > Teen model tips

Photographer

Extrosy

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

My cousin's wants me to take some modelling shots of their 7th grade daughter. 

What kind of shots would serve them best?

I think the mom, my cousin's wife, wanted to do swim suit, but I must admit that makes me a bit uncomfortable. 

Thanks

Apr 02 13 09:15 am Link

Model

KatieMariexo

New York, New York, US

I think casual (a cute tee and jeans) would be perfect, or even a nice dress.

Apr 02 13 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

If it makes you uncomfortable it would be best to tell them that. Your opinion matters if you are shooting it. Swimsuits are ok, tastefully posed.  Jeans a nice top and non sexy poses would be the ideal way to go. I shoot my nieces all the time and tell them to just look natural, nothing sexy at all. They don't want to model, they just want nice photos to post on FB.

Apr 02 13 09:26 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

Depends. That's close to the age where you can become a "regular" llama, rather than a child llama.

If you don't feel comfortable doing swimsuit, then just say no.

If she's got a body for fashion, then try some kid-friendly fashion-- clearly nothing too revealing, but if she wants to get into llamaing, it will be beneficial for her to have a picture that shows what her body looks like. I'd either go the commercial route with shorts and a (nice looking) tank top-- colorful, smiley, you-know-the-drill stuff, or go the fashion route. Maybe a mid-length dress?

I'd definitely try to get some nice portraits as well.

For me, personally, the direction would depend on what she looks like.

Apr 02 13 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Hi_Spade Photography

Florence, South Carolina, US

K I C K H A M wrote:
Depends. That's close to the age where you can become a "regular" model, rather than a child model.

If you don't feel comfortable doing swimsuit, then just say no.

If she's got a body for fashion, then try some kid-friendly fashion-- clearly nothing too revealing, but if she wants to get into modeling, it will be beneficial for her to have a picture that shows what her body looks like. I'd either go the commercial route with shorts and a (nice looking) tank top-- colorful, smiley, you-know-the-drill stuff, or go the fashion route. Maybe a mid-length dress?

I'd definitely try to get some nice portraits as well.

For me, personally, the direction would depend on what she looks like.

+1 smile.

Apr 02 13 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Extrosy

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Here she is...
https://oi48.tinypic.com/mcvy1t.jpg

Apr 02 13 11:17 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

Extrosy wrote:
Here she is...
https://oi48.tinypic.com/mcvy1t.jpg

Oh so cute!

Yeah, if I were you I'd focus on commercial smiling type of stuff.

I also think something like this could be nice for her:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121120/20/50ac5638ca9e6_m.jpg

Have fun!

Apr 02 13 11:42 am Link

Model

Meghan Hale

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Look at younger teen and kids clothing store catalogues and the types of pictures they have them do for advertisements.

Apr 02 13 01:55 pm Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

She is cuuuute!

For my first portfolio shoots, they asked me to bring a variety of "everday clothes," one or two nice dresses, and a bathing suit. It should look more "kiddish" and fun at 7th grade; don't worry about a string bikini or anything.

Apr 02 13 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

This is what I thought of....

https://www.buzzscale.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/LesMiserables1282.jpg

But I think that's too serious. 

Whatever she is into.....like sports, or Twilight, or One Direction, etc......that as a theme would probably make her most happy.

Apr 02 13 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

R Byron Johnson

Norman, Oklahoma, US

She's adorable, and that's what the shoot should be about.  Just photograph her behaving like a kid rather than trying to impersonate an adult, like so many underage models unfortunately do.

And as far as a swimsuit goes....Someone her age posing in a swimsuit in a studio setting or sunbathing on a lawn would look inappropriate;  but her laughing and having fun in a pool, not so much.  It just should be contextual.

Apr 02 13 09:42 pm Link