Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > portfolio material--- product retouch...

Retoucher

Agnese Freimane

Chesterfield, England, United Kingdom

I am wondering if i am the only one who has difficulties to find any kind of product raw images to retouch.

I was approaching a photographer today and offered to retouch some product images of his,and send him the full res back and if he would like it we could use the result both for portfolio, but he was like---- i dont give my hard work away.

I am thinking, really, would it be a give away for the photographer?

Apr 23 13 06:17 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Agnese Lupike wrote:
I am wondering if i am the only one who has difficulties to find any kind of product raw images to retouch.

I was approaching a photographer today and offered to retouch some product images of his,and send him the full res back and if he would like it we could use the result both for portfolio, but he was like---- i dont give my hard work away.

I am thinking, really, would it be a give away for the photographer?

Yes if he does not need a retoucher it would be giving it away and not a fair trade for him. Other artists such as models, MUA, stylists etc have paid photographers to shoot something they needed for their portfolio. If is not a equal trade then it would essentially be giving away.

If he does not have a need for your services  why should he give you the photo.

Apr 23 13 06:28 am Link

Retoucher

Agnese Freimane

well then why not say so, thanks not intrested.

Apr 23 13 06:32 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Agnese Lupike wrote:
well then why not say so, thanks not intrested.

Maybe it was his way of saying if you want it you can buy it.

Apr 23 13 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

I shoot product daily, maybe you just asked the wrong photographer lol

www.artofimaging.com

Apr 23 13 06:59 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Agnese Lupike wrote:

Approach more photographers. Any photographer who thinks product shots don't need retouching is mistaken. Try the dpreview Lighting forum. A lot of studio types hang out there, and some do product work.

You're making a reasonable offer: The photographer gets some free editing, and you get something for your portfolio. Just ignore the hard-heads who are sure they can "get it right in the camera."

Apr 23 13 07:01 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Peano wrote:
Approach more photographersAny photographer who thinks product shots don't need retouching is mistaken. Try the dpreview Lighting forum. A lot of studio types hang out there, and some do product work.

You're making a reasonable offer: The photographer gets some free editing, and you get something for your portfolio. Just ignore the hard-heads who are sure they can "get it right in the camera."

Maybe the photographer does his own retouching and doesn't need a 3rd party.

Who said anything about right on camera and why that assumption? The way I read the OP I saw no mention of the photographer saying product shots don't need retouching maybe he just doesn't need the OP's services because he already has retouching covered.

Apr 23 13 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Photos by Zachery

Dallas, Texas, US

I always need retouching on my photos smile I'm not super amazing at it and I try and do it myself, but I'd rather help out someones portfolio while doing mine! smile

Apr 23 13 07:15 am Link

Retoucher

Agnese Freimane

Thanks guys, well i guess it was not the right photographer for my intentions, ill keep trying smile.

Apr 23 13 07:22 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Try putting out a casting call. Maybe you can find some photographers who want your services as opposed to just asking randomly.

Photography doesn't always pay the bills for all of us, sometimes parting with a little money to outsource services is a cut in pay.

Apr 23 13 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Lee K

Palatine, Illinois, US

What kind of product shots are you wanting to do?

Apr 23 13 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Agnese Lupike wrote:
...difficulties to find any kind of product raw images to retouch...

Agnese, by product I assume you mean commercial work i.e. work for hire...

From you profile

prefer to work on beauty images...

Have you considered who the potential prospects for this work might be? i.e. end users of such a product?  There in lays the challenge... The photographer typically has to convince a client that her/his work can meet and/or exceed the level of their expectations...

I have to do this repeatedly... it is not easy... The negotiations between a client and the photographer can be complex and highly involved... I seriously need to have control end to end otherwise it is likely that expectations will not be meet in a timely manner...

Also I rarely shot beauty now since it is a very limited market... when I do the client will oft reject my first renderings... Why do I render all my work? Because I don't find it expedient to be an intermediary between a consulting retoucher and the client... you, undoubtedly will feel that it isn't fair that you should have to go back a revise you work several times to gain closure... but unfortunately that comes with the territory in commercial work... unless you can exceed client expectations then you will fail as a commercial entity... period...

Bottom Line? Bring the client into the mix and you will have a wealth of photographers who will be more than happy to bid the job... I'm being honest here and sincerely trying to suggest a way forward that will be amenable to all parties involved...

Final thoughts? I don't shoot for a portfolio... at the commercial level a portfolio is already done... I shoot for a client... and use aforementioned work in my book... hope this makes sense...

btw, have you considered rendering family portraiture? just a thought...

All the best on your journey...

Apr 23 13 06:56 pm Link

Retoucher

Agnese Freimane

Lee K wrote:
What kind of product shots are you wanting to do?

Electronics, food, makeup, i want to try them all.

Apr 24 13 07:09 am Link

Retoucher

Agnese Freimane

to Thomas....

I have worked for stock photographers, retouched a book cover,and retouched images for photographer portfolios, so i know what it means to go back in the process to make changes the client wants.

Product images--- electronics, food, jewelery etc.

I always try to work with people who are on the same page with me. Sure i can adapt to peoples expectations of retouching an image, but if i am on the same page with a client it makes the process more easy and faster.
That s why i would like to make a bigger portfolio, so that people see my style and understand, is it what they're want our not.

Apr 24 13 07:18 am Link

Photographer

stephaneb

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Agnese is really good professional personne, one of my top beauty retoucher .. serious when she said yes , she do it..

Apr 25 13 12:33 am Link

Photographer

richy01

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Just try different photographers, there are plenty who want to work with you

Apr 25 13 08:49 pm Link