Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How do I style hair like this...

Photographer

Julie Nikota

Brantford, Ontario, Canada

I am a photographer and makeup artist.  I often style hair for my model shoots, as I am familiar with some techniques from going to a short course in hair school, but here is something I am not quite sure of...

I want to create a very tight curl/avant garde look (almost like a fro).
I was thinking that perm rods would do the trick (the model's hair is about collar bone length).  I am not sure if this is the way most hairstylists would do this, and I am also not sure of what products to use.  I have worked with the model before and her hair is medium texture and lots of it.  I am guessing this look would take me a couple of hours at least?

I am unfamiliar with posting photos on forums, or I would have.  Please help!  I really appreciate it!

Apr 23 13 10:48 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

to post an example, if you found it online, just provide the link to it.

If its an image you downloaded, upload it to a file sharing site like photobucket.com (free) and then post the link here

if you want to embed the photo into the post, you use the following

[img] link to the photo [/img

and then close the img tag again with one of these ]

Apr 23 13 01:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Aeni

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I'd plop a wig on her head unless you and the model are willing to spend a bit of time waiting to get the curlers on her, drying them, removing, and styling.

Apr 23 13 01:36 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Perm rods are a great way to go if your willing to wet set it and have the model sit under a hair dryer (if you could find one) for at least 40 min.  Then take a hair pick and go to town.  Product like a good hair gel works fine to set.  They also make a very small barreled spiral curling iron.  But that also is a bit time consuming.  R-

Apr 23 13 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Julie Nikota

Brantford, Ontario, Canada

These are examples....

http://www.ukhairdressers.com/style/hai … 7785/2.jpg

http://www.hji.co.uk/hjimages/images/qh … -curls.jpg

I would love to have a wig like this, but would have no idea where to start looking for one.  I am not sure if it's more about the curl or teasing in these styles.  I think the first link is more of what I want.

Apr 25 13 01:11 pm Link