Forums > Photography Talk > Anyone using the new Sigma 35mm Lens?

Photographer

OliverC

New York, New York, US

So, anyone using the new Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Lens?

I am more interested views from Nikon users (as I am using a D800)... but all views are welcome.

May 16 13 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

-fpc-

Boca Raton, Florida, US

had one for a while

nice lens, sharp, good OOF, or "boke"

too big/unbalanced for a street lens for me
I don't use 35mm for portrait/ model work usually
if I do, my little 35/2 non-d lens does just fine

in the end .sold it

May 16 13 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

gcedillo

Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico

I also shoot with a D800, got the lens and been using it mainly for street photo, on my camera focus was alright, no issues at all with it, maybe because its much cheaper than nikon glass, but I feel comfortable working street with it.

May 16 13 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

j3_photo

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I use Canon and will be getting this lens soon as I sell some other ones...I'll post to this thread asap.

May 16 13 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Gilchrist

South Bend, Indiana, US

I shoot Canon and I bought this lens after much research looking for a normal prime with a wide aperture that was sharp wide open. I have the 50/1.4, 50/1.8, a bunch of vintage Canon/Takumar/Nikon glass and was not happy with the wide performance of any of them.  The Sigma is, quite simply, amazing. If I were to have any complaints it would be that the front lens cap is difficult to attach.  This lens quickly became my favorite lens. Sharp wide open, creamy bokeh, very well built.

Then, the Canon 40/2.8 pancake went on sale on the Canon refurb site. With a shipped price under $100 I grabbed one to play with. Holy crap!  Small, super sharp.  The difference between it and the Sigma are 2 stops, about a pound of glass (maybe more), and $800.  IQ is stunning. I'm starting to question my purchase of the Sigma.

May 16 13 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

JC D Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I have this lens for a while (35mm 1.4L canon version on 5DMk2). Really good bokeh in a very tight places I used it to shoot boudoir and toddler indoor.  Will never sell it nor trade it is a sharp glass for what I need.

May 16 13 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

edltphoto

Duarte, California, US

Rented it for 3 weeks for my D600 and loved it. Can't wait to buy it. Here are some photos and my thoughts :

http://www.reignmediala.com/sigma-35mm- … iew-nikon/

May 18 13 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan South

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

edltphoto wrote:
Rented it for 3 weeks for my D600 and loved it. Can't wait to buy it. Here are some photos and my thoughts :

http://www.reignmediala.com/sigma-35mm- … iew-nikon/

nice, thanks.

May 18 13 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

PicBack wrote:
So, anyone using the new Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Lens?

I am more interested views from Nikon users (as I am using a D800)... but all views are welcome.

Pretty much my whole port is done with that Art Lens except head shots. It's fantastic is all I can say. I also use a 100mm macro lens and it's just as sharp but you do get richer colors and tones even in low light. I almost never take it off my 5D.  It doesn't have IS but I never seemed to need it.  It's by far the best lens I own, I really would recommend it for the price.

May 18 13 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Here it is in action (18+):
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32460221

Rivals my Zeiss 35/1.4 actually.

May 20 13 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Mike Troutt Photography

Mount Vernon, Illinois, US

I also use the D800.  I tried out the Sigma over the weekend along side a Nikon 28mm 1.8.  Needless to say the Nikon is now in my collection.  The Sigma was good. Nice and sharp with all the juicy out OOF parts you would expect.  But the Nikon was just way Sharper, hit focus faster without ever searching and the images were much warmer.  I actually had went into the shop to check out the Tamron 24-70 that is getting crazy good reviews.  I didn't like it at all.  I will stick with the 28 and my 50mm lens and use the 'ol feet to do my zooming in and out.  The Sharpness of the 28 prime beats all the other lens I own.  Even my Nikon 70-200 2.8.

May 20 13 07:46 pm Link