Forums > Critique > Honest Critique Please

Photographer

Matthew Gwinn

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

I'm new to MM and would like to get some honest critiques of my work. I tend to be my own worst critic, so I usually take good criticism with a grain of salt when it comes from people I know. It would be nice to get outside opinions.

Tell me what you think I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.

Should I get rid of the watermarks? I tried to keep them unobtrusive, but I've seen some other threads where people have real issues with watermarks period.

Anything that should definitely go? Anything that should definitely stay?

Also, is it better to have a profile picture of yourself or one of your shots? My current profile is me, but is obviously not my best work. I feel weird putting a picture of someone else there.

May 20 13 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Ezhini

Wichita, Kansas, US

Your studio images are promising. Looks like you have a decent understanding of lighting. Try and shoot more controlled ideas - as in, visualize an image first then try and make it. Not just set up  a certain lighting and start shooting hoping for some fun, exciting images to happen occasionally or accidentally. Let what appears on the final image and how they appear be your decision. Happy accidents are fun too. But, relying on accidents all the time cannot be that much fun - at least to me. smile

Your post processing effects are over the top. Try sublte.

Your logo/watermark is too distracting. The whole thing could be much simpler in design and font, and much smaller in size.

Since you ask,  yes, get rid of those watermarks. Or make them simpler and smaller, even 50% opacity.

Profile picture: Do what best represents you, your work and your attitude. After all, it is you and your skills that you are trying to market, if you are.

Best wishes.

May 20 13 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Matthew Gwinn

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Ezhini wrote:
Your studio images are promising. Looks like you have a decent understanding of lighting.

Thank you

Try and shoot more controlled ideas - as in, visualize an image first then try and make it. Not just set up  a certain lighting and start shooting hoping for some fun, exciting images to happen occasionally or accidentally.

Good advice. I sometimes have problems getting ideas from inside my head out in front of the camera, but I'm working on getting better at that.

Your post processing effects are over the top. Try sublte.

I recognize this as an issue, but I really like the clarity tool.  I admit, I sometimes abuse it. A few of the images are intentionally over processed, like the model in the yellow dress and one of the B&W ones where the model wanted a "glamor shot" style image.

Since you ask,  yes, get rid of those watermarks. Or make them simpler and smaller, even 50% opacity.

I'll probably get rid of them, but I'll wait to get more critiques to avoid confusion.

,Matt

May 20 13 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Trisha May Photography

Colchester, Connecticut, US

Tune down or get rid of your watermark, its way too distracting. I think you also need to tone down your editing.

Also, I think this photo would be great as a profile photo:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32634213

May 20 13 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Matthew Gwinn

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Ok, I removed all of the watermarks.
Anyone else have any input?

May 20 13 08:11 pm Link

Model

GingerMuse

STUDIO CITY, California, US

I think this is your best image:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32696788
I find the lighting to be most pleasing in this image and better than the b/w images.
Overall I feel your port says "amateur." I think studying natural outside and controlled indoor/outdoor lighting would be beneficial, as would learning some natural photoshop techniques to improve images in post. Also of course more experienced models with help as well.
Good luck. smile

May 20 13 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Matthew Gwinn

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Any more input?

May 22 13 10:05 pm Link