Forums > Photography Talk > model objects to watermark as implying model paid

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I still maintain that TF* sessions benefit photographers more.

ANY session, paid or not, TF* or not, working for a client or not, benefits the photographer more in terms of law. The legal position is quite clear. What you are questioning [espousing?] is much more of a philosophical issue. And it is something that others, at the Internet model and Internet photographer level, simply do not subscribe to.

On the other hand, moving two or three steps up the fashion / commercial photography food chain things are somewhat different.

Studio36

May 31 13 01:20 pm Link

Model

S. Stark

Los Angeles, California, US

Most every image I have, has a watermark on it.  Every image I use to promote myself, was done on a trade basis.

If I need a print, I ask. 

Watermarks don't even register to me, anymore.  I don't notice them on any quality person's work  They don't mean anything, other than that the photographer wants credit.

Jun 03 13 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

I realize that I'm in the minority, and I realize that most TF* photographers will shout me down, but even with your relatively generous position, I still maintain that TF* sessions benefit photographers more.

Really?

I'm a working commercial photographer. If I do a TF shoot, I expect to get no more than one image from it for my portfolio. I rarely shoot TF because it simply isn't worth my time.

A couple of years ago, I was contacted by an aspiring model to please do a TF shoot for her. Her boyfriend is a friend and he asked me if I would do the shoot as a favor. It was her first professional shoot and from it she got a half-dozen images for her portfolio. That first shoot got her on her way and she is now one of the most successful and popular models in Bangkok (and has worked on jobs for me).

That shoot didn't improve my skills or visibility with my clients or make me more income. It did improve her skills, her visibility, get her clients and make her money.

Who benefited more?

Jun 03 13 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Bottom Feeder Images

Portland, Oregon, US

studio36uk wrote:
A watermark, logo or copyright notice, or anything similar even just the name of the photographer [in the US] are now collectively called "copyright management information"

To the OP specifically, be careful with that model's objection because it's a warning sign and it will likely lead to them, or someone at their direction, removing the marks.

I would warn them in advance, and in writing not to do so. If they do you are fully within your rights to issue a DMCA take-down notice where ever you find one like that as well as chase them for money damages for doing so.

For ref see:  17 USC §§1202,1203

Bidness is bidness.

Studio36

This is a brilliant idea that will almost guarantee that no agency would touch these images with a 10 foot poll and the only value the model would get would be posting them on MM or Facebook.  I mean seriously tear sheets are so over rated.

Jun 04 13 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Miss Photog

VALLEY VILLAGE, California, US

M Pandolfo Photography wrote:
The question wasn't whether watermarks are desirable or appropriate. The question was whether a watermark conveys the form of compensation of the shoot...which is the most absurd thing I've heard on here in a while.

I swear, just when I think idiocy can't go any further...

+1
clearly that model doesn't know much about modeling.

Plus, as a model, I'd rather have people think I got paid for a shoot than did trade - haha
BUT; if she wants it for her printed portfolio, it would be nice to provide her with a non-watermarked image at least large enough to print an 8 x 10.

Jun 04 13 11:20 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Miss Photog wrote:
BUT; if she wants it for her printed portfolio, it would be nice to provide her with a non-watermarked image at least large enough to print an 8 x 10.

It would be nice to provide her with an actual physical print [or prints]. Providing model-directed-printing copies without an explicit and limited license is practically an invitation for the model to use them in ways not contemplated and beyond any implied license being granted.

Studio36

Jun 04 13 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

BIP

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I have never seen a good watermark and will never use them
There Is just not much point for them any more and when I see the all I think of is amateur photographers
I ask models to tag me in social media and bloggers to link images but when I see a water mark slapped across the middle of an image it screams beginner

Jun 04 13 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

BIP wrote:
I have never seen a good watermark and will never use them
There Is just not much point for them any more and when I see the all I think of is amateur photographers
I ask models to tag me in social media and bloggers to link images but when I see a water mark slapped across the middle of an image it screams beginner

You know what SCREAMS beginner to me?

"home studio"

Funny thing - I place a copyright notice on everything on mine that goes on the web except for photographs that client puts up and those are branded with the client's logo.

Compared to photographers who fail to do so, I have very little problem with image piracy.

As an example, the model that I mentioned above that I did the first shoot for?

She is constantly finding people using images of her (often for less than flattering purposes) taken by photographers who have failed to place any copyright notice or watermark on their photographs. The photos that I have taken of her (some of which have been published) are rarely pirated. Why? The only conclusion is that the copyright notice does deter piracy.

Jun 05 13 02:25 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

...  I have never seen a model's watermark -- why is that?

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110821/03/4e50d7f3cf3c7.jpg

Now you have.

Jun 05 13 02:33 am Link

Photographer

Ava Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Thanks for all of the responses.  Please allow me to summarize the discussion so far:

1. to the main issue, the consensus is that notion that a watermark implies
  that the photographer paid the models is generally not true;
   in fact, it generally implies that the model was NOT paid.

2. the consensus is that a model who believes that a watermark implies
   that the photographer paid the model is probably a newbie
   and lacks experience in the modeling field

3 for web port photos for TFP, photographers should put a watermark on the photo;
   for hard prints for TFP photographers should leave off the logo

4. (side issue) the consensus is that it is not common practice for photographers to give
   raw photos to models without compensation, and even less of a common practice
   for photographers to give raw photos to MUAs without compensation

5. (side issue) TFP photography can result in either watermarked
   or unwatermarked images being provided to the model(s).
   It is advisable to have a written agreement prior to the shoot
   covering watermarking and usage of photos provided to the model(s).

As an aside, the model who brought up the issue with me is male, not female.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Jun 12 13 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Bottom Feeder Images

Portland, Oregon, US

Ava Photography wrote:
Thanks for all of the responses.  Please allow me to summarize the discussion so far:

1. to the main issue, the consensus is that notion that a watermark implies
  that the photographer paid the models is generally not true;
   in fact, it generally implies that the model was NOT paid.

2. the consensus is that a model who believes that a watermark implies
   that the photographer paid the model is probably a newbie
   and lacks experience in the modeling field

3 for web port photos for TFP, photographers should put a watermark on the photo;
   for hard prints for TFP photographers should leave off the logo

4. (side issue) the consensus is that it is not common practice for photographers to give
   raw photos to models without compensation, and even less of a common practice
   for photographers to give raw photos to MUAs without compensation

5. (side issue) TFP photography can result in either watermarked
   or unwatermarked images being provided to the model(s).
   It is advisable to have a written agreement prior to the shoot
   covering watermarking and usage of photos provided to the model(s).

As an aside, the model who brought up the issue with me is male, not female.

Thanks again to all who responded.

You forgot agency general will not accept photos from models or photographers with watermarks..and number 5 unless you have a hard on for watermarks isn't necessary it why make it harder for the models to possibly submit photos to an agency.

Jun 12 13 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Gerhart

San Antonio, Texas, US

You are off base on 1..

A Watermark means nothing..

Paid models have watermarked images unless they are working for publication.

Jun 12 13 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Ava Photography wrote:
does a watermark (generally, or ever) imply that a model is paid?

the reason i ask is that i recently did an unpaid shoot.  After the shoot, watermarked photos were provided.  One (of several) models objected, stating as basis for the objection the implication to third parties that the photographer paid the models when that was not actually true in the case at hand.

That's absurd.  Never heard of such an implication.  I would guess it's an inexperienced/low information model.

Nothin' matters and what if it did?

Jun 12 13 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

ybfoto wrote:
You forgot agency general will not accept photos from models or photographers with watermarks..and number 5 unless you have a hard on for watermarks isn't necessary it why make it harder for the models to possibly submit photos to an agency.

Your agency won't accept images that are watermarked? Then pay for them! Get a license or buy the rights outright! I will SELL you whatever you need without watermarks.

Let's be absolutely clear on this point. Photography is a job and a business:  No watermarks? "Fuck you, pay me"

Why should I supply images un-watermarked, and you [model] probably want them free as well, so your AGENCY can make money?

Studio36

Jun 12 13 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Michael See Photography

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Watermark to me implies a copyright status, not if the model was paid or not.  Besides, if your doing a TF shoot then the trade is you get the copyright and they get to use in their portfolios.   That's the way I would work it.  So the model is getting a trade off which in itself is payment.  Otherwise they would have to shell out the cash to get a photographer to take photos of them to expand their portfolio etc.

Jun 12 13 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Model Mentor Studio

Saint Catharines-Niagara, Ontario, Canada

ArtistryImage wrote:

The individual can imbed copyright information within the file...
I always credit the full team...
If the photographer doesn't accept my request... so be it... I don't accept the job...

btw... tearsheets trump everything in a talent's book....
haven't seen many watermarked tearsheets recently...

enough said...

Tear sheets don't come from TF shoots (almost never) and you are referring to EXIF data which is stripped out by most websites on upload.

Jun 12 13 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

studio36uk wrote:
A watermark, logo or copyright notice, or anything similar even just the name of the photographer [in the US] are now collectively called "copyright management information"

To the OP specifically, be careful with that model's objection because it's a warning sign and it will likely lead to them, or someone at their direction, removing the marks.

I would warn them in advance, and in writing not to do so. If they do you are fully within your rights to issue a DMCA take-down notice where ever you find one like that as well as chase them for money damages for doing so.

For ref see:  17 USC §§1202,1203

Bidness is bidness.

You want a photographer to wave their right to be identified as the author and copyright owner and not to include appropriate copyright management information? Pay for the privilege. End of story.

Studio36

...and that's all there is to say on the subject of watermarks on images supplied as part of a TFP agreement or shared online 'for fun'.

Paying clients get what they pay for.

Jun 13 13 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Ava Photography

ybfoto wrote:

No, I did not forget it.  The larger scope beyond the immediate issue I posted extends to the agreement between the photographer and the model, which is covered in general by #5.  It is not the photographer's business to be concerned with the desires and needs of the model's agency any more than it is the photographer's business to be concerned with the desires and needs of the model's plumber or cable repair person.  For photographers who photograph TFP offering models watermarked photos,  models always have the choice to negotiate in advance of the shoot, including paying an additional fee for additional requests, or walking away.  IMHO, the primary purpose of TFP from the photographer's perspective is to advertise his or her skill via watermarks on the photographs and get new business.  Likewise, the primary purpose of TFP from the model's perspective is to demonstrate her model skills and give an idea of his or her appearance via the photographs and get new business.  The model's skill and appearance will show in the photograph whether or not a conventional unobtrusive watermark is present.

Jun 15 13 12:10 am Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

First of all. Watermark=very useful. I consider watermarking to be way to tacky on my shots, but puting small website link in the very bottom right is a great contact tool (also in EXIF).

Now, IF ANYONE has a problem with a "look" of your photos, then maybe they shouldn't hire next time, or maybe they should've checked your work before agreeing to cooperate. big_smile

You have EVERY RIGHT to put a stamp on the image if that is something that defines your work. :thumbs up:

As of asking for the RAW, I don't remember anyone asking me for a film negative, so this applies to RAW, you don't have to give out any.

In my experience when models start asking for all these things, it is because they believe they under-performed and are trying to get more from the shot then they gave into it.

There is no substitute for spirit.

Jun 15 13 03:14 am Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

Ava Photography wrote:

No, I did not forget it.  The larger scope beyond the immediate issue I posted extends to the agreement between the photographer and the model, which is covered in general by #5.  It is not the photographer's business to be concerned with the desires and needs of the model's agency any more than it is the photographer's business to be concerned with the desires and needs of the model's plumber or cable repair person.  For photographers who photograph TFP offering models watermarked photos,  models always have the choice to negotiate in advance of the shoot, including paying an additional fee for additional requests, or walking away.  IMHO, the primary purpose of TFP from the photographer's perspective is to advertise his or her skill via watermarks on the photographs and get new business.  Likewise, the primary purpose of TFP from the model's perspective is to demonstrate her model skills and give an idea of his or her appearance via the photographs and get new business.  The model's skill and appearance will show in the photograph whether or not a conventional unobtrusive watermark is present.

Exactly what I meant, when I said they must be unhappy with their own work, and can't cope with that.

And don't get me wrong, it might be that the images are great, and that they look great in them, and that images end up getting them more work, but they still don't like this or that for some reason.

Jun 15 13 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Bottom Feeder Images

Portland, Oregon, US

studio36uk wrote:

Your agency won't accept images that are watermarked? Then pay for them! Get a license or buy the rights outright! I will SELL you whatever you need without watermarks.

Let's be absolutely clear on this point. Photography is a job and a business:  No watermarks? "Fuck you, pay me"

Why should I supply images un-watermarked, and you [model] probably want them free as well, so your AGENCY can make money?

Studio36

LOL yeah good luck with that,

Jun 15 13 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

dp  Sorry

Jun 15 13 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I realize that I'm in the minority, and I realize that most TF* photographers will shout me down, but even with your relatively generous position, I still maintain that TF* sessions benefit photographers more.

Al Lock Photography wrote:
Really?

I'm a working commercial photographer. If I do a TF shoot, I expect to get no more than one image from it for my portfolio. I rarely shoot TF because it simply isn't worth my time.

A couple of years ago, I was contacted by an aspiring model to please do a TF shoot for her. Her boyfriend is a friend and he asked me if I would do the shoot as a favor. It was her first professional shoot and from it she got a half-dozen images for her portfolio. That first shoot got her on her way and she is now one of the most successful and popular models in Bangkok (and has worked on jobs for me).

That shoot didn't improve my skills or visibility with my clients or make me more income. It did improve her skills, her visibility, get her clients and make her money.

Who benefited more?

'Tain't my job to assess who benefited more.  If you & she are happy with your arrangement, more power to you (and it's none of my business).

But these pictures -- you still own the copyright.  You can profit from those images in the future, and she can't.

Jun 15 13 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Bottom Feeder Images

Portland, Oregon, US

Ava Photography wrote:

except for the fact the model's repairman isn't going to give you the possibility of tearsheet credits.

Jun 15 13 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Left Coast Creative

San Diego, California, US

Ava Photography wrote:

No.
No it does not.

Cheers!

Jun 15 13 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

ybfoto wrote:
LOL yeah good luck with that,

I have very good luck with that, thank you very much. The rest I don't care to work with anyway. I am not a charity.

Studio36

Jun 15 13 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

Plenty of things off MM end up on image boards and forums.  I know one of mine has, on a porn board. I had one picture end up on tumbler...just  stupid 'bokeh' photo of christmas lights off my flickr that ended up on about 30 tumblrs--even though I have all my pix all rights reserved.

Plenty of pictures that are really good nudes are put up on flickr with no watermarks and in full size...

Some people care that their pix are stolen, some dont. That's pretty much the bottom line.  It's easy enough to get the big size picture off flickr, ipernity, etc..anything that doesn't change it to flash, and even then you can get a good enough screen cap.

Jun 16 13 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Anything that's going on the web get's my watermark. If they want physical prints I'll reduce it to a small copyright notice. Otherwise the image will get stolen and scraped and might even end up being sold some how. Embedding info in the file does nothing to prevent image theft.

The only time I don't watermark is if I'm getting paid full rates and even then if it's going on the web I still one want a watermark or copyright notice as it will get stolen and passed around. But I also give them un-watermarked copies for offline use.

If you're getting paid for commercial work then that's a different story of course. And also what ever you agree and negotiate is possible. But letting your work out there without any watermark and no way to track who owns is just stupid and bad business.

I could care less if people think it ruins the image or you can't win POTD with a watermark. The point of the watermark is to RUIN the image so that it can't be used by someone else.

You don't like a watermark on your images well guess what your UN-watermarked images are probably on some site right now possibly even with that sites watermark on them from automated scraping software! Maybe even getting thousands of views with you getting ZERO credit for your work!

The cool thing is some clients and models want your watermark. I had one say she wanted it because she wanted me to get credit for my work.

Jun 17 13 04:40 am Link

Photographer

Jason Wood Photography

Concord, California, US

Cry Cry Cry, I pushed a button I did a crappy job editing your image and I now own them so bugger off! 

IMHO -  If you are "Trading" it should be equal rights to use the images with the photographer retaining the copyright. Blah Blah Blah. 

If a photographer doesn't want to share the images equally then the photographer should pay the model. Thus it's called Trade. Photographers are the biggest bunch of cheap arrogant ass's I have ever met. 

Like another poster said, get it understood before the shoot.  Even trade should have a contract.  Then there is no issue whatsoever and if a model thinks so little of herself that she lives only to promote the photographer and is willing to get a few poor quality images so be it. At least it is known ahead of time. And that doesn't mean showing a contract at the shoot but in advance. 

Now I know the OP and he is not out to screw over Models and to his question NO a watermark does not mean paid.  I hate watermarking my images I think it is tacky and takes away from the image. but again just me.

And I have been the subject of image theft - https://www.modelmayhem.com/3251548 is using an image of mine as his Avatar.  I am flattered but he could of stolen a better one.

Mar 18 14 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

JAH

Billingham, England, United Kingdom

DougBPhoto wrote:

craziest thing I've heard all day

+1 all it proves is the ownership of the copyright of the creator.

Mar 18 14 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Otaner

Ava Photography wrote:

the reason i ask is that i recently did an unpaid shoot.  After the shoot, watermarked photos were provided.  One (of several) models objected, stating as basis for the objection the implication to third parties that the photographer paid the models when that was not actually true in the case at hand.

[As an aside, an MUA for the model also made a last minute suggestion prior to the shoot that RAW images be provided for free.  I think this ground has already been covered in other discussions and the short answer is no unless it is a paid shoot and there is a sale and/or usage contract.]

I already readily acknowledge that a signed prior agreement is preferred to such post shoot discussions.

I have never heard of this implication before in several years of shooting models.  I have an opinion, but I want to doublecheck it with the community.

WaterMark has nothing to do with payment or any arrangement the photographer made with the model.....

Mar 18 14 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Ava Photography wrote:

[As an aside, an MUA for the model also made a last minute suggestion prior to the shoot that RAW images be provided for free.  I think this ground has already been covered in other discussions and the short answer is no unless it is a paid shoot and there is a sale and/or usage contract.]

I already readily acknowledge that a signed prior agreement is preferred to such post shoot discussions.

I have never heard of this implication before in several years of shooting models.  I have an opinion, but I want to doublecheck it with the community.

She's objecting to what it means, but not how it looks?

She's not being straight forward. She doesn't want watermarked images because they look terrible. She's just trying to rationalize something that doesn't need to be rationalized.

Mar 18 14 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

S-a-P

New York, New York, US

I would recommend to:

- Calmly explain your position (copyright, etc.) and your policies

- Tell her that she is welcome to use the watermarked photos online (I assume your watermark does not cover her face or is extreme (like a PROOF or DO NOT COPY thing)

- Tell her that she is welcome to use un-watermarked versions in her physical portfolio book.  Tell her that she may purchase these from you and offer to give her a few 8x10 prints for free as a gesture of goodwill.

Beyond that, if she still has an issue, then tell her you have explained your policies and don't waste your time further in arguing so...she can purchase individual commercial licenses per photo, which includes a high res, un-watermarked file per license for $xx per photo / license.

Mar 18 14 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

KeithD3

Saint Joseph, Missouri, US

I watermark ALL electronically delivered images from TF shoots.  It has nothing to do with who got paid by who.
If someone requests an image without a watermark for portfolio I will be happy to sell them a print that meets their needs.  I will also listen to anyone's needs for an unwatermarked file and base my decision on the information they give me. 
No one has a RIGHT to an unwatermarked file except me, unless you paid me for that right.

Mar 18 14 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Julian  W I L D E wrote:
The only thing a watermark means is that the photographer wants people to know WHO did the work and WHO owns copyright.

+1

Mar 18 14 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

M Pandolfo Photography wrote:
I swear, just when I think idiocy can't go any further...

Someone will prove you wrong smile

Mar 18 14 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Everyone note:  This is a zombie thread.  The people you are replying to are no longer participating in the thread.

Mar 18 14 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

ShotbyRon wrote:
I watermark anything that is TF basis. If a model wants an unmarked image, I am willing to provide a couple in most cases. It depends what the image will be used for and what our working relationship is. If a model wants all images returned without the watermark they better really be benefitting my portfolio or paying me for the time I put into it.

In most cases my shoots run about 3 hours. During that 3 hours both myself and the model are working. Once the shoot is over the model goes home, goes out for drinks, meets up with friends etc. Me on the other hand.. I get to go home and stare at a computer screen for another 5+ hours just to produce the images. And I don't like to keep people waiting, so I like to get them done as quickly as I can. The watermark lets people know who owns the copyright and it helps put my name out there. For the time I put into each shoot I think I deserve to advertise myself a little bit.

According to many models and some photographers, your added investment in equipment and time mean absolutely nothing.

Also (according to the above) you are working 3 hours and and the model is working 3 hours so everything is equal, therefore the model is getting ripped off because they are not getting a copy of everything shot.

Mar 18 14 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

studio36uk wrote:

ANY session, paid or not, TF* or not, working for a client or not, benefits the photographer more in terms of law. The legal position is quite clear. What you are questioning [espousing?] is much more of a philosophical issue. And it is something that others, at the Internet model and Internet photographer level, simply do not subscribe to.

On the other hand, moving two or three steps up the fashion / commercial photography food chain things are somewhat different.

Studio36

Could you expand on this?

Mar 18 14 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Take One Presents wrote:
And I have been the subject of image theft - https://www.modelmayhem.com/3251548 is using an image of mine as his Avatar.  I am flattered but he could of stolen a better one.

Nice to know you do not mind.

Thanking you in advance.

Mar 18 14 05:36 pm Link