Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Good movies on Netflix?

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

I'm new to Netflix and have it connected to my BluRay player and TV, but I noticed they have a really limited selection of movies available (I'm assuming the one that streams to your computer must have a wider selection).  I finally saw "The Machinist", which I was glad to find on there, but I'm having trouble finding any other good, lesser-known films. 

Anyone have any suggestion for those rare gems that never really caught on in the big screen market?  I like all types of films, as long as they're good quality. 

So, what are some of your favorites that ARE available on Netflix?

Jun 15 13 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

San Francisco, California, US

Go to the Korean section. Korea is the up and coming film industry of the world

Jun 15 13 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Try "Lo." Weird little flick.

Jun 15 13 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
I'm new to Netflix and have it connected to my BluRay player and TV, but I noticed they have a really limited selection of movies available (I'm assuming the one that streams to your computer must have a wider selection).  I finally saw "The Machinist", which I was glad to find on there, but I'm having trouble finding any other good, lesser-known films. 

Anyone have any suggestion for those rare gems that never really caught on in the big screen market?  I like all types of films, as long as they're good quality. 

So, what are some of your favorites that ARE available on Netflix?

I could easily be wrong (I have practice smile ) but I believe that what it streams to your online device is the same regardless of the device.

I can stream Netflix to my computer, or my PS3 or my Roku. I can see the same movies on all three.

I find the interface on my computer easier to navigate, so I tend to do my browsing there, and enter what I want to watch into my "queue" which is very easy to navigate on either my PS3 or Roku. Since I got the Roku, I rarely use the PS3, the Roku  is just on all the time, so I dont have to start up the PS3 to watch anything....

As for finding movies to watch--- I have gotten in the habit of just doing a direct search in Netflix--- I will peruse IMDB lists, Amazon lists, etc etc-- then see if a particular title is available to stream.

The catalog gets bigger all the time---more and more customers are doing this, and Netflix is competing with Amazon and others for your business.... all good for us as viewers.

I have been in a nostalgic mood of late, (I am 60+) and I am a Veteran, so the most recent "little film" I watched on Netflix was "Memorial Day". Not something everyone will find interesting or entertaining, but I liked it.

Jun 15 13 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Not a movie, but a TV show.. the last thing I couldn't stop watching was the Tudors. There was another thread where some said it reminded them too much of your typical Melrose Place pretty boy/girl show.. And I'll admit.. the first couple of episodes, that was my impression too. But I gave it a chance and couldn't put it down.

Not to mention, the chick who plays Anne Boleyn is probably the hottest chick I've ever seen on TV or in a movie.

Jun 15 13 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jeff, Who Lives at Home was decent. Had some good moments.

Jun 15 13 02:19 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Augustine

Los Angeles, California, US

Regardless of where it streams it seems limited, but it rotates.

The easiest way to search it for TV streaming is here:

http://www.instantwatcher.com

Some movies, like the Hansel & Gretel (2013) currently at position 6 are knockoffs of the ones you think they are.

Jun 15 13 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

So, if I go online and cue up movies I'd like to watch, will those be available on my TV as well?

Jun 15 13 03:41 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Augustine

Los Angeles, California, US

So, if I go online and cue up movies I'd like to watch, will those be available on my TV as well?

Yes.

Jun 15 13 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

If I add a movie or tv show to my "Instant Queue" either from my computer, my PS3 or Roku, it shows as available on all 3 devices.

Jun 15 13 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

I had Netflix for months.  It looked like they never added many new movies.  And the app would lock up on my player.  Then I went to Hulu.  The app was fine but they also were slow about adding new movies.  So I canceled both and watch Crackle and other freebies.

Jun 15 13 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

My favorite Netflix movie of all time... "Nude Nuns With Big Guns"

Freakin awesome!

Jun 15 13 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Designit - Edward Olson

West Hollywood, California, US

My Sony blu-ray only shows a limited selection in several categories, but I can use the search function to find anything.

On my Sony, the search function is under "options" and is kind of clunky, entering text with the number pad.

Jun 15 13 08:11 pm Link