Model

parisgrace

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

ok so i have several very obvious scars on my arms, top to bottom and i am gutted that theyve mad eme feel uncomfortable in myself. it was from my past and i do not want it to hold me back from my future - i am 100% okay now - went through some things. anyway, is it still possible for me to model? ive not had any shoots yet and i love the idea and would be devistated if it stopped me. anyone have the same experiences? im committed to getting my body at its best but the scars are the one thing i cant change

Jun 17 13 08:57 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Photoshop can cure most things smile

Most scarring is pretty easy to fix in PS and often doesn't even show much anyway if the scars are old and faded.

A brief, matter of fact note on your profile will be enough to discharge your responsibility for 'warning' photographers in advance. If they're concerned, they will ask about the scars and may ask to see an unretouched snapshot.

Lots of models have scars from self-harming as it seems to be a thing many young women go through. I wouldn't let it worry you unduly.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jun 17 13 09:03 am Link

Model

parisgrace

hi - thanks smile ive got it written on my profile, with an offer of sending a photo if needed before bookings (if i get any)

Jun 17 13 09:07 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

my last model got injured by a rope swing and has a huge rope burn scar on her arm. models are tomboys. stuff happens. unless you're someone who doesn't post-process, shouldn't be a big deal to remove a few bumps, bruises and scars.

it's great to have a model with perfect skin but to me that's not the most important thing.

Jun 17 13 09:10 am Link

Model

Erin Holmes

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Jun 17 13 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Ed Woodson Photography

Savannah, Georgia, US

parisgrace wrote:
ok so i have several very obvious scars on my arms, top to bottom and i am gutted that theyve mad eme feel uncomfortable in myself. it was from my past and i do not want it to hold me back from my future - i am 100% okay now - went through some things. anyway, is it still possible for me to model? ive not had any shoots yet and i love the idea and would be devistated if it stopped me. anyone have the same experiences? im committed to getting my body at its best but the scars are the one thing i cant change

You're not the first with this issue and I doubt you'll be the last.

I've worked with two young women who have/had similar issues.

Bottom Line:   Photoshop is your friend.  Just make your Photographers aware.

Jun 17 13 01:22 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

You can also use makeup to coverup your scars.

Jun 17 13 03:54 pm Link

Model

parisgrace

thanks for the replys - its my past u know and i would hate my future ruined by old problems

Jun 18 13 01:20 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

I have a few surgery scars up to 5 inches long.
Most Photographers Photoshop it out.

Jun 18 13 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I worked with an excellent model who has severe scarring all down one arm and parts of her torso from being hit by a car and going through its windshield.

The scars are apparent when she disrobes but hard to spot in photographs even before photoshop is considered.

Don't forget that photographs minimise such blemishes, not amplify them, simply because the photo is smaller than real life.

Message me if you want a link to the model's portfolio.

Jun 19 13 07:27 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I have a large scar on my arm from surgery. If I think it's going to be an issue on the shoot, I tell the photographer upfront. if I know my arms are going to be covered the whole shoot, I don't really mention it. Just be honest and have pictures ready of how it looks (which you have, great!) and you'll be fine smile

Jun 19 13 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Caveman Creations

Addison, Texas, US

I shot a model last Friday night, who had multiple scars on her arms, legs, stomach, etc. In most of the images, I just took them out. Was a bit of work, on her in particular, but I was able to take them out, and she was worth it. In one image in particular, I left them in. I can't publish this image just yet, but it looks as if she is "shedding" herself, coming up and out of her old self. The scars were perfect in that one. It really worked!

Don't feel alone. This may be more prevalent than you think, and may only hinder you slightly, and I doubt you will see or know a difference. Glad to hear you're ok now.

Jun 19 13 08:20 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Jun 19 13 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Some will care.....many won't.

If someone protests due to editing factors, they might not be folks you'd want to work with anyhow. (simple fix, but means they don't know how)

Jun 19 13 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Seal, Tina Fey, Harrison Ford, Nikki Taylor, just to mention a few models, musicians and actors with huge scars. There's even a Brazilian supermodel who has burn marks on her arms, I forget the name. It's really not much of a problem if the person commands an audience, has charisma or has character.

One of my best friends shot Armani lingerie after giving birth, the shot was done lying face down on a bed, her stretch marks weren't an issue. If you're wondering how Armani would book a mum for a lingerie shoot, she wasn't booked for her body, but her face which was less common and more unique.

When people are right for the job, all else is secondary.

Jun 19 13 08:46 am Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

I am not sure how much a liability it is. I think of Padma Lakshmi who has major scar http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow/en … rscars/2/.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCLg0ChDsGA

I imagine Tattoos could be a bigger issue.

Jun 20 13 02:19 pm Link

Model

Miss Rivera

Dallas, Texas, US

Hello hun,

I will like to say this:
1.) Don't put yourself down for something that happen in the pass, even if it's a scare.
2.) Photoshop does help.
3.) Build motivation because this business is all about that and self esteem.
4.) Don't worry about that, if you have no shoots in your area by July come to Texas we'll take care of you.
5.) You are beautiful :-) so know it and own it.

Well that's pretty much it,
Erika Rivera

Jun 20 13 09:31 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

parisgrace wrote:

Girl, I have the same scars on both of my arms and probably for the same reasons from my youth. You are not alone - there are many other girls here with similar scars.
There are several very good brands of makeup that you can use to not only cover the colouration but also the scar itself.

Jun 20 13 10:26 pm Link

Model

parisgrace

Ah hankyou all so much! Loved your reply. And you're right - they're part of me. I cant change them. So its just about acceptance. Im upfront when asked about shoots - and cant wait to get started. Thankyou all again xx

Jun 24 13 02:49 am Link

Model

Erica-rose

Phuket, Southern, Thailand

parisgrace wrote:

I have scars on my wrists too.. Never caused me a problem!!

Jun 24 13 03:04 am Link

Photographer

Barely StL

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Not all scars are easy to fix in Photoshop - especially if there are many and they are close together. Last year I shot a model who had cut scars on both upper arms and both inner thighs. (I knew that she had scars - but I did know that there were so many covering such large areas until the shoot.) There was no unscarred skin in the immediate vicinity or with the same texture to clone from. I was never able to do a satisfactory retouch job on them.

I'm not saying that this is the case with all scars - or that there isn't a retoucher who could have been more successful with them. I'm just sayin'...

Jun 24 13 03:31 am Link

Model

J O A N N E

Derby, England, United Kingdom

The same could be said with stretch marks, most models like myself have them and it's just part of life! I've never hidden them and am always honest when booking shoots, photoshop and clever lighting can hide them! Noone is perfect big_smile

Jun 24 13 03:50 am Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

Easy fix is to use them to your advantage and shoot some horror photos. Zombi movies are the rage right now.

Or come visit here I have a few catsuits that will fit you. The model Raven I worked with in my port is covered head to toe with tats. We shot twice, she put the white catsuit on and it changed her mind set completely to forget how they effected her thoughts and movements while modeling. It changed her for the better. 

Bottom line go for it who cares and worry not about the past, model your ass off. even the most perfect model wants to change some thing about them self.

Jun 24 13 04:02 am Link

Photographer

Barely StL

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Just Danielle wrote:
The same could be said with stretch marks, most models like myself have them and it's just part of life! I've never hidden them and am always honest when booking shoots, photoshop and clever lighting can hide them! Noone is perfect big_smile

Stretch marks were a pain for a while, too - but I found a way to make them disappear that has worked so far. It's kinda tedious but not difficult.

Jun 24 13 04:17 am Link

Model

Ruthie Rose

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

I'm just a noob, but having confidence seems to be the key! If a job is right for you it won't pass you by, and if not then good luck to whoever got it :-) I have scars too, plus a few clues left behind from when my son was born! But it hasn't stopped me getting out and networking my bum off to meet new people and have some fun with it. Who knows, there may even be some real paid work at the end of it, and if not.... Well, what better way to put those scars in your past than being able to look at a portfolio of yourself showing how confident and fabulous you are? :-D
Ru x

Jul 10 13 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

KellyKooperPhotography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

parisgrace wrote:

I recently shot a model with this very issue.

She didn't mention it so I didn't bring it up then and I edited them out in Photoshop. I did write a message to her when sending the edited photos to ask if she was ok as some looked quite recent and that made me concerned. She responded to say she was getting help but was grateful that I had cared enough to ask. 

However, if they had been old scars, I would have photoshopped them out and not said a word. Everyone has a past. Don't be ashamed. It's who you were back then. Be proud of the fact that you've come past it and don't let them or anything else hold you back.

Jul 10 13 07:50 pm Link

Model

Jade Marie Tacconi

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

I have very obvious scars on my arms, legs and back. I've never had a photographer have an issue with them. Im also looking to do a dark styled shoot where they could even be of help in the photo's.

Jul 10 13 07:58 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

I have scars on my thighs. I was really ashamed of them and asked a couple photographers to edit them out or made sure they weren't showing. Now, I don't really care and leave it up to them. I don't even mention it anymore and it hasn't been a problem.

Jul 11 13 11:07 pm Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

When I first started here there was a really well known model, Miss Anna Evans (she's not here anymore).

I know that she had scars but that didn't seem to really get in her way of doing very well for herself on here.

They are a part of your body now. Learn to accept them.
I don't think they will be that big of a hindrance of you getting shoots.

Jul 12 13 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Hank West 1

Haines City, Florida, US

Of course it's not everyone's cup of tea, but there are tons of photographers who love shooting people with scars. Especially those shooters with a more edgier style.  I think that you will be pleasantly surprised by the positive reception you'll get once you put yourself out there.  Everyone is beautiful in their own way.  Cheers, H

Jul 12 13 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Renato Alberto

San Francisco, California, US

parisgrace wrote:
thanks for the replys - its my past u know and i would hate my future ruined by old problems

I won't!
Just let the photographers know, it can be fixed in photoshop. For me, it would not bother me or stop me from working with you at all....smile

GO FOR IT!!!!!

Jul 12 13 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

That Italian Guy wrote:
Photoshop can cure most things smile

Most scarring is pretty easy to fix in PS and often doesn't even show much anyway if the scars are old and faded.

A brief, matter of fact note on your profile will be enough to discharge your responsibility for 'warning' photographers in advance. If they're concerned, they will ask about the scars and may ask to see an unretouched snapshot.

Lots of models have scars from self-harming as it seems to be a thing many young women go through. I wouldn't let it worry you unduly.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

What he said (again).
Lots of models I know have self-harming scars - some have even made it a selling-point...

Jul 13 13 02:57 am Link