Forums > Model Colloquy > Obvious, yet not so obvious advice for a newbie.

Model

Brandon Dinh

Orange, California, US

Hey everyone!

I've been here and there on Model Mayhem very recently after an approximate three year hiatus from a feeble first-attempt at modeling—I think I was just too young at the time to really appreciate it.  Anyways, I'm back and just as inexperienced as when I started, but I want to start on a clean slate again and I was wondering if anyone here had some useful tips for a lost duckling.  Maybe some theme suggestions that would match my characteristics? All I have at the moment are two self-portraits I uploaded within the past 24 hours and some extra spare time to kill.

I'm sure you guys get these kinds of threads all the time, but they just kind of drown somewhere far in the forums.

Thanks in advance for taking a look and/or helping out smile

P.S.  I'm not sure if this solely belongs in the 'Newbie' forums, or if it also qualifies to be here... Please don't chew me out!  Haha

Jun 21 13 01:47 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Brandon, I am not sure I can get too specific given that we are just in totally different situations, but I can give you some basic advice.

I would strong suggest browsing the ports of other models who you feel are of a similar type as you. Make note of poses, themes, etc that they are doing that you like. I would never recommend copying anyone else, but you can draw inspiration from them. Then you can share this inspiration with potential photographers. Also be sure to let them know you do not want to copy the images, but you do think they might be helpful inspiration.

Look for photographers within your area who shoot photos that you like. Contact them and ask if they might be interested in a TF shoot with you. Let them know that you have some ideas, but that you are open to their ideas as well.

Jun 21 13 11:29 am Link

Model

Brandon Dinh

Orange, California, US

Great advice... Perfect!  Thank you smile

Jun 21 13 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Miss Photog

VALLEY VILLAGE, California, US

Dekilah wrote:
Brandon, I am not sure I can get too specific given that we are just in totally different situations, but I can give you some basic advice.

I would strong suggest browsing the ports of other models who you feel are of a similar type as you. Make note of poses, themes, etc that they are doing that you like. I would never recommend copying anyone else, but you can draw inspiration from them. Then you can share this inspiration with potential photographers. Also be sure to let them know you do not want to copy the images, but you do think they might be helpful inspiration.

Look for photographers within your area who shoot photos that you like. Contact them and ask if they might be interested in a TF shoot with you. Let them know that you have some ideas, but that you are open to their ideas as well.

+1000
go through magazines too.
practice posing in the mirror.
if you have a friend who can take photos of you, try to take photos from every angle to see what your best angles are. don't trust that you are the only one who knows how you look good-sometimes a photographer will pick a photo you hate, but many others love. be open to trying poses and don't be afraid to look stupid.

Jun 21 13 01:19 pm Link

Model

Brandon Dinh

Orange, California, US

Yeah I've always had issues with not using pictures that the photographer highly suggests only because I don't like the way I look in it, but I'm going to trash that mentality and really put in more consideration towards other people's thoughts this time.  This is all great information, thank you! smile

Jun 21 13 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Silver Mirage

Plainview, Texas, US

Don't be afraid to approach quality photographers from the start. Often the best photographers are the ones most open to a newbie with potential -- and they will make you look good from the start. (Don't be afraid to look for TF either. Some of the best photos are made by photographers working to build their own portfolios.)

Do a zip code search for photographers in your area and message 4 or 5 who do good work you think would fit your look. Don't worry if most of them turn you down -- that's part of the business. Just keep going until you find one or two who appreciate your potential.

Jun 23 13 09:26 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Silver Mirage wrote:
Don't be afraid to approach quality photographers from the start. Often the best photographers are the ones most open to a newbie with potential -- and they will make you look good from the start. (Don't be afraid to look for TF either. Some of the best photos are made by photographers working to build their own portfolios.)

This is what completely helped my modeling and portfolio. A couple of quality photographers were willing to shoot with me. Not only were they willing to help a 'charity' case but they helped me grow in modeling and it was an education in professionalism on a shoot. It also changed my own eye in what I will allow in my portfolio or in what I look for in photographer's ports that I want to shoot with.

Jen

Jun 23 13 10:48 am Link

Model

Brandon Dinh

Orange, California, US

This is all really awesome help and motivation!  I'm going to continue looking around and hopefully I will find some willing photographers.  Thanks a ton smile!

Jun 24 13 12:40 am Link