Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Query with Frequency Sep

Photographer

Brock McFadzean

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Hi all,

First my query is if anyone has heard of this to even out skin tone whilst doing a frequency separation?

https://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n49/p3r10/WhiteTool_zps9cc46cd6.jpg

The idea is to use a two new blank layers between the high and low layers, you create a marquee on the top blank layer and fill it with white (you use this as a tool to see the issue). Move this white tool around over other problem areas that you can see.

On the very bottom blank layer (above the low layer) you do your retouching here.

The idea is with the White layer is to sample on this layer (where the tool is over the problem area), click the retouch layer below and use the healing brush (set to current and below) to retouch the image.

My second query is what are your desired ways of evening out skin tone?

Jul 10 13 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

To see the issue, you make the LOW smart object and then blur it. You can toggle blur on and of simply by clicky the eye icon, and you can always rasterize it.

Yes you can paint in between.

Jul 10 13 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

one good way to even out skin tone whether using frequency separation,
or not is a gradient map.

Jul 10 13 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Tulack

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I don't think you understand what frequency separation is. It's when you separate your image in two parts. Low, where is your color, and High, where is your texture. Your Low layer is your color. How white overlay would help you with that? Not talking if you sample current and below is the same as not having white overlay at all. And in what blend mode is your white layer? Soft light? What for? To fix color you use brush or blur.

Jul 10 13 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Brock McFadzean wrote:
The idea is with the White layer is to sample on this layer (where the tool is over the problem area), click the retouch layer below and use the healing brush (set to current and below) to retouch the image.

to see the problem areas more easily, I find a big 'S' curve adjustment layer,
set to overlay is a very effective help layer.

Jul 10 13 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Or black and white adjustment layer with "S" curve, so colors wouldn't distract you.

Jul 10 13 02:08 pm Link