Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > Very new to retouching!

Photographer

Mandy Daniels

Topeka, Kansas, US

I've been lurking a lot and learning things here and there. I'd really like to know what I can do to improve. There are some incredible artists here.

Photo by me:
https://i.imgur.com/MHutL11.jpg

I could also use some new friends on here. Thanks for looking!

Jul 12 13 05:04 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

Nice attempt!! :-)

For me it looks a bit overdone tho.. I will be a bit more careful with D&B as I think you have got rid of some facial expressions and it looks a bit retouched/flat!

The hair tones look a bit burnt and I prefer the originals without that hint of green they have at the moment.

I think overall if you calm down the skin retouching and mainly the eyes area, it should look more natural!!

Best

Javi

Jul 13 13 03:38 am Link

Photographer

Mandy Daniels

Topeka, Kansas, US

Thanks for replying!

I will watch the D&B especially on the naturally brighter parts of the face (chin, forehead). I am also trying to get used to using a tablet instead of my finger on the laptop.

Thanks for the comments, I will keep working at it.

I did this one in a different thread yesterday, I think it turned out better:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st18366998

Jul 13 13 01:17 pm Link

Digital Artist

RixDigital

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

Definitely look into more of the subtle details as well; e.g. individual hairs that go against the flow.

I've been immersing myself in Natalia Tafarrel's videos among other artists. I highly recommend Natalia's volume 2 beauty retouching DVD as it includes her Photoshop files so you can see in great detail how the image transformed over time. For me, that has been a great way to learn.

Also, don't have the link handy, but in one of the recent 'retouch skin' threads, there was a good video where at the end, the artist did a complete summary of all his steps. Not only did he show the mechanics of the steps, but explained the 'why' behind them.

Jul 31 13 02:54 pm Link

Retoucher

LarrySparks Photography

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

You can do it, put your back into it smile

Aug 07 13 02:36 am Link