Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Should I be insulted?

Makeup Artist

heylaady looks

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

**NOTE: I did a search of the topics and did not find anything, but if there is something like this I apologize**

Hello fellow MMers! I'm just staring out as MUA and really trying to get my foot in the door and gain experience, so when something come up in my area that's TF and I think I could do it, I will jump at it and apply for it (and b/c most established MUA aren't really interested in those jobs if they are well established, it can give me a chance).
Well a few days ago, a photographer posted a casting call and among the things she needed was a MUA for a fashion shoot she wanted to do for her photography assignment, for class, so like I said, I thought about it and said, well I could do that! so I applied..
I heard nothing for a while (no big deal) but then today I get a message from her asking if I could do work like this; and she then sent me a picture of multiple makeup jobs done by this one major makeup artist in my same city and very established.

It would be something else if she gave me broad examples of makeup, but I kinda feel weird that she asked me to mimic another artist in my same city.. I mean if she wanted his work, I feel like she should pay him for his work and then it can be authentic..
should I feel insulted or weird, or should I just say sure??

Aug 13 13 12:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KDM

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

heylaady looks wrote:

No, and yes. smile

Aug 13 13 01:13 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

heylaady looks wrote:
**NOTE: I did a search of the topics and did not find anything, but if there is something like this I apologize**

Hello fellow MMers! I'm just staring out as MUA and really trying to get my foot in the door and gain experience, so when something come up in my area that's TF and I think I could do it, I will jump at it and apply for it (and b/c most established MUA aren't really interested in those jobs if they are well established, it can give me a chance).
Well a few days ago, a photographer posted a casting call and among the things she needed was a MUA for a fashion shoot she wanted to do for her photography assignment, for class, so like I said, I thought about it and said, well I could do that! so I applied..
I heard nothing for a while (no big deal) but then today I get a message from her asking if I could do work like this; and she then sent me a picture of multiple makeup jobs done by this one major makeup artist in my same city and very established.

It would be something else if she gave me broad examples of makeup, but I kinda feel weird that she asked me to mimic another artist in my same city.. I mean if she wanted his work, I feel like she should pay him for his work and then it can be authentic..

Are you sure she's asking you to mimic the work of the other artist or is it possible that what she's questioning is whether or not you can do work of a similar quality? I ask because as you stated you're starting out and the individual whose work she sent you samples of is more established.

Before taking it upon yourself to make assumptions that she's trying to get you to mimic someone else's style how about asking her what she means by her message. It could be exactly what you think it means but it could also be something completely different and that should be what informs your choice.

Rather than feeling insulted or weird or saying "sure" to the job it's best that you have an explicit understanding of what she's asking.

Aug 13 13 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

heylaady looks wrote:
...most established MUA aren't really interested in those jobs if they are well established

Really? I collaborate with many accomplished teams in my market on test creatives... it is an excellent way to grow professionally as well as network with top industry players... recompense comes in many forms besides a negotiated fee... I have tears in my MUA book that are the result of creative testing...

heylaady looks wrote:
today I get a message from her asking if I could do work like this; and she then sent me a picture of multiple makeup jobs done by this one major makeup artist in my same city and very established.

First and foremost even on creative tests it is the AD who calls the narrative... if the aforementioned isn't in harmony with your visual statement then by all means tactfully decline simply stating that the narrative doesn't work for your book...

btw, I would be rather elated that the photographer had the foresight to provide you with concept imagery... this speaks well of her tenure within the industry...

heylaady looks wrote:
...I kinda feel weird that she asked me to mimic another artist in my same city...

Have you considered that possibly you are not yet ready to collaborate in a team environment? Egos are best divorced from any project least they compromise aggregate team synergy...

heylaady looks wrote:
authentic..

Only the photographer holds creative rights to any images gleaned from the project... Authenticity is hers and hers alone...

hope this helps...
all the best on your journey...

Aug 13 13 02:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

It is very standard for a photographer or AD/CD to send reference photos or a mood board before a shoot. This is so that you know exactly what they are asking you to do. It doesn't mean you don't have the freedom to interpret these things in your own style, it just means they are communicating so there is no confusion as to what is expected of you.

Ask any questions you have. Be as humble as possible and always expect the best from others and you will do far better in this industry.

Aug 13 13 06:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

heylaady looks

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Thank You all for your feedback, it never fails to come here for great advise smile
I will take your advise and ask her, and be happy to get out there!!

and just so you know its not an ego thing, its just that I would hate to offend someone in my small city (its not like Im in New York or something, its a small town in Michigan) who has made a name for himself by copying his looks he's worked very hard on, (these examples she gave me were looks he created personally to add to his port, so they weren't anyone else's ideas like a photographer) I would just hate to offend him if he seen my work as a knock off of his.. and I defiantly appreciated that I got a example as to where she wanted the looks to go, as anyone would!  And I know that established people work for TF projects all the time, I just didn't think they would jump at a chance to do a homework project for someones photography class, but each his own I always say!

Again thanks for taking the time to reply!! It was much needed ^_^
I will ask, just as I did here!!

Aug 13 13 06:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

heylaady looks wrote:

When you go to the hair salon... you take a photo from a magazine and tell your stylist... "I like this...can you do this for me?"  The stylist doesn't say... "go find the hairstylist that did this work".... He or she knows you aren't going to be able the afford or even get an appointment with that stylist...You're just showing them in picture form what you want.  That's all this photographer is doing... They perhaps can't afford this artist yet but he or she wants you to know where they're headed..and what they want

Aug 14 13 12:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

ha ha ha  this cracks me up
Had kind of a simular thing happen on a big job i got hired for

The director should me a few images of looks he wanted for this one commercial and a few of the images were of my friend Roshars work .................. so I hired Roshar to assist me ..... LMFAO!!!!!

Aug 14 13 02:53 am Link

Makeup Artist

Linda the makeup artist

Prague, Prague, Czech Republic

TheMakeupMan wrote:

The director should me a few images of looks he wanted for this one commercial and a few of the images were of my friend Roshars work .................. so I hired Roshar to assist me ..... LMFAO!!!!!

ROFL big_smile

To the OP: I think it is very commonplace to send pics like that. I would probably engage the photographer in a discussion, though, about the whole thing and the danger of appearing to plagiarize someone's body of work. Inspiration is okay, but be sure to put your twist on it to make sure you're not mimicking somebody else. Best of luck. smile

Aug 14 13 04:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

TheMakeupMan wrote:

That is effing awesome.

Aug 14 13 08:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

Linda the makeup artist

Prague, Prague, Czech Republic

I wanted to mention one more thing, about the insulted part.

We are the doormats of the industry. Seriously. Check your ego at the door or let go of it altogether and it will serve you best.

Aug 14 13 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Hall - Fine Art

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

Everybody wants something for nothing, including this photographer who wants you to re-create the look only a paid-for MUA in your town can provide...feel insulted I would be, but would make darn sure that when you take the job on you get a Release for use of images etc etc etc.

Aug 14 13 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

Glenn Hall - Fine Art wrote:
Everybody wants something for nothing, including this photographer who wants you to re-create the look only a paid-for MUA in your town can provide...feel insulted I would be, but would make darn sure that when you take the job on you get a Release for use of images etc etc etc.

Agreed.  If you feel you can do the job, say yes, but that you want a Release to use the photos. 

One thing to think about.  Can that photographer produce the photos given that the makeup is done like in the samples?  If the photos don't look like the samples, the photographer is going to blame you.

Aug 14 13 08:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtChaotik

Dayton, Ohio, US

TheMakeupMan wrote:

lol

Aug 16 13 08:25 pm Link

Model

Skyler Bleu

San Jose, California, US

That's completely rude considering the makeup artist lives in your city- she should stop being cheap then and pay him. Now if it was a makeup artist in the other side of your state then I wouldn't feel so offended.

Aug 21 13 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Cody Pedler Photography

San Diego, California, US

heylaady looks wrote:
Thank You all for your feedback, it never fails to come here for great advise smile
I will take your advise and ask her, and be happy to get out there!!

and just so you know its not an ego thing, its just that I would hate to offend someone in my small city (its not like Im in New York or something, its a small town in Michigan) who has made a name for himself by copying his looks he's worked very hard on, (these examples she gave me were looks he created personally to add to his port, so they weren't anyone else's ideas like a photographer) I would just hate to offend him if he seen my work as a knock off of his.. and I defiantly appreciated that I got a example as to where she wanted the looks to go, as anyone would!  And I know that established people work for TF projects all the time, I just didn't think they would jump at a chance to do a homework project for someones photography class, but each his own I always say!

Again thanks for taking the time to reply!! It was much needed ^_^
I will ask, just as I did here!!

If she is a student, and she is in the same small city you live in, she may be using his images because she is unfamiliar with other MUAs.  If it was a professional photographer, I might feel different, but I use inspiration photos whenever I am trying to put a team together for a shoot, some from very experienced photographers, not because I want to copy a look, but because they are roughly what I am looking for.

Aug 21 13 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

KDM wrote:

No, and yes. smile

+1

Aug 21 13 07:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

TheMakeupMan wrote:

Omg, I laughed at that, Anthony! Perfect!

Aug 21 13 10:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kim Y

Skyler Bleu wrote:
That's completely rude considering the makeup artist lives in your city- she should stop being cheap then and pay him. Now if it was a makeup artist in the other side of your state then I wouldn't feel so offended.

no you are wrong.

I get shown pics all the time... and I use other artists as examples to show photographers.

they are just showing examples of what they want. maybe thats all the photographer knows? maybe the photographer has never ever seen another mua in his/her life.

take the pic and put a spin on it and make it your own.

Aug 22 13 10:42 pm Link