Photographer

Visual Creations LV

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hello i am in my infancy in retouching. I have been learning technique thru youtube and recommendations here on MM. i was told in the Critiques forum that i should be posting here to get advice and opinions on my progress or maybe lack of progress. Im hoping to find out if I'm at least heading in the right direction.

the photo i would like you to look are the first two in my port. the first one is before the second is after.

Thank you for your time and your opinions.

Aug 24 13 11:54 am Link

Digital Artist

RixDigital

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

Only recently started myself, so will do my best here.

Note: been very disappointed myself with the extremely low traffic here. Was hoping to get more feedback especially when just starting out.

Anyhow, elements that jumped out for me:

Uneven tones in skin. A good method to visualize is to create two adjustment layers. One to desaturate fully and the other to decrease brightness and increase contrast. If employing D&B, you should then have an easier time. Tip from the pros is to switch back to the original version on occasion to validate all is well.

Seems to be a droplet under her chin. Unless that was done on purpose, I would remove as I find it distracting.

While I agreed with your choice on removing the more prominent structure along the horizon, you did so by cloning; there's now a complete duplicate of the other more faint structure. Do some further cloning to remove entirely or at least make it visually different.

Aug 24 13 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Looks like you've just increased the brightness.

Aug 24 13 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Visual Creations LV

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

RixDigital wrote:
Only recently started myself, so will do my best here.

Note: been very disappointed myself with the extremely low traffic here. Was hoping to get more feedback especially when just starting out.

Anyhow, elements that jumped out for me:

Uneven tones in skin. A good method to visualize is to create two adjustment layers. One to desaturate fully and the other to decrease brightness and increase contrast. If employing D&B, you should then have an easier time. Tip from the pros is to switch back to the original version on occasion to validate all is well.

Seems to be a droplet under her chin. Unless that was done on purpose, I would remove as I find it distracting.

While I agreed with your choice on removing the more prominent structure along the horizon, you did so by cloning; there's now a complete duplicate of the other more faint structure. Do some further cloning to remove entirely or at least make it visually different.

Thank you for your help.

i used the curves method for D&B. not sure I'm doing it right tho.

i agree i could have spent much more time on the back ground.

I seem to be having the hardest time with getting a smooth even tone on skin with out using some type of blur and making it look fake.

thank you again!!!

Aug 24 13 12:19 pm Link