Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > Need Ideas to Celebrate a Milestone Birthday

Model

Fine Wine

Orange, California, US

I have a big milestone birthday coming up in two weeks and I am looking for some suggestions of something fun to do. 

I really don't want to do a party at home because that is too much work before and after.

I am not really into spending big money for a caterer or at a hotel for a party because I would rather spend that money on a trip.   I LOVE to travel.

My mother is on hospice care and I have to work on my birthday so I can't travel anyplace.

So considering the above and that I live in So. Cal does anyone have any suggestions for some fun birthday activity?

Sep 05 13 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Galveston, Texas, US

Fine Wine wrote:
I have a big milestone birthday coming up in two weeks and I am looking for some suggestions of something fun to do. 

I really don't want to do a party at home because that is too much work before and after.

I am not really into spending big money for a caterer or at a hotel for a party because I would rather spend that money on a trip.   I LOVE to travel.

My mother is on hospice care and I have to work on my birthday so I can't travel anyplace.

So considering the above and that I live in So. Cal does anyone have any suggestions for some fun birthday activity?

I'm confussed. You said that you did't want to spend money on a hotel because you would rather travel then you said that you can't travel so is renting a room out of the question or not?

Sep 05 13 08:33 pm Link

Model

Fine Wine

Orange, California, US

MesmerEyes Photography wrote:

I'm confussed. You said that you did't want to spend money on a hotel because you would rather travel then you said that you can't travel so is renting a room out of the question or not?

I am not really into having a catered event at a hotel.  That is a big expense and I would rather save that money for later on when I can travel.  When I say travel I am talking about a 2 week long cruise at some international destination.  A trip may be many months away so I hate to have a milestone birthday go by and not really do anything fun or unique to celebrate.

Sep 05 13 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Galveston, Texas, US

Fine Wine wrote:

I am not really into having a catered event at a hotel.  That is a big expense and I would rather save that money for later on when I can travel.  When I say travel I am talking about a 2 week long cruise at some international destination.  A trip may be many months away so I hate to have a milestone birthday go by and not really do anything fun or unique to celebrate.

Ah, gotcha. Why not go out to a restaurnte/bar? Have a friend be your DD. That way you aren't paying for a room and you don't have to clean up afterwards.

Sep 05 13 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Sorry, I don't have any ideas, but congratulations in advance.

I'm not too many years behind you, not sure I want much done for that milestone.

Ultimately, just being around (or hearing from) good people that you enjoy and appreciate is a pretty good thing.

PS: Very sorry to hear about your mom, that sucks.

Sep 05 13 11:42 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

For me the greatest celebrations are those where I get to share some experience with others. Maybe a camping trip or a bike ride... something that people will remember beyond the day.

My 45th I spent on a fifteen day canoe trip in the wilderness of Canada.

The other thing you can do is honor yourself... choose one thing you want to let go... and let it go... then take one think you want to become...and get to work on it....

Like forgive someone and learn to play the guitar...

maybe you could play the guitar for the person you forgave?

Sep 06 13 04:50 am Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

Maybe you could treat yourself to a day at a spa...massage, beauty treatment, hair, etc. (or whatever things they offer...LOL.)

Mine is in one week, and it happens to reasonably coincide (the following weekend) with a recital by Renee Fleming with the Nashville Symphony and their season-opening gala.  I decided to treat myself to that, and to lavishing attention on myself for that weekend...gown, hair, nails, makeup.

It IS a milestone, and you should take full advantage! smile

Sep 06 13 06:33 am Link

Model

Fine Wine

Orange, California, US

Thanks all.

I do indeed plan to do something with some of my closest friends as things are better when you do have the people you love and care about around.

I am a member of the Glen Ivy Hot Spring spa so I do already do spa days whenever I can.

I am more of the princess type so camping to me is staying at a 3 star hotel.

Part of me is leaning toward going to a murder mystery dinner with friends.  I did that ages ago and it was fun and different.

The idea of learning to do something new is interesting.  My hubby hopes that would be to cook.  Cooking is far from a passion of mine. wink

Sep 06 13 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Laurence Moan

Huntington Beach, California, US

Catalina. For you it's free. Spend money on eating, drinking, snorkeling. Party hard and on the ride home you can puke over the side and no one will mind! WINNING!

http://www.catalinaexpress.com/birthday_promo.php

Sep 06 13 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

If you are close to your mom, why not spend it with her. Tell her all of the things that you might not have the chance to later on. Just a thought.

Sep 06 13 11:39 am Link

Model

Siddy Pain

Stratford, Taranaki, New Zealand

Dessert party! What better excuse to undo the belt buckle than a birthday and a make your own Sundae night smile

Sep 06 13 04:15 pm Link

Model

Fine Wine

Orange, California, US

Laurence Moan wrote:
Catalina. For you it's free. Spend money on eating, drinking, snorkeling. Party hard and on the ride home you can puke over the side and no one will mind! WINNING!

http://www.catalinaexpress.com/birthday_promo.php

Great idea.  I haven't been to Catalina in many years.  I have to work on the actual day of my birthday but still a good suggestion.

Lohkee wrote:
If you are close to your mom, why not spend it with her. Tell her all of the things that you might not have the chance to later on. Just a thought.

Thanks, that is a nice thought.  Unfortunately my mother has severe dementia and often doesn't know who I am. She isn't capable of having a basic conversation.  It is sad to see the severe decline of the person that she used to be.  I do try to spend time with her, but I hope to do something fun to celebrate.

Siddy Pain wrote:
Dessert party! What better excuse to undo the belt buckle than a birthday and a make your own Sundae night smile

Ice cream is my favorite food.  I was thinking about going to Farrell's.  I birthday is a fun excuse for an ice cream sundae.

Sep 06 13 08:29 pm Link

Model

Siddy Pain

Stratford, Taranaki, New Zealand

Fine Wine wrote:
Ice cream is my favorite food.  I was thinking about going to Farrell's.  I birthday is a fun excuse for an ice cream sundae.

I had to google what that is but it sounds awesome! Go on...... tongue

Sep 07 13 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Marc Damon

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

Skydiving! Hey, why not? Bush did it!

Sep 07 13 06:32 pm Link