Forums > Critique > i need to know !!!

Model

Spencer Leigh

Rockville, Maryland, US

i  would appreciate so much if i had a review on my profile. DO you think i have  a future as a career in modeling. if so what kind of model or what can i fix besides up my portfolio.
im 21 but i look like im 17 im 5'5 i weight between 103-105  italian irish.

Sep 17 13 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

wendy haigh

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

hi there,
if you are serious about modeling you really need to get together with a decent photographer.  This may mean you actually need to pay for some professional shots.  It would be unfair to really comment on your potential when many of your shots are out of focus, and very poorly excucuted.
Hope this helps.
Wendy

Sep 17 13 10:36 pm Link

Model

Spencer Leigh

Rockville, Maryland, US

wendy haigh wrote:
hi there,
if you are serious about modeling you really need to get together with a decent photographer.  This may mean you actually need to pay for some professional shots.  It would be unfair to really comment on your potential when many of your shots are out of focus, and very poorly excucuted.
Hope this helps.
Wendy

Thank you for your input every little thing helps. I do i agree with you. im just starting to get my feet wet in this industry and very excited to do so,

Sep 17 13 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Square Jaw Photography

Joshua Tree, California, US

Yes. You are very pretty. Problem is, most new models who are pretty think photoshoots just fall into their lap.

If you want to get serious, pay some photographers for some solid work. Go on TF shoots and get poses down, facial expressions, emotions. You have the same potiential as thousands of other models, most just think it's the photographers job to do the work!

You have a look that I like in my models, so I would compensate a shoot with you. Not by a huge amount, but for your time as well as give you the best shots.

Sep 18 13 06:16 am Link

Photographer

2Banounced

Grand Haven, Michigan, US

You have a hot look about you!  You definitely need to find a photographer that can at least get you in focus. 
Most of your poses looked "forced".  Looks like relaxing a bit, and get in front of the camera any chance you get would help.
I say with a little work you will have some nice shots!

Sep 18 13 07:23 am Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

OP: for starters let me share that you are going to get a million and one "opinions" on this site. I'm not sure what your goals are with modeling exactly, but from reading your bio it sounds like you are simply looking to dabble. If that is the case, take some time to experiment with a few shoots and have fun with it.

However, if you are interested in modeling as a potential career, I respectfully disagree with everyone above me that you should "go pay a photographer" to get quality shots. Instead of wasting your time, I would suggest to go directly to the gate keepers which are the commercial agencies (you won't make fashion with your stats unfortunately) to see if you have what it takes. Agencies will also tell you if you are wasting your time with modeling or not very quickly. There is potential with a commercial look for you, but again if you are simply dabbling in modeling, that is fine too.

Sep 18 13 07:45 am Link

Model

Spencer Leigh

Rockville, Maryland, US

Charlie-CNP wrote:
OP: for starters let me share that you are going to get a million and one "opinions" on this site. I'm not sure what your goals are with modeling exactly, but from reading your bio it sounds like you are simply looking to dabble. If that is the case, take some time to experiment with a few shoots and have fun with it.

However, if you are interested in modeling as a potential career, I respectfully disagree with everyone above me that you should "go pay a photographer" to get quality shots. Instead of wasting your time, I would suggest to go directly to the gate keepers which are the commercial agencies (you won't make fashion with your stats unfortunately) to see if you have what it takes. Agencies will also tell you if you are wasting your time with modeling or not very quickly. There is potential with a commercial look for you, but again if you are simply dabbling in modeling, that is fine too. [/quote

I really do appriacte all the coment from everyone and If I could I do want to make this my career. Im in my last year of school so i do want to graduate and just have the under my belt. like alot of people I was told I should model, when I had the chance I really loved it but I know that I need alot more expreince in front of the camera. The only thing im battle agaisnt is new enviorment I come off shy but me as a person im loud and talktive but if my comftzon weis alterd i get quiet and I dont want that to happen when I plan to do a shoot.

Sep 18 13 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Elle Leighton wrote:
i  would appreciate so much if i had a review on my profile.

1. It is breezy and lite, maybe too breezy. I might read a profile like this and think you don't sound serious and it might make me question your reliability.
2. I'm put off by spelling and grammatical mistakes and you probably have over a dozen of these. Some of your sentences don't make sense. In other words your profile could do with several rewrites until it is perfectly crafted which would show me, as your potential employer, that you've put some effort into it.
3. Your goal (last sentence) and most of your profile emphasizes what you want, why not tell me how you can help me get my needs met also.

Elle Leighton wrote:
DO you think i have  a future as a career in modeling.
if so what kind of model...

I'll simply say you have a good look and that this part of your OP was very well answered by DougBPhoto here: Career for Elle?

Elle Leighton wrote:
...or what can i fix besides up my portfolio.

This is a good example of how your writing comes off as rushed and clunky. I reread everything I write two- or three-times to make sure I'm communicating what it is I wish to communicate to help my reader understand. You might try the same thing.

To answer this part of your post, it is not so much a matter of "fix"ing as it is in learning. If I wanted to be a pianist, it is not that my playing is broken, it is that I simply have not yet learned the craft, theory and technique of it. Approach modelling as a new student.

I assume by "up your portfolio" you mean to raise the caliber of the work currently shown there. Great idea and covered by other posts. What else? Well, you can begin the work of becoming a great model by studying then trying out what you've learned. I've always thought watching every season of ANTM and filling a notebook with the things you learn each episode would be a good way to start. Others have their ideas, search threads out on learning to model and follow the best advice you see there. Google it.

Best of luck.

Sep 18 13 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

no chance- just have fun with it as a hobby.

Mark

Sep 21 13 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Elle Leighton wrote:
i  would appreciate so much if i had a review on my profile. DO you think i have  a future as a career in modeling. if so what kind of model or what can i fix besides up my portfolio.
im 21 but i look like im 17 im 5'5 i weight between 103-105  italian irish.

In order to have any type of modeling career you need to have professional images in your portfolio.  Most of the images in your portfolio are just blurry snapshots which will only cause people to dismiss you as a potential candidate for any possible work.  You can hire some pros to create images for you or you can do some trade work if you find some pros that are interested.

Sep 21 13 09:22 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

If you are serious, go for the big one. Google the most famous,
You will find out that they require NO PROSESSIONAL looking photos.
No make up, no hair styling, they want Polaroid's, iPhone, point and soot pictures.Head shots, upper body, full body.. They are pros and can see your potential.
Any agent wanting to charge you for a promt card etc... is out to rob you.

Sep 21 13 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Do you have a future as a career in modelling?  Probably not.

You are coming in late and short, so most agencies will turn you down.  Even starting young and tall, the proportion of hopefuls who make a reasonable living from modelling is vanishingly small.

Can you have some fun with modelling and accumulate some good photos in the process? Almost certainly, provided you are willing to make some effort.

Bio - gets a passing grade, but nothing more. Only about half of it is relevant, but it is fairly free of the BS banalities that airheads use, like "I live life the fullest", etc.

Your Stats - full marks.  You have filled them all in and they look plausible (as opposed to 104-year-olds with 10" waists, who do erotic but not nude)

Your portfolio - also gets a passing grade, but no more.  It is not necessary (and sometimes undesirable) to get fancy, expensive pro photos.  As someone who might be thinking about hiring you, I do not want to see how good a photographer can make you look and how cleverly he can conceal your physical and posing flaws - I want to see what you really look like and what you can do yourself.

The poses in your portfolio are only so-so, but, being new, I would make allowances there because there are plenty of "professional" photographers who can make a top class model look clumsy simply because they do not have a good eye.

However, you should definitely ditch the duck-face shot with your friend.  It creates an immature and childish impression and is the photo most likely to make me not want to work with you.

Overall, if you were interested in what I wanted to shoot, and provided that your communication was good (prompt and mature), I would work with you. I would not pay you, at least on the first shoot, because your portfolio suggests to me that I would have to spend a fair bit of time coaching you, and, even then you may or may not have the body awareness to produce good photos, so all the risk would be on my side.

I hope you enjoy your time on MM.

Sep 21 13 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Surreal Focus

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Elle Leighton wrote:
i  would appreciate so much if i had a review on my profile. DO you think i have  a future as a career in modeling.

If your goal is to make it a career where you could make money to live on - no, I am sorry but I don't think so. 

If you want to have some fun and maybe get a small job or two occasionally with some modest compensation (which you seem to have done), sure, there would be a future in that.

Sep 22 13 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Personal Photograph

Davenport, Iowa, US

I don't see anything that would distinguish you as America's next top model.  It all depends on what you expect to get out of modeling that will dictate what you'll need to put into it.

Sep 22 13 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

The only person's opinion that every matters is your own. 

I think you have a good look, memorable face, pretty.  Genre?   Experiment.....be sure to add to the list.....art, alternative, beauty, editorial, pinup, etc. 

Runway...probably not....but who cares, that doesn't pay crap anyways.

Sep 22 13 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Have fun with it, make some extra cash when you can get some paid work. I wouldn't suggest you rely on it as your only source of income. Even with all the stats if you had them, I would still suggest you not rely on it alone.

Sep 22 13 09:11 am Link

Makeup Artist

sweetcheekscouture

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
If you are serious, go for the big one. Google the most famous,
You will find out that they require NO PROSESSIONAL looking photos.
No make up, no hair styling, they want Polaroid's, iPhone, point and soot pictures.Head shots, upper body, full body.. They are pros and can see your potential.
Any agent wanting to charge you for a promt card etc... is out to rob you.

this is total bs

Polaroids are for fashion models and even fashion models are known to pay for tests and have expenses deducted from future earnings.

She doesn't have the stats for fashion.

I can list quite a few legit commercial agencies in my market that will require at least a professional headshot and if you want to do print a comp card too.

Sep 25 13 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Eyesso wrote:
The only person's opinion that every matters is your own. 

I think you have a good look, memorable face, pretty.  Genre?   Experiment.....be sure to add to the list.....art, alternative, beauty, editorial, pinup, etc. 

Runway...probably not....but who cares, that doesn't pay crap anyways.

STUPIDITY

ah the industry's opinion matters. Being self -delusional is not an asset in life

Sep 25 13 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Original Sin Photos

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

In my honest opinion I don't think your portfolio or your look at the moment will lead you to a career in modeling. Your portfolio overall is just confusing, all over the place and just makes me think "that is a shame".

You definitely need to increase the quality of your work by shooting with photogs who know what they are doing. Focus on a portfolio that has a smaller amount of very high quality photos that show you as opposed to a large portfolio that has so so quality pics.

Keep at it and you will get there.

Oct 04 13 09:06 am Link