Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Speak your mind or shut your mouth?

Retoucher

Greg K Retouching

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

When I first started, I blurred.

I'm not proud of it, but willing to admit it. I did maybe 3 or 4 pictures until someone called me on it, told me not to blur and showed me the massive difference.

I was new. Don't judge me. tongue

I know there's a long standing debate on whether people are aware of how bad it looks, doing it on purpose because it's easy, etc. I try to live by the "you do what you're going to do, I'll do what I'm going to do" method and even though I hate blurring, it really doesn't affect me so it's none of my business.

Part of me, however, wonders where I would be if that person wasn't pleasant and generous enough to lend me their advice without asking.

So when you guys see it do you let it pass, only give advice when asked or try and help anyone you encounter with a better tactic?

Nov 05 13 02:13 pm Link

Retoucher

Najan

Poitiers, Poitou-Charentes, France

Well, both. Give advice when needed if you wish, but otherwise you can't obviously seek every retoucher's portfolio around here and check if their standards are yours. Learning isn't an easy path. It wouldn't be interesting if it was. Mistakes have to be done. We need to learn from them, but there's a time for it. What you're seeking during the different stages of your leaning and experiences are different from your first steps to the last. So if you go and tell one person that what he is doing isn't what you're considering as the right way to do it, there's a possibility that he/she won't listen. Because it is not time for him/her to accept it. During your long learning and through your experiences, you learn techniques, but you also have to educate your sight and sense of quality.

Nov 05 13 02:55 pm Link

Retoucher

Greg K Retouching

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Najan wrote:
Well, both. Give advice when needed if you wish, but otherwise you can't obviously seek every retoucher's portfolio around here and check if their standards are yours. Learning isn't an easy path. It wouldn't be interesting if it was. Mistakes have to be done. We need to learn from them, but there's a time for it. What you're seeking during the different stages of your leaning and experiences are different from your first steps to the last. So if you go and tell one person that what he is doing isn't what you're considering as the right way to do it, there's a possibility that he/she won't listen. Because it is not time for him/her to accept it. During your long learning and through your experiences, you learn techniques, but you also have to educate your sight and sense of quality.

That was basically my opinion on it. I didn't want to come across as a fascist or elitist saying "this is the only way to do it" any time I come across it but I've seen a few people that use this method who are becoming frustrated because they've been declined by magazines/clients and can't figure out why.

I don't know them personally, so it could go either way really.

Side note: How on EARTH do you only list "some experience"? You are incredible.

Nov 05 13 03:05 pm Link