Forums > Critique > Fun and Games > Paid, Trade, or Pass?

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

New Bedford, Massachusetts, US

Everyone can play!

This is theoretical and based entirely on the Model Mayhem "world" - not any industry/commercial standard.

Models/MUA's/Stylists/Retouchers/Etc.: I will pretend I am looking for talent in what ever genre your portfolio/work leans to- not genres/looks I personally look for in seeking out new people to work with.

Photographers: I will imagine myself a male/female model on Model Mayhem that has "some experience" marked, and has a fairly strong portfolio, but is open to pay/trade the right photographer to build a stronger portfolio and gain experience. Essentially, I will pretend I am a model that has experience similar to what I feel my photographer experience level is.

Paid: I would consider paying you based on what the average rate is in my local area.

Trade: I would consider a trade shoot with you.

Pass: I do not feel working with you would be beneficial without you paying me- and I am not interested in paid work at this time.

I will offer some explanation for my decision.

Rules:

1. I will try to be unbiased to my personal tastes/leanings and judge your work based on the genre you shoot in and your overall quality, professionalism, and apparent ease of working with.

2. Double check to make sure you are wearing your big boy/big girl/big person pants before asking. This is all for fun- don't get butt hurt.

3. ANYONE can play! I will try my hardest to view your work from the perspective of someone who works in your genre.

GO!

Jan 02 14 11:09 am Link

Model

Not interested

Allison, Iowa, US

ready for Judgement day tongue

Jan 02 14 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Elementum wrote:
ready for Judgement day tongue

Well, iffn you are looking for a harsh Judgement I will likely disappoint you today!

I would do a trade shoot with you. Why? I do not feel your portfolio shows that you have the experience for paid work, but you have a unique look that would be wonderful to work with. What instantly draws me to you is your eyes/face- they are lovely in a way that is dark yet beautiful- and with the right concepts, lighting, and expressions could produce some images expressing a lot of personal strength and emotion. As per your scars- the majority of models I have worked with have some form of scars somewhere on their body. I am not anti-scars, and actually will not edit out any scars unless a model specifically requests that I do. I see them as part of makes a person unique and beautiful. As for being a "plus size" model- as you put it "beauty could be found in all sizes" so that's all that needs saying about that.

And, I have a weakness for working with artists! And I have long wanted to go to Bulgaria!

Jan 02 14 12:46 pm Link

Model

Not interested

Allison, Iowa, US

Well you just made my day. I really was not expecting such turn out. And if you some day be able to come to Bulgaria i would gladly do a trade with you ^^

Jan 02 14 01:26 pm Link

Model

Angie Marie

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm game :-)

Jan 02 14 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Angie Marie wrote:
I'm game :-)

I would shoot trade with you! You had me at "Muppet-esqe personality"

Jan 02 14 08:01 pm Link

Model

Beth Chambers

London, England, United Kingdom

Me please smile

Jan 03 14 01:10 pm Link

Model

Raychel Adams

Detroit, Michigan, US

I'm ready to be judged!

Jan 03 14 01:20 pm Link

Model

Celine Sophia

Santa Barbara, California, US

what will it be?

Jan 03 14 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Beth Chambers wrote:
Me please smile

Ahh- tricky as you have "Paid Assignments Only" marked on your profile!

There are a few images in your profile that would lead me to be comfortable paying you for a glamour styled pin up look if I were a  shooter in that genre.

I would try to pull some more varied expressions out of you. I do not feel that you do not have varied expression- just that I think you have more in you than what is represented in your portfolio. Meaning I think you probably have skills that are not totally coming through in your portfolio. Make sense?

If I were someone who shot genres outside of alternative glamour, I would probably be inclined to say trade shoot. So if glamour is the market  you are working toward you are well on the way- if you are looking to diversify and get paid for diverse genres, I would like to see strong representation of those genres in your portfolio before considering paying you.

Jan 04 14 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Raychel Adams wrote:
I'm ready to be judged!

Hi Raychel- for you I would say trade shoot. You note you are looking for trade in your profile, you are new, and you do not have many photos, so definitely would not consider paying you- but is is refreshing that you acknowledge all of that, and are open to gaining experience and building your portfolio via trade.

You have a unique look, that could play well into several genres- so I see the potential for a variety of concepts.

Your profile is informative in a helpful way- laying out what you are looking for, when you are available etc.

I hope that some creative and talented local photographers work with you- as with the right concepts and right photographer you could look amazing!

Jan 04 14 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Celine Sophia wrote:
what will it be?

It will be...

Trade. But, if I were a photographer looking to shoot a series involving dance themed concepts I would consider paying you, as it is obvious from your images that you can produce great dance images, and I would feel confident that you could produce consistent results.

Every model that I have worked with that has dance experience has been very easy to work with- great body/spacial awareness- and ability to gracefully move into poses.

But, with your looks you are versatile- so images outside of dance are easily visualized. So while part of me would want to go all with dance concepts (and would love to see your portfolio full of amazing dance images) I would consider you for shoots in other genres on a trade basis.

Jan 04 14 06:01 pm Link

Model

Amanda M Reid

Belchertown, Massachusetts, US

Go for it baby!

Edit - Ahh Lucid! I just realized that it's you! Well then, I think I might know the answer already tongue lol

Check you inbox, I'd love to catch up! It's been a while smile

Jan 04 14 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Forty-Six and 2

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I'm interested in your opinion smile

Jan 05 14 12:42 am Link

Model

Dana L Brown

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Interested! smile

Feb 03 14 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Henry Westheim

Taichung City, Taichung City, Taiwan

I'm in.  Thanks!  ^_^

Feb 03 14 02:56 am Link

Model

Ekaterina Danilchenko

Groningen, Groningen, Netherlands

Curious

Feb 03 14 03:15 am Link

Photographer

maneki

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I'm in. I'll run and get my big boy pants...

Feb 03 14 07:32 pm Link

Model

Jacey Calloway

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Judge me! I'd love to hear the brutal truth.

Feb 06 14 02:50 pm Link

Model

Linda mears

Cessnock, New South Wales, Australia

Interested big_smile

Feb 06 14 03:00 pm Link

Model

Rachel Love

Desert Hot Springs, California, US

I'm Interested! :-)

Feb 06 14 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Joseph William

Chicago, Illinois, US

Not many photographers playing...  Well I am interested in your opinion.

Feb 06 14 05:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BKellerman MUA

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I would like to know smile

Feb 10 14 06:43 am Link

Photographer

2M1 Fotograf

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

BKellerman MUA wrote:
I would like to know smile

Yes... for something like this