Forums > Newbie Forum > Paid Gig: Scam?

Model

TaylorAsire

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I received the following message from two different people:

Hello,
    There is an open photo shoot that have been set up by a cosmetics company for interested model, this shoot is a very big paid job. Contact the freelance agent that is in charge via the following email for more details: [email protected]

Does this seem like a scam? I'm currently investigating it, and I was just looking to see if anyone else had gotten the email and found anything out.

Thanks!

Mar 17 14 03:55 pm Link

Model

Aeonn

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I messaged them and messaged the studio they said it was going to be at and the studio replied and said it was definitely a scam

Mar 17 14 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jeramy

Bastrop, Texas, US

I would question any professional that used a hotmail,yahoo, gmail e-mail address.  Heck even my amateur butt owns my own domain.  I can tell you if a deal seems too good to be true it probably is.

My wife had an offer when we first moved to Texas to help relocate a company.  They sent her an "advance check" and asked her to make payments to other parties for purchases.  Naturally we refused and waited for the check to clear, imagine that it bounced.

Get contact numbers and cross reference.  The forums also have a great link on scammers and their methods.  Link is: https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=575330

Mar 17 14 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

#1 tip off clue that it's a scam: the grammar is definitely that of someone only semi-literate in English.

#2 tip off clue: it comes from a hotmail/etc. email domain.

#3 tip off clue (and this one proves it beyond all doubt): offer of ANY money to a new, untested model in support of a name-brand client. People with only half a brain cell do not hire untested models for major campaigns, and they most especially do not offer to pay them well. They DO pay models well, they just don't pay NEWBIES well.

#4 tip off clue: ANY mention of sending you money BEFORE the job is done. This is simply not done in the industry.

#5 tip off clue (and again, this is proof positive): any suggestion that they will send you more than you'll earn, so you can pay it forward to somebody else. Have YOU _EVER_ done that for anybody in your life? Are YOU so stupid as to trust someone you've never met before with YOUR money like that? I didn't think so.

Mar 17 14 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Nigerian Scam

Do not email them!
Do not reply!
Do not give personal info!
Report the original contacts to Mayhem through  Contact a Mod

Mar 17 14 07:51 pm Link