Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How long does it take you to prep a model?

Photographer

Bree C. Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I'm just curious.

Can I also get a range depending on the type of assignment? (e.g., natural look, glamor, ect)

Thank you.

May 06 14 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Most competent MUAs can do it in 20 to 30 minutes for a simple look to night time make-up. Beauty work and cover shots can be 15-60 minutes.

Some comprehensive beauty work takes up to 2-3 hours if the face needs prep, additional corrections and accessories. If you add hair color and styling, that may take more than 1/2 day.

Rush work 5-15 minutes.

May 06 14 01:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

While the answer depends upon the look desired, working conditions and the model, my personal averages can run around 20-25 for makeup at most, another 10-45 for hair depending on the style and what the model's hair is like. But if there's limited time and I have to I can bang out a beauty look in 25 for hair and makeup.

May 06 14 11:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BrianaDanielle

I can do full hair and makeup in 30-45 minutes. Sometimes it takes longer depending on models skin condition, the look asked for, etc, etc. I usually tell them an hour.

Though I am constantly asked to go slower when on big productions.

I was always rushed when I first started out.. newer photographers seem to want h/m done in 30 minutes.

A reasonable expectation is an hour for hair and makeup (with 2 people), hour and a half for one.

May 08 14 01:16 pm Link

Model

- Aina -

Redlands, California, US

The MUAs that I have worked with average about 45 minutes to an hour for my face doing basic makeup and a dash of color in the eyes. I much prefer to do my own face because of these experiences. I cannot say all of my experiences have been less than pleasing, but when I can do better after NOT going to beauty school, I tend to wonder.

With this said, I do not doubt the competency of any of the MUAs I have not worked with. I simply state the my limited experience tends to make me wary.

I can do a full face in about 20 minutes, longer if the look is more complicated, of course.

May 14 14 03:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Darrick Law

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Makeup Hair by Dani B wrote:
While the answer depends upon the look desired, working conditions and the model, my personal averages can run around 20-25 for makeup at most, another 10-45 for hair depending on the style and what the model's hair is like. But if there's limited time and I have to I can bang out a beauty look in 25 for hair and makeup.

Same for me

May 23 14 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Natural Body Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Perfect timing for this thread OP; I was just about to ask this.  In the past five years, I usually did not use make up and hair pros in the past because I really liked a just-out-of-bed or just-out-of-the-shower look, and I felt that valuable time was taken up when I did have an artist.  I am becoming more of a believer in the use of a mua-hair pro as I am beginning pursue paid work: most paying clients, the models and viewers like it when Nature gets a little help.  I also like how the models enjoy being pampered and really are more relaxed and get into the shoot, with the extra service.  I wasn't sure what amount of time is normal.
Not to hijack the thread, I will say this... We are all on Model mayhem to increase the number of shoot job opportunities; based on my experience and what I see, make up artist will get more work if they make their value more obvious to the photographers.  The money flows from or thru us.

May 26 14 05:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

SKINQUEENLIVES

Dallas, Texas, US

I did MU for a wedding and avg 30 mins per person. Took me 4 working hours to get through 8 ladies and this included the bride and full lashes on all. If I am doing a Glamour shoot and its just one person I will go a little slower @45 mins

Jun 06 14 02:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shirley Compaore

Dallas, Texas, US

Depending on the look, I can bang it out in 20-30 mins, I've been working on my speed and being mindful of that has helped. I'm almost inclined to bring a timer lol

Jun 17 14 03:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Neon Velvet

London, England, United Kingdom

30 minutes for a simple look and 45-1 hour for more complicated looks.

Jun 18 14 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Barry Druxman

With hair and makeup, my stylists usually take between 2-2 1/2 hours

Jun 18 14 08:01 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Barry Druxman wrote:
With hair and makeup, my stylists usually take between 2-2 1/2 hours

Yes. For fashion people I work with don't bang it out in thirty minutes as you may do in a wedding. Fashion makeup is often complex and so is the hair. For the last shoot which was simple in terms of loo an hour and half. The makeup had to survive outdoor conditions.

Jun 18 14 08:13 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

About 2 hours for hair & makeup

I don't like rushing through stuff  as I am a perfectionist. When I work with other makeup artist I want them to take their time to create a flawless look and not just rushed through it and give me something half assed.

Jun 18 14 08:26 am Link

Photographer

JONATHAN RICHARD

New York, New York, US

For self promotion projects, I control the resources and time for the look, makeup and hair to be created for the shoot , and as such can work with extended time  into an hour or more if need be .( yet the call time for hair n make-up  is often very early morning of the shoot day) .

If it is client shoot, or location work, and the make-up /hair is booked thru my services, then my team is got to be on game and produce results with time constraints between sets. 

Open ended creative time often works against a shoots budget for many a reason or  for the use of a locations natural lighting .
And as I have found will contribute to the loss of scope of the original shoot.   

This can some times works toward a successful shoot and happy client, yet I have experienced clients who only add delay to the shoot schedule with on the fly creative suggestions and then find they are not enjoying the results.

Jun 18 14 10:58 am Link