Forums > Events > Austin, Texas - Meet & Greet

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Austin-area Meet & Greet

This is an on-going thread for the Austin-area M&G.  It is a chance to meet and network with photographers, models and others in the field.  There is no fee or anything to join.  Just a chance to meet each other.

Meetings are generally held the third Saturday every other month (odd numbered months) in the early afternoon in a central location.

I will post specific information on the next meeting shortly.

May 07 14 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Austin area Meet & Greet:

——Saturday the 17th at 1:30 pm. 
——BJ's Brewhouse at the Arbor Walk right off Mopac (and close to 183)
           ( http://www.bjsrestaurants.com/locations … arbor-walk )

It is a chance to meet and network with photographers, models and others in the field.  There is no fee or anything to join.  Just a chance to meet each other.

Right now it looks like about twenty will be there.    Please let me know if you are interested so I can give the restaurant a rough head count.

May 08 14 07:44 am Link

Photographer

The Grand Artist

Fort Worth, Texas, US

wish we had this in Dallas

May 10 14 06:34 am Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

The Grand Artist wrote:
wish we had this in Dallas

Just set one up.  Anyone can do it.  First, just make sure there isn't a group in your area.  Then decide how wide an area you want to include and if you want to make it open to all or just a photographers group. 

Then the fun part.   Ha, ha.  The lots of work part.  What I did was to send out thirty messages to members i "knew" though MM.  Asked them if they were interested and if so what times and rough location would work for them.   Eight of us met the first time.  Had a good time and discussed where we wanted to go from there.

Then the real work.  I wanted to start with a manageable size for a restaurant so I decide to keep the group to about 30.  To get that I ended up sending out around 200 invites.  There are around 600 in the area so I set the browser to show me those with the most recent activity.  Unfortunately each time you do another search the group change.  I didn't catch that to start with and lost a whole set of 40 tabs I had saved.  Also for still unknown reasons the searches aren't 100% accurate.  I know I missed people but that's the best you can do. 

Just pick the size you want and go from there.  Ask those folks to tell their friends and to let them know they weren't excluded on purpose.

I'll expand this group as we go and try to catch new members and those that show recent activity that I have missed before.  Still won't be perfect but hopefully with others telling their friends and this tread we'll get the word out.

May 12 14 07:31 am Link

Photographer

The Grand Artist

Fort Worth, Texas, US

I will give it a go and see what happens. Seems like everyone in Dallas in interested in hosting $200 nude workshops. Not really my cup of tea.

May 12 14 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Everyone wants to make money but if you are willing to put in the time an area M&G is a great idea.  Some of them even set up group shots occasionally. 

If you have any questions let me know.

May 14 14 06:59 am Link

Model

Ugly Shyla

Austin, Texas, US

How do we find out about the meet and greets,by just following the threads?
Thanks
Ugly Shyla

May 16 14 12:54 am Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Ugly Shyla wrote:
How do we find out about the meet and greets,by just following the threads?
Thanks
Ugly Shyla

That will work.  I'll keep this thread updated.  I did also just send you a pm.

May 16 14 07:30 am Link

Model

druidess

Houston, Texas, US

Wish we had this in Houston.
Wish I lived in Austin, rather than just going once a month to visit family.
Wish I won the lottery.

Aug 04 14 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

druidess  wrote:
Wish I lived in Austin, rather than just going once a month to visit family.
Wish I won the lottery.

Takes a lot of work and the group goes up and down in size. 

Yeh, I wouldn't mind winning the lottery either.  Of course I'd have to play to win.

Aug 15 14 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Vindictive Images

Houston, Texas, US

druidess  wrote:

They exist in Houston. Lookup meetup.com.

Sep 10 14 10:37 pm Link