Forums > General Industry > Agency Scam?

Model

Miles Arcan

New York, New York, US

I recently auditioned for a modeling agency by the name of Heartland Model Agency.

The casting director was Jorgen Jorgensen (which was kind of a yellow flag right there). I auditioned for them and did a walk and they contacted me a couple of days ago so meet up and discuss signing with them.

I told them I wasn't too sure right off the bat because they told me I would have to take a mandatory class once a month or something like that for $20, and I would need to do a startup package for like $150 for the comp cards and things like that.

Long story short is they wanted an upfront charge. However, I can look up their website and facebook page so it's not like it's one of the usual no name agency scams.

Has anyone heard of heartland agency? I could probably pay the fees, I just don't want them making off with it without getting any work from it.

Jun 11 14 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

tell them to take the money out of the first paycheck they pay you for the jobs they get you?
Just a thought. hehe smile

Jun 11 14 07:05 pm Link

Model

MissKatieMarie

Sarasota, Florida, US

There's a lot of "agencies" out there that claim you have to pay them for "classes" and whatnot. While they're technically agencies, I wouldn't ever sign with one like that. An agency should never ask you for money upfront, they make their money off of getting you jobs and taking a percentage of that.

Jun 14 14 06:48 pm Link

Model

Sandra Vixen

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

In most places, any entity that asks you to pay them any amount of money for work is illegal.

Avoid.

Jun 16 14 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

It's an MM fallacy that models don't have to pay to be represented by an agency.  If an agency had to pay for things like comp cards and books for every model they signed up then that agency would soon go bust.

A model should expect to pay for things like comp cards and other items, and they need to be approved by the agency to make sure the items are of a high enough standard.  BUT the agency shouldn't insist that a model buy those things from that agency, nor should the agency insist that the model works only with the agency photographer, or takes modelling 'lessons' from the agency, or take part in other courses, which a model has to pay for as a condition of representation.

Jun 16 14 03:31 am Link

Model

shayedwards

New York, New York, US

MissKatieMarie wrote:
There's a lot of "agencies" out there that claim you have to pay them for "classes" and whatnot. While they're technically agencies, I wouldn't ever sign with one like that. An agency should never ask you for money upfront, they make their money off of getting you jobs and taking a percentage of that.

My daughters resume exploded after signing with Heartland. (this is her profile, I manage it) Nothing is free in this world. He has the models pay the photographer, their comp cards etc. $150.00 is nothing compared to some other agencies out there. I would not jump to say you would not sign with an agency like that without having all the facts straight. The classes are taught by a professional instructor, I know that walking on the runway is hard work and to do it right takes practice and training. These fashion shows give you the exposure you need to build your resume, brand and career. You want to look right when you walk the runway during a show. Every single show my daughter has done has got her more work from agencies looking for models and other designers watching her walk down the runway, modeling the clothes properly makes her in demand. She can barely keep up with all the work she has been getting. Good Luck to you in your career!

Dec 03 14 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

There's a local 'agency' here that charges models to be signed, just keep in mind there's basically no industry here as it is.  The two that I know that signed with them have gotten 0 work paid/published or otherwise as a result.  They were also both not really standard when it comes to when you think of agency models, one was on the short side at 5'6'' and the other was being told she could do runway and wasn't nearly in good enough shape.  They've been with the agency at least 2-3 years. 

My point being while legitimate agencies make their money by booking shoots for models often these type of agencies make their money by simply getting people to sign and then from there they don't really have much invested in the models success.  There are costs that come with being signed to an agency but often those that say you need to pay them be signed or pay for 'lessons' are a scam, at least in my opinion.  Maybe talk to some of the other models signed with them and ask what their feelings are.

http://www.backstage.com/advice-for-act … ling-scam/

Dec 03 14 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Miles Arcan wrote:
I recently auditioned for a modeling agency by the name of Heartland Model Agency.

The casting director was Jorgen Jorgensen (which was kind of a yellow flag right there). I auditioned for them and did a walk and they contacted me a couple of days ago so meet up and discuss signing with them.

I told them I wasn't too sure right off the bat because they told me I would have to take a mandatory class once a month or something like that for $20, and I would need to do a startup package for like $150 for the comp cards and things like that.

Long story short is they wanted an upfront charge. However, I can look up their website and facebook page so it's not like it's one of the usual no name agency scams.

Has anyone heard of heartland agency? I could probably pay the fees, I just don't want them making off with it without getting any work from it.

Dec 03 14 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Miles Arcan wrote:
I recently auditioned for a modeling agency by the name of Heartland Model Agency...

Miles I noticed on their commercial web portal they are look for

AVAILABLE JOBS AT HEARTLAND

NEW YORK, USA
Makeup Artists wanted!

I'm a commercial makeup artist and while I book gigs through NYC agencies they are typically for editorial portraiture (the talent in their business setting) or corporate video...

The fact they are recruiting for a makeup artist screams "Portfolio Mill" in my humble estimation...

There are agencies with MUA's on their stylist boards but I've never seen them on as staff members... hope this makes sense...

Dec 03 14 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Alex Mock

New York, New York, US

well ive worked with a very famous international model agency, and models r responsible to pay their compcards and to have their pics n the online site..

Jan 01 15 01:14 am Link