Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > What to bring to a first-time shoot??

Makeup Artist

JenniDoesMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

I will be doing my first photo shoot on location. As a new working artist, My kit is pretty solid but not comprehensive and am wondering what else does the MUA bring to the shoot. Would my makeup bag be sufficient or do I need to lug a huge suitcase, chair, lights, etc? What is expected of the MUA? All tips and pointers appreciated

Jun 18 14 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

For location work I advise the following. A portable battery. Lithium is good. You want to be able to power your tools. The chair is very good as providing a comfortable atmosphere for a model is vital. If you power up a light when necessary so you can work comfortably that is very practical. On a dune shoot I did hair and makeup was completed in a large tent.

Jun 18 14 09:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

All artists are constantly adding to, improving and editing their kits. I am still always actively doing this 20 years in, so don't feel self-conscious about it.smile

I tell my assistants who are still building their first kits to not worry about how much they have and get caught up in worrying that they might not have something they find they need on set. Instead, imagine worst case scenarios and think about how you could use what you have in your kit already to create what you need. When you do invest in new products, buy quality items that serve multiple purposes. My rule of thumb is that for me to invest in a product it must be usable for at least 3 different things.

As for this shoot, if you already have a good basic kit (which it sounds like you do) then some things you might already have around the house or find at the dollar store it's good to have on hand are: tampons, band-aids, double-stick tape, zip baggies, scotch tape, safety pins, scissors, needle & thread, empty plastic grocery bags, wet wipes. There are threads you can search for listing ideas.

There will be no expectations that you show up with lights, chairs, etc. Those things are for your convenience and the comfort of the talent. They are not requirements. If you can't afford lights, ask if there's one you can use in the studio or just go to the nearest window. I've done makeup sitting on the floor, standing, and even with the model's head on a towel in my lap while I sit cross legged on the floor. Even at high end shoots these things happen. Some models are more comfortable lying down or sitting on the floor and I'm fine with that if it means they go into the shoot relaxed and ready to work. No one will think less of you for it.

I think it is so important for newbies to embrace that they are green. It's nothing to be embarrassed about, apologize for, or hide. Anyone who expects you to have lots of equipment off the bat isn't a true professional or isn't behaving professionally, so don't sweat it.

Best of luck to you and congrats on your first shoot!

Jun 18 14 10:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Caroline Madison Mua

Paris, Île-de-France, France

A bag would be more practical.

Bring what you need if you already know the kind of makeup you are going to do.

I always ask for a picture of the model first and check what type of fondation etc I will use for her. No need to bring your 20 foundations and powders for instance. )

Good luck !

Jun 19 14 01:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Janine

San Francisco, California, US

...Don't really know why a battery would be vital. I'm under the assumption that it's not an evening shoot.

A decently sized makeup bag would be your best bet. I typically will bring that if I'm not entirely certain as to what the set up will be like. I've worked in locations without tables/outdoors...so this is a simple way to work out of your bag. I like to use something similar to this:

http://www.naimies.com/featured-product … clear.html

I holds a ton of products and can be tossed over your shoulder for easy traveling, which is important if you're going to be working remotely. I wouldn't recommend bringing a full on suitcase, there's no need. A chair is always nice to have, but again not required.

As far as expectations. I typically will ask whoever I am working with the following questions:

-Date and time of the shoot.
-If they'd like me to stay during the entirety of the shoot or leave after makeup (this is common if you're working on a nude set for a private non model client).
-Location: Indoors, outdoor, etc. This will help you determine if you need a chair or not.
-Number of looks
-If the model is in need of light hair services

I guess my tips would be:
-Get business cards. Moo and Zazzle have really fantastic ones.
-Invest in setting spray and primers, they're vital in making sure your work lasts.
-Always make sure to bring a variety of lashes (you can never have too many)
-Tissues, tissues, tissues. You'll go through a few per shoot. I always stock up on these.
-Bring lotion. I've saved so many models with this. It's very often an afterthought for most until their legs are bare.
-Gum or mints. When you're inches away from someone's face the last thing you want is for them to know what you ate for breakfast or lunch.
-Make sure you have phone numbers. Accidents, delays, and miscommunications happen. It's better to have someone's number than having to fiddle around on your iPhone with your fingers crossed that they check Model Mayhem to see your message.

Jun 24 14 11:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

didi_clark

San Francisco, California, US

Paper Towels!!  Just in case, I have shot at so many locations and someone (self included) has  always needed paper towels....happy shooting

Jun 25 14 10:50 am Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Snacks, water, sunscreen, careful of the sun.  Both for you and the model.  A hat.  Smaller bag like a fanny pack in case you need to do a quick move away from the location.  Wet whips.  Plastic bag for trash.  And for god sake comfortable shoes!  R-

Jun 25 14 02:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lapin Jacqueline

New York, New York, US

Bring a small manicure kit with remover and a clear topcoat because you never know! One time I did a shoot and the client wanted the talent to have natural nails and she had chipped red polish on (they were shooting close-ups of her using a phone)....I had to send a PA to get me nail stuff from the nearest drug store! Now I always bring a small nail kit just in case.

Jun 30 14 12:51 pm Link