Forums > Events > Sept. 6th - Big Bear Cabin Fashion Workshop

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Los Angeles, California, US

UPDATE!!!  Date moved to the 13th to better accomodate models and a couple photographers

SOLD OUT!

Going to get a head start on this one to allow people to save up, and give those who weren't able to attend the dunes ws a chance to attend one wink

*note* will probably finish the year with one more "Testing for Agencies) WS during the last quarter, but this will be the last location workshop this year. 

Been talking about this one for a while; finally going to make it happen.  Hosting a workshop at a cabin in Big Bear.  Learn to shoot those sexy/edgy lounging about images, akin to American Apparel and Wildfox. 
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140810/22/53e84f4d8b621.jpg

Topics will include:

Shooting on location (a rustic/quaint cabin in big bear lake)
Working with composition to keep you from getting those same boring straight on images everyone else gets
Direction for both the expressive "American Apparel" vibe, and the more moody dramatic lounging around sexy vibe
Shooting minimal wardrobe (shorts/tanks, lingerie, and less) properly
Using reflections properly
And finally, telling a story with your images

This will be a full 8hr workshop, with ~90mins of lecture time and Q&A (with the usual one on one instruction following afterwards during the shoot portion), followed by 6.5hrs of shooting time, and a post shoot wrap.  Food and drinks provided as well.  The option to book models afterwards into the evening for a quick shoot to apply what you've learned will also be available on a limited basis (inquire for details).

Note: Just a heads up part of the workshop will involve nudity akin to the examples seen in this post.  There will be variety including casual wardrobe to begin with including bodsuits, tanks/shorts, and underwear, but just want to give a heads up as to the "body" portion of the ws.

Details/Info:
Cost:$550
Apparently there was some confusion with the wording of this part, so I'll continue to honor the $450 price for the last 2 spots.

Capped at 8 spots

Edit: There was some questions last time; we had a photographer pay for 2 "spots" and due to a friend not being able to make it, he used both.  This is allowed, as it's technically just a time frame with shooting that you're purchasing.  If you'd like to never break or wait on another photographer and shoot straight through than email for details.

Methods of Payment:
Paypal to [email protected]

Cancellations:
Full refund if cancelled prior to 8/16
Half refund if cancelled after 8/16, but prior to 8/30
No refunds if cancelled after 8/30

Location: Big Bear Lake, exact address to be disclosed 1 week prior to workshop date

Time: 10:30am-6pm

Models:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140810/22/53e84f530215b.jpg
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140810/22/53e84f54901c4.jpg
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140810/22/53e84f518064e.jpg

What you need to bring:  Camera body, ideally something that performs fairly well in low light (ISO 800-1600), fast lenses, and a wide angle option.  On camera flash would be ideal too for one portion of the WS.

Jun 28 14 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Edit: posts consolidated, models listed above

Jun 28 14 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

A couple questions so far that I've received:

"How many models will there be?"
Depends on how many sign-ups there are.  There will be a 2:1 photographer:model ratio as always.

"Why are you posting this so soon?""Why the early cut-off date for sign-ups"etc
The early cut-off and registration is for the purpose of dealing with the cabin rental/property mgr, as they'll need a confirmation as early as possible and how many people we will have for rates purposes.

"Any chance for discounts if we attended the last one?"
Unfortunately no, since the majority of money will be going to the location rental, and getting quality models...there isn't any room to offer more than the early-bird signup rate.  If you want to shoot mediocre models that everyone else has worked with at a local park for $100 then feel free to check out www.meetup.com smile

Jun 30 14 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Edit: 2 spots gone, 6 left. 

6 total needed to go through with ws.  Again, final payments/registration due no later than August 16th for reservation purposes.

Jul 02 14 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Another model added, see above!

5 weeks left to signup before cut-off date.

Jul 07 14 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

3 spots gone, starting to fill up...reserve your spot today or miss out on another great day of learning and shooting!

Jul 08 14 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

"Can you elaborate on what the lesson plan is?"

The short version: You'll learn how I shoot the way I do.  This is with an emphasis on expressive, raw, natural, and sexy.

The long version:
This workshop assumes you know how to operate a camera, and speedlight, and have at least a lens with a max aperture of f2.8

We'll start with an overview of how to approach shooting a new location.  This will include learning how to identify things in a location (in this case a cabin) that will work for a variety of concepts.  Learning how to "see" things differently and prepare accordingly for the shot can often times give your photo that extra "ooomph" that will help it stand out from others.  We'll learn how to find something that will not be too distracting to allow you to focus on the subject (model), and we'll talk about how to work with something that is busy, and how to use that to your advantage.  Concepts like "personality" for your location will be discussed, and how they play a role in the direction of the shoot as well.

Next will be composition, and how minor changes to simple things can create a more dynamic image and aide in the telling of a story.  We'll discuss how little things will alter the viewers interpretation of the scene, and how to use that to your advantage. 

Direction: While the models booked for this workshop are good enough that you can simply say "I want to shoot this" or show them a photo, I do realize that sometimes on shoots we need to step in and provide direction in order to get a specific look.  I'll go over how to approach this, in real time.  I'll discuss key things I bring up with models, and how I get them "in the mood" to shoot various things, ranging from playful, coy, animated, and sexy images.  We'll also discuss more about what to do to keep the shoot light-hearted and being social in general with models.  This is a big part of getting them to open up and relax.

"Shooting minimal wardrobe" will focus on the crux of this shoot: learning how to use what's at hand, in this case lingerie, bodysuits, tanks/tees and even nothing at all to somehow create an image that is about more than what the model is wearing (or not) and is about the overall scene and story you're telling (leading into "Telling a story with your images").  Underwear seems like it'd be an easy one right?  Wrong.  Far too often do I see mistakes with casual/basic wardrobe.  Basics are tricky in that if you do it right, it's possible to focus on the subject and mood/story your painting....but if you do it wrong, it will distract from what you're trying to do and look "cheap" or like you half-assed it.  We'll focus on simple tips and tricks to do it properly smile

In addition, we'll do a couple of my things that I've become known for, including working with reflections, on camera flash photography, and moody/dramatic portraits.

It's going to be a long day, with lots of instruction so come ready to learn!

Jul 09 14 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

5 spots left, one month left to sign-up!

Jul 12 14 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

4 down, 4 left!

Jul 14 14 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

3 left, looks like we'll be down to 2 by the end of the week smile

Jul 17 14 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Bump

Jul 25 14 02:29 am Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Still 3 spots left, discounted pricing ends Saturday evening...after that it's $550, no exceptions.

Jul 29 14 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Update, there's been questions about models and the location:

The following models are confirmed:
Edit: See original post for models

Location will be disclosed Sept1st once we have all signups

Jul 30 14 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Update: Another spot sold, so that leaves 2 spots left, and 2 weeks left to signup.

Aug 02 14 11:51 pm Link

Model

Xo Megan Xo

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Any model spots left? Big Bear is my favorite place on earth! This location will be great smile

Aug 10 14 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Xo Megan Xo wrote:
Any model spots left? Big Bear is my favorite place on earth! This location will be great smile

Nope, confirmed all the models already for this smile

Aug 11 14 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Bump:

Cabin booked, models confirmed, and info sent out to all those that paid so far (check your emails guys).  Still have 2 spots available before we close down signups

Aug 18 14 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Only one spot left smile

Sep 01 14 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Update: I've decided to cancel my acct here, time to move on to better things.  If you've signed up and need to get a hold of me please respond to the emails I've sent out.  Thanks

Sep 08 14 05:05 pm Link