Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Portfolio Collaborations- Paying Photorgahers??

Makeup Artist

Lidia N

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I am in need of remaking my portfolio. I am trying to get into a Makeup Agency and I have sent them my portfolio. What they told me is that my makeup is good but that I need to put industry models in my book.

I live in a smaller city and have worked with models from the two agencies offered here. The models in my book are agency models, and I have done may shoots in the past and never received any prints no matter how much I asked (even though it was agreed to give me prints)

I really need help in how someone gets prints or paid work for their portfolio. I was thinking of messaging photographers in other cities who's work I admire and asking them if they could do a shoot with me, and I would offer to pay for the prints. Is that a good idea? Do people normally pay higher end photographers to work with them?

I don't want to keep doing shoots and not get anything back from it!

Any suggestions or advice on how you build your portfolios would be greatly appreciated!! smile

Aug 14 14 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Lidia N wrote:
... trying to get into a Makeup Agency...

Wise career move...

Lidia N wrote:
...What they told me is ... I need to put industry models in my book...

This is industry standard... what works best is tearsheets, or celebrities i.e. having Kate Moss in your book would endear you to nearly any booker... the term "indusry" oft denotes commercial advertising...  not seeing tearsheets in your book...

Lidia N wrote:
...I live in a smaller city and have worked with models from the two agencies offered here. The models in my book are agency models...

Possibly work with talent from agencies with a higher profile than Swish and/or Panache...

Lidia N wrote:
have done may shoots in the past and never received any prints no matter how much I asked (even though it was agreed to give me prints)

When I'm shooting for a client the only guarantee for team members is monitory recompense... Many times the client will request that imagery not be released till it's in print which may be six months or more... then there are licensing issues... I have no problem with promotional release for non client work... client work? Sorry the client is paying for the full team and thus will have ultimate control over usage unless agreed upon (in writing) by all parties... 

Lidia N wrote:
I really need help in how someone gets prints or paid work for their portfolio. I was thinking of messaging photographers in other cities who's work I admire and asking them if they could do a shoot with me, and I would offer to pay for the prints. Is that a good idea? Do people normally pay higher end photographers to work with them?

Commercial photographers may either give you a discount or accept services in trade however they will be located in major markets...

Lidia N wrote:
I don't want to keep doing shoots and not get anything back from it!

If you are being paid, that is recompense... for those who ignore your request, do not continue to collaborate... experience is a brutal teacher...

Lidia N wrote:
Any suggestions or advice on how you build your portfolios would be greatly appreciated!! smile

Building a strong team is possibly one of the most important aspects of breaking into the "industry" 

While I have an advantage of doing the makeup and then capturing it instead I have found more value working on large projects which result in tearsheets of merit...
example with named credit

Patience is a virtue... align with the top key players in your market... or if you are truly serious about agency work then please consider relocating in a major market in as Winnipeg isn't an advertising mecca... Toronto if you want to stay in Canada...  Chicago or better yet NYC if migrating to the US 

Yes location matters as well I know... most of my high end assignments come via NYC advertising agencies who need talent in the DC market...  The pay is exceptional but I never see the end product... enough said...

Hope this helps...

All the best on your journey...

Aug 14 14 10:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lidia N

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Thanks! Very helpful information smile

Aug 14 14 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

wynnesome

Long Beach, California, US

I would give the same advice as I would to a model needing to build portfolio.  Hire a photographer. Then you are the client contracting for services, the shoot is to your specifications, and you know exactly what you're paying and what you'll be receiving.

In your case as stylist, you'd also need to hire the models you want to be working with.

If you can find people to "collaborate" with, by all means; however be prepared to continue to be subject to issues with quality and reliability. 

Bottom line, you need something specific for your portfolio, so in a sense you're not really looking for a collaboration. You're looking for people to shoot what you need, and should hire the proper personnel to do the job right, as an investment in your career.

Aug 14 14 03:01 pm Link