Forums > Model Colloquy > This Might Get Me In Trouble But...

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Don't some people look "timeless"?

Sometimes a casting call will state "20-25 years". I have met people older than that that look younger and vice versa.

it shouldn't be about real age as much as about apparent age, i think

Aug 19 14 02:12 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

AndyD10 wrote:

If you're shooting an advertisement for an anti aging cream, book a 30yo model and claim she's 45 then it might matter to an advertising standards watchdog smile

I used to sell cosmetics and skin care for a French department store brand. Their niche was anti-aging lotions and creams. I had a Hell of a time selling much because the customers assumed(and sometimes told me) that I didn't need and therefore didn't use the products! BTW I did use some and I still do.

Why in the heck would a 30 year old claim to be 45 anyway?

Aug 19 14 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

I am more concerned with a model having good skin than age. Less time retouching makes me happy. I can see where age might be an issue for some but for my work it doesn't matter all that much. I actually prefer a more mature model at times because they show up to work and they don't spend the day texting.

Aug 19 14 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

UPDATED ORIGINAL POST!  Thanks everyone for participating.

Aug 19 14 07:41 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:
UPDATED ORIGINAL POST!  Thanks everyone for participating.

We did answer your questions, and engaged in civil discussion.

One should not seek validation of one's personal opinions on online message boards, then feel frustrated when they do not receive the affirmations that motivated them to start the discussion.

Aug 19 14 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Koryn wrote:

One should not seek validation of one's personal opinions on online message boards, then feel frustrated when they do not receive the affirmations that motivated them to start the discussion.

I did look through them just now and I did see some civil replies.  I started this post last night and not long after it went up I was already being talked down to so I decided to stop reading after attempting to, but failing to, get the person to chill.  I can now see that the conversation has shifted gears since then.  By the way, I wasn't trying to get any validation or to hear specific things.  I'm not sure where you are gathering that from.  I came on here because I wanted to hear real answers from the models themselves and from models that know of other people that do it.  And like I said, when conversation shifted I lost interest, that's all.

Aug 19 14 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

East West

Los Angeles, California, US

Magda Kulpinska wrote:
Don't some people look "timeless"?

Sometimes a casting call will state "20-25 years". I have met people older than that that look younger and vice versa.

it shouldn't be about real age as much as about apparent age, i think

I agree with Magda, apparent age is the most important....EXCEPT when there's the minimum age requirements for nudity and alcohol ads then real age is mandatory.

Aug 19 14 08:07 pm Link

Model

Payton Hailey

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Koryn wrote:

very well put!

Aug 19 14 08:36 pm Link

Model

Payton Hailey

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

By reading the OP it seems as if you are only upset at models saying they are younger but appearing (or sometimes actually being) older. I don't know if it wasn't mentioned, but I saw no complaint of models who appeared 20 but had an age of 35 set.

Aug 19 14 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Cayleigh Chaos wrote:
By reading the OP it seems as if you are only upset at models saying they are younger but appearing (or sometimes actually being) older. I don't know if it wasn't mentioned, but I saw no complaint of models who appeared 20 but had an age of 35 set.

No, you don't want to spend time and effort to set up a casting and then find out your date model turns out to be some older chick.

Inaccurate ages leads to Chaos and the whole system breaks down!!!

Aug 19 14 08:44 pm Link