Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > "white face" for tan individuals

Model

Vi Synster

Jesup, Georgia, US

So question for all the body painters and cosmetic artists (mostly cosmetic artists)

If you have a really dark skinned individual come in and say they want to have a white face (their face is completely covered in white make up), what's the best way to do it?

I tan super easy and am often dark colored because of my tanning abilities. I want to look like harley quin from the DC universe for halloween, but given my tan skin, it's often tough to pull off the white face make up without feeling like I have to put tons of layers on my skin to not make it look patchy.

Aug 30 14 10:54 am Link

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Sacramento, California, US

Many cosplayers use Mehron Starblend or Ben Nye magic Cake for this effect. Both are easy to find online and in local costume shops.

I am in love with this simple brush for this effect.  I have been using it with volunteer actors in Haunted attraction - so easy, fast application, smooth base.....

http://www.thepaintednavel.com/Mehron-S … -s-110.htm

http://www.thepaintednavel.com/Body-Pai … -br-rb.htm

Aug 30 14 11:26 am Link

Model

Vi Synster

Jesup, Georgia, US

Every time I use ben nye, my face breaks out in rashes. I don't know what's in their products that makes me have such a bad reaction hmm normally it's only metallic based things that makes me have such a bad reaction

Aug 30 14 07:15 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Mehron Paradise blends well. And there's Wolf FX which is the best white I've worked with for hand painting (I use airbrush for solid coverage).

Are you sensitive to perfumes and fragrances? Some of these brands do use fragrance - I know Kryolan's can give sneezing fit and on a bad day, a headache.

Sep 01 14 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

nvm

Sep 01 14 12:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Janine

San Francisco, California, US

Illamasqua makes a pure white foundation that is fantastic. I use it for highlighting mostly, but it can be applied as an opaque foundation too.

HOWEVER...Sephora no longer carries Illamasqua. I think Bloomies is slowly starting to carry it though.

Sep 05 14 03:58 am Link