Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > How often do you upgrade your electronics?

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Cherrystone wrote:

Never had a problem with the amp...other than blowing out two sets of speakers. smile
Finally I built a monster pair that could withstand the volume.
I had two other sets of speaker hooked up to it also, never a problem pushing out max volume.

When I bought those they cost me 5 weeks gross wages at the time. The Marantz I got now....eh, it's ok, but it's not that Sansui.

I'm curious. Were you in the military? When I was in the business a **lot** of military guys came back from overseas with some really nice Sansui stuff that they had snagged for pennies on the dollar. The biggest problem I had (other than repairing it for them) was trying to finagle warranty coverage here in the states (technically they were not covered - but we got very creative - as it were - cough - cough).

Sep 14 14 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I think I might need to replace my sub-woofer soon.  I think the loud burp-fart sound is coming out if it.  It's 13 years old.

Sep 14 14 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lohkee wrote:

I'm curious. Were you in the military? When I was in the business a **lot** of military guys came back from overseas with some really nice Sansui stuff that they had snagged for pennies on the dollar. The biggest problem I had (other than repairing it for them) was trying to finagle warranty coverage here in the states (technically they were not covered - but we got very creative - as it were - cough - cough).

Yes, but I bought it in Grosse Pointe, Michigan. Lot of my buddies back in those days came back with a fuckton of electronics from Japan, or were mailing stuff back to friends and family. It was easy to do back when.

While the named changed a bit back, it's still a stereo store all these years later.

Sep 14 14 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Cherrystone wrote:
While the named changed a bit back, it's still a stereo store all these years later.

I'm almost afraid to ask why you let it go.

Marantz is nice if you have a forklift to move the damn things (at least the ones I worked on). They weighed a freaking tonne!

Trivia - seems a lot of the Sansui stuff I worked on was snagged by soldiers via the Philippines.

Sep 14 14 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lohkee wrote:
I'm almost afraid to ask why you let it go.

Marantz is nice if you have a forklift to move the damn things (at least the ones I worked on). They weighed a freaking tonne!

Trivia - seems a lot of the Sansui stuff I worked on was snagged by soldiers via the Philippines.

Wanted a audio-video amp to handle the new DVD's & pro dolby logic. Guy offered me $350- for both, which was a tad more than half I paid for them, and after using for 26 yrs.

That means it cost me a net $1.13 a month for use. Hell yes. smile

https://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/QuadBob/FaceOn.jpg

Sep 14 14 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

I just don't feel the need to always have the newest toy...
Sometimes the decision to replace is made by itself(I abuse the fuck out of my laptops and phones)and have no choice

But ...cameras for instant
The only one I bough that was a current model was the 50D..resisted the urge to upgrade to the 7D for years,just kept getting used 50Ds that worked well...till I found a 7D for a stupid cheap price,while I'm kinda tempted by the mythical 7D ll...methinks I will just get another used 7D
And do like I did with my 50d's.....
I hate change as well,lol

I still have a VCR from 1989,and my AIWA desktop stereo syste from 1990..

Sep 14 14 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Chris Rifkin wrote:
I just don't feel the need to always have the newest toy...
Sometimes the decision to replace is made by itself(I abuse the fuck out of my laptops and phones)and have no choice

Wait! I'm old and maybe confused, but aren't you the dude that cooks dinner on the engine in his 18 wheeler? No wonder nothing lasts. lol

Sep 14 14 03:59 pm Link